Let The Countdown Begin!

mp327
mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member

I was diagnosed with anal cancer on June 18, 2008 and finished up my chemo/radiation on September 9, 2008.  I have experienced a lot since then, some good, some not so good.  I rejoiced and celebrated when I reached the 5-year mark in 2013.  I remember being so happy to be alive and relatively well, despite a few of those pesky side effects that never seemed to go away. 

Since I reached the 5-year benchmark, a lot has happened.  I have had numerous, very painful intestinal blockages (although none for quite awhile, knock on wood).  My beloved medical oncologist suddenly died in late 2015.  I was diagnosed with Chronic Kidney Disease.  I was told I probably have malabsorption syndrome (which explains my inability to gain weight).  My hips and spine are apparently full of holes, thanks to osteoporosis.  I found out just recently that I have early stage glaucoma, in addition to my nystagmus.  I have had hydrocephalus since birth, causing frequent mind-bending headaches.   I'm sure I've forotten something, but that's quite a list.

Despite all of the above, I have done a lot since my treatment ended.  I gave up volunteering to build houses, as being on a jobsite with unpredictable bowels was just too iffy.  Instead, in addition to Cancer Survivors Network, I joined a couple other cancer support sites and hope that, in some way, I have helped someone who needed to hear from someone who had been through this treatment, a treatment that they were/are facing.  I check CSN and the other 2 sites daily to see if I can provide any support or input that will help someone.  Sadly, there are so many people taking this same journey.  However, I do feel, after connecting with many, that treatment may be improved since I went through chemo/rad.  I hope so, anyway.  There are some different chemo drugs in use now and new types of radiation seem to take in a smaller blast zone, if you will, for some people who have access to the latest technology.  

Of course, the sad part of getting to know people on support sites is seeing them go through treatment that is not successful.  I have lost more virtual friends than I care to count.  Many of them cross my mind now and then and it always begs the question "Why not me?  Why them?"  There are, thankfully, many of my virtual friends who can now call themselves survivors who have successfully beaten the beast.  Some of these people I have met in person, some not, but they are all special people to me.  Knowing people with such strength and courage gives me the same in return--I swear it's contagious.  They have been supportive when I have needed hugs and they have been there to give me virtual high fives when I have had something to celebrate.

Well, today I saw my colorectal surgeon for my yearly checkup, complete with DRE and anoscope.  I don't know why, but I was extra nervous today.  I guess the thought of anything keeping me from reaching the 10-year survivor mark was overwhelming me.  I guess I could have waited to see her after September 9th. had passed and celebrated prior to my appointment, oblivious to what might or might not "be there."  But, I saw her a little early this year, due to some upcoming trips.  I will actually be spending September 9th., my big anniversary day, in the car for a 10-hour drive home from a trip.  That should be fun--breakfast at McDonald's and dinner at Cracker Barrel!  LOL!  So anyway, everything checked out A-OK today, which was a big relief to me.  Of course, the big "C" word came out of her mouth--no, not cancer, "colonoscopy."  I knew it was coming.  I told her that she's just going to have to wait until October to go any further up my butt than she was able to today, as my insurance will be changing on October 1st.  That's my birthday month and I, because of my age, will be switching to a Medicare Advantage healthcare insurance plan, which will pay much better for a colonoscopy than my current coverage.  She was okay with that.  I already have my prep instructions, so it's gonna happen.  

So, I have 33 days, as of today, before I can say I'm a 10-year survivor.  Let the countdown begin!

Of course, I couldn't have done it without all of my CSN friends.  Y'all are the best support.  I cannot thank you enough for hanging in here with me all these years.  I really couldn't imagine having done this alone.  You gals and guys are awesome!  As I head towards taking on the next 10 years, please know that you are all so very special to me.  Big thanks and lots of love to you all.   

Comments

• ACinNC
    ACinNC Member Posts: 46
    10 years

MP327,

I'm going to assume the best and say congratulations on NED at 10 years.

It's good to hear your perspective on living through these 10 years since your AC journey started. I've  only been on this forum approx 1 year but know you are always here to respond when needed.  Your wisdom and experience has been helpful to me as I'm  sure it has to countless others. 

I just had a (sort of) colonoscopy last week and will post my sad but funny experience in another thread.

• eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    Martha...

Your experience and willingness to share it has helped and supported so many people over the years, and I personally, graciously thank you for that. Its so easy to fall away from this site especially when feeling good, but although some brief breaks are also necessary, you have always returned with a virtual hug of strength when I have needed it most.

I had hoped to meet you in person a couple years ago on my travels through, but car issues and schedules caused me to change direction slightly. While my health status becomes concerning at times, (like now) my plan is still to manage to hit the road for a couple more trips before too long...I sure hope our paths can cross one day.

You best pre-order the best cheesecake that Cracker Barrel has because you deserve to enjoy every single bite! I'll join you from afar in celebration!

Thank you again, for your ever so appreciated knowledge, support, and love. My wish is that you enjoy many many more decades of healthy celebration and that any glitches that may get in the way, are easily managed.

katheryn

• mp327
    ACinNC said:

10 years

MP327,

I'm going to assume the best and say congratulations on NED at 10 years.

It's good to hear your perspective on living through these 10 years since your AC journey started. I've  only been on this forum approx 1 year but know you are always here to respond when needed.  Your wisdom and experience has been helpful to me as I'm  sure it has to countless others. 

I just had a (sort of) colonoscopy last week and will post my sad but funny experience in another thread.

ACinNC

Thank you for your kind comments.  I really think I will make it to 10 years and beyond!  I will await your post regarding your colonoscopy and hope that all is well with you.  Thank you again for thinking of me.

• mp327
    katheryn

Thank you so much for your sweet comments!  You have been quite an inspiration to me over these years and I continue to be amazed at your courage and strength.  I would love to meet you in person some day as well and hope that we can make that happen!  For now, please know that I am with you in spirit as you tackle your current health challenge.  I know that if anyone can get through this, it's you!  I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all of your support--you are a very special person to me!  Hugs!

• mxperry220
    mxperry220 Member Posts: 493 Member
    edited August 2018 #6
    Right Behind You

Congratulations Martha.  I will hit my 10 year mark January 2019.  I have to get a colonoscopy by year end of 2018.  I have to get one every three years.  They always find polyps both precancerous and non cancerous.  I loathe the prep treatment but there is no other alternative.  Glad everything checked out  A Okay with you.

• HeatherApril14
    HeatherApril14 Member Posts: 15
    Martha Thank you for your

Martha Thank you for your update.  I know that whenever I see someone new on this site that YOU will welcome them and offer your support and experience, like when I  first posted.  Even though I am NED, and a relative AC newbie, only finishing treatment early this year, I also check out this site at least every week or so to see if there is anything I can add - hope, help, insight or compassion to others  like you have done.  Enjoy the trips, CrackerBarrell, and just living life to fullest.   

Heather - McHenry IL

• mp327
    edited August 2018 #8

Right Behind You

Congratulations Martha.  I will hit my 10 year mark January 2019.  I have to get a colonoscopy by year end of 2018.  I have to get one every three years.  They always find polyps both precancerous and non cancerous.  I loathe the prep treatment but there is no other alternative.  Glad everything checked out  A Okay with you.

Mike

Yes, I remember that you are only a few months behind me!  That's great!  Thank you for the congrats and I hope to be saying the same to you in January!

• mp327
    edited August 2018 #9
    Heather

Thank you for your sweet comments!  I hope I'm around to wish you the same kind of congratulations when you hit all those important milestones!

• Kim Gaia
    Kim Gaia Member Posts: 73
    Congratulations on nearing

Congratulations on nearing your 10-year NED!!! And thank you for being active on this site. :)

kim

• mp327
    edited August 2018 #11
    Kim Gaia

Thank you so much, Kim! 

• Mollymaude
    Mollymaude Member Posts: 431 Member
    Martha

It takes such a special person to check posts daily on this site plus two others! You have certainly helped me and your advice and wisdom is always welcome. I am so happy for you and your ten years NED! 

• mp327

Martha

It takes such a special person to check posts daily on this site plus two others! You have certainly helped me and your advice and wisdom is always welcome. I am so happy for you and your ten years NED! 

Mollymaude

Thank you so much for your sweet comments!  I appreciate that more than you know.  I have found such great support here from you and so many others, which is why I keep checking in.  This place is my security blanket, I guess!  I hope you are doing well and I thank you for all your support!  Take good care!

• Blue Moon
    Blue Moon Member Posts: 6
    mp327

Thank you for everything you do and for helping so many people.  Just being here is a major help to everyone.  Congratulation on your 10 years milestone

• mp327
    Blue Moon said:

mp327

Thank you for everything you do and for helping so many people.  Just being here is a major help to everyone.  Congratulation on your 10 years milestone

Blue Moon

Thank you so very much for your kind words!  I hope you are doing well!

• Ouch_Ouch_Ouch
    Ouch_Ouch_Ouch Member Posts: 508 Member
    Martha, mp327.

Martha, M'am - 

You are definitely the backbone of this forum. I'm sorry that you went through all that stuff and hope it's all "behind" you. 

.^_^.

• mp327
    edited August 2018 #17

Martha, mp327.

Martha, M'am - 

You are definitely the backbone of this forum. I'm sorry that you went through all that stuff and hope it's all "behind" you. 

.^_^.

Ouch

You are so very sweet--thank you!  I'm doing fine, but the real question is how are you doing?  You are often in my thoughts.  Please update when you can and take care!

• pializ
    pializ Member Posts: 508 Member
    MP327

We will all be celebrating with you Martha! i consider you a valued virtual friend who really helped me get through treatment and then the monitoring scanxiety and examinations under anaesthetic. I completed therapy in January 2013 & thanks to the advice I gleaned from you and other members of this rather special group of people, I coped pretty well with the treatment. Strangely I was recently looking at the correspondence between my colorectal surgeon, oncologist and GP. 

Anyway, so September 9th is in my diary and I will raise a glass to you To both celebrate your 10 year anniversary and also to thank you for your support which you give so selflessly.

& I officially retire from nursing tomorrow 31sr August. 

• Ouch_Ouch_Ouch
    Ouch_Ouch_Ouch Member Posts: 508 Member
    eihtak said:

Martha...

Your experience and willingness to share it has helped and supported so many people over the years, and I personally, graciously thank you for that. Its so easy to fall away from this site especially when feeling good, but although some brief breaks are also necessary, you have always returned with a virtual hug of strength when I have needed it most.

I had hoped to meet you in person a couple years ago on my travels through, but car issues and schedules caused me to change direction slightly. While my health status becomes concerning at times, (like now) my plan is still to manage to hit the road for a couple more trips before too long...I sure hope our paths can cross one day.

You best pre-order the best cheesecake that Cracker Barrel has because you deserve to enjoy every single bite! I'll join you from afar in celebration!

Thank you again, for your ever so appreciated knowledge, support, and love. My wish is that you enjoy many many more decades of healthy celebration and that any glitches that may get in the way, are easily managed.

katheryn

Not forgetting to include you.

eihtak (Katheryn) - I am grieved to hear of your most unpleasant and unwelcomed surprise. I heartily wish you all the best. If mp327 (Martha) is the spine of this forum, you are definitely the ribs. Or the pelvis, your choice!

• mp327
    pializ said:

MP327

We will all be celebrating with you Martha! i consider you a valued virtual friend who really helped me get through treatment and then the monitoring scanxiety and examinations under anaesthetic. I completed therapy in January 2013 & thanks to the advice I gleaned from you and other members of this rather special group of people, I coped pretty well with the treatment. Strangely I was recently looking at the correspondence between my colorectal surgeon, oncologist and GP. 

Anyway, so September 9th is in my diary and I will raise a glass to you To both celebrate your 10 year anniversary and also to thank you for your support which you give so selflessly.

& I officially retire from nursing tomorrow 31sr August. 

pializ

How sweet of you!  I nearly cried reading your comments.  Thank you so very much!  I feel that there are so many people in this discussion group who contribute so much and I'm just one of the group.  We all need each other at a time in our lives when we don't know where to turn.  I have learned so much from the other posters and wish I had had the benefit of this group when I was going through treatment.  I really appreciate your support and the support of so many others!  I hope you are doing well and thank you for being such a wonderful virtual friend!  Hugs!

• mp327

Not forgetting to include you.

eihtak (Katheryn) - I am grieved to hear of your most unpleasant and unwelcomed surprise. I heartily wish you all the best. If mp327 (Martha) is the spine of this forum, you are definitely the ribs. Or the pelvis, your choice!

Ouch

I agree with your sentiments about Katheryn!