Sore throat when speaking... feeling worried.

Ho all. I am 5 weeks post treatment of my right tonsil SCC and multiple right lymph nodes, hpv positive. Finished 33 rads on july 6th last month.

I am very scared as i feel sore throat and little pain on the right side while i speak. I dont know whethet it is caused by radiation or something else more serious. I am specially worried of any leftove tumor at the base of tongue or linguil tonsil that hurts when i speak. Please let me know wheter it is fine. I am seeing my dr after 3 weeks and have no other reliable source to consult with. Would be greatly thankful if you could tell me something from your knowledge or experience. Thanks. 

Comments

• tommyodavey
    tommyodavey Member Posts: 728 Member
    Not to Worry

That is pretty normal side effects from the radiation treatment.  Your vocal cords are normally exposed to it and that effects your ability to speak clearly.  My voice got hoarse fairly fast and it still is after more than 6 years out.  My singing voice used to be good but no more.  Can't hit any of the high notes and I'm raspy if I talk too long.

Talk to either your radiation oncologist or your regular doctor just to make sure.  IMO, it's nothing to worry about.  Time will heal most of it.

• johnsonbl
    johnsonbl Member Posts: 266 Member
    Agree with tommyodavey...

I'm almost 18 months out and raspyness, hoarseness hit me if I talk to much or try to get too loud.  It gets better but will always be there...  Little tickles that can bring on a quick cough.  Pretty normal.  You're just not far enough out from treatment...  You'll have lots of weird sensations over the next year.  You'll continue to be hypersensitiive to any weird feelings or sensations.  Perfectly normal.  I've gone in probably 3-4 times over the 1st year, sure my cancer was back because I felt weird...  They smiled, looked me over and said I was fine and to call them again if I felt "weird".  They understand.  :-)

Everything will be different now...  If allergies didn't bother you before, they might now.  Minor colds that you would have blown off before might actually cause some discomfort with sore throats.  It will take a few months before you start to get comfortable with how your throat feels now.

Remind us, did you have surgery/radiation or radiation/chemo?

• Andrea39
    Andrea39 Member Posts: 36
    edited August 2018 #4
    johnsonbl said:

Agree with tommyodavey...

I'm almost 18 months out and raspyness, hoarseness hit me if I talk to much or try to get too loud.  It gets better but will always be there...  Little tickles that can bring on a quick cough.  Pretty normal.  You're just not far enough out from treatment...  You'll have lots of weird sensations over the next year.  You'll continue to be hypersensitiive to any weird feelings or sensations.  Perfectly normal.  I've gone in probably 3-4 times over the 1st year, sure my cancer was back because I felt weird...  They smiled, looked me over and said I was fine and to call them again if I felt "weird".  They understand.  :-)

Everything will be different now...  If allergies didn't bother you before, they might now.  Minor colds that you would have blown off before might actually cause some discomfort with sore throats.  It will take a few months before you start to get comfortable with how your throat feels now.

Remind us, did you have surgery/radiation or radiation/chemo?

Thanks for your responses.

Thanks for your responses. They took out my right tonsil for biopsy to find the primary cancer. Then I had 4 weekly doses of chemo in March-April and 7 weeks (33 rads) of radiation with two doses of chemo in week first and fifth. Treatment ended on 5th of July. 

For last two days i am not talking much and feeling lesser pain and soreness/itchiness. Keep me in prayers. 

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,724 Member
    my throat , what is wrong?

A39,

I have been in your post treatment position myself, along with the aches and pains, and scares, which fill your healing time with wonder, confusion, gratefulness and (a little) doubt.

You are normal on the Matt Healing Scale, but drink more water, eat something (anything) and check in with your doctor if this does not improve to what (many) of us call your new normal.

My new normal is going into the kitchen and look in the fridge for something to eat (I believe there is still a little potato salad, cross my fingers).

Matt

p.s.  I did have a real bad sore throat at 1 year post and iit was terrible.  My radiation revised throat was no match for the discomfort and pain of a real normal sore throat (it may have been strep throat).  Anyway, one full and unopened bottle of magic mouth wash and I was in control.

• skidog
    skidog Member Posts: 74 Member
    same here

Andrea, 4 weeks post rads here from cancer in right tonsil and right lymph. Same symptoms you are having and doc says all normal. no worries. 

• skidog
    edited August 2018 #7
    Andrea...see below 4 weeks post treatment

I start each week post treatment with an update(email) to my Dr. regarding the symptoms I'm dealing with "post treatment". The below example is week 4 post rads to tonsil and lymph node (right side) hope this help ease your worry. Make sure to read the Dr's response. He is the Chair of the entire Radiation Oncology dept at Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN.

Just another quick update on my recovery:

• Able to eat/chew/swallow almost normally. although right side is a bit scratchy and tender.
    • Taste is about 70%. Texture of food seems to be returning back to normal.
    • Cold and hot foods bring some discomfort.
    • Neck is back to normal although itches occasionally.
    • Energy level is about 80% back to normal.
    • Good/extended sleep is still hit or miss. 
    • Dry throat during sleep. Water bottle next to bed to help.
    • pain on right side of throat/tonsil still. especially at night.
    • Lymph on right side of neck still present but much smaller.

Thanks,

Dr.Foote: You remain right on track.  The rate of progress will slow but there will be slow steady improvement. all normal.

• Dean54
    Dean54 Member Posts: 160 Member
    You both sure have a lot of positives so soon

I'd give anything if I had 70% of my taste back and still don't like the texture of food or the fact that what I can taste doesn't match what my fading memories of that food should be.

I'm just happy to be feeling as good as I do and can live with the side effects as I know there is not a whole lot I can do about it.

Hope you both Andrea39 and skidog both keep improving.

• Andrea39
    skidog said:

Andrea...see below 4 weeks post treatment

I start each week post treatment with an update(email) to my Dr. regarding the symptoms I'm dealing with "post treatment". The below example is week 4 post rads to tonsil and lymph node (right side) hope this help ease your worry. Make sure to read the Dr's response. He is the Chair of the entire Radiation Oncology dept at Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN.

Just another quick update on my recovery:

• Able to eat/chew/swallow almost normally. although right side is a bit scratchy and tender.
    • Taste is about 70%. Texture of food seems to be returning back to normal.
    • Cold and hot foods bring some discomfort.
    • Neck is back to normal although itches occasionally.
    • Energy level is about 80% back to normal.
    • Good/extended sleep is still hit or miss. 
    • Dry throat during sleep. Water bottle next to bed to help.
    • pain on right side of throat/tonsil still. especially at night.
    • Lymph on right side of neck still present but much smaller.

Thanks,

Dr.Foote: You remain right on track.  The rate of progress will slow but there will be slow steady improvement. all normal.

Thank you so much, Dear

Thank you so much, Dear Skidog. Your answer has really relieved me of the tons of doubts and fears. Especially the way you have shared the email conversation between you and your doctor. Unfortunately, I found my dr reluctant to share his contact or email with me despite my request. Plz keep me updated of your progress. Thanks again. 

• Andrea39
    Thanks, Matt and Dean for

Thanks, Matt and Dean for your comments and responses.  Stay blessed always. 

• Andrea39
    Dear Skidog. How are you? I

Dear Skidog. How are you? I hope all is going well at yoir end. Have you had any test or scan lately? I am going to see my Dr tomorrow on post 6week followup. Scans are scheduled in late Sep or early Oct. So far It has been very slow progress. I am still feeling swaalowing problem. Cant eat through mouth. Itchiness and pain still persists at right side of neck. Also feel difficulty in talking. Feels like something in the right side of throat. I am still worried about this thing that hurts at right side. I feel as it it were swelling or some wound or maybe a scar or could be a small rising in that area which hurts/itches. Will surely discuss with my dr. Please let me know about yourself. Thanks. Have u been feeling these symptoms and how severely? Regards. 

• skidog
    Andrea39 said:

Dear Skidog. How are you? I

Dear Skidog. How are you? I hope all is going well at yoir end. Have you had any test or scan lately? I am going to see my Dr tomorrow on post 6week followup. Scans are scheduled in late Sep or early Oct. So far It has been very slow progress. I am still feeling swaalowing problem. Cant eat through mouth. Itchiness and pain still persists at right side of neck. Also feel difficulty in talking. Feels like something in the right side of throat. I am still worried about this thing that hurts at right side. I feel as it it were swelling or some wound or maybe a scar or could be a small rising in that area which hurts/itches. Will surely discuss with my dr. Please let me know about yourself. Thanks. Have u been feeling these symptoms and how severely? Regards. 

andrea...

had my 6 week post rads check up last week and doc said all looks good. still have some pain on the riight side/tonsil area but doc said thats normal. I take some magic mouthwash when needed. my right side base of tongue gets sore on occassion and when that happens i limit talking as it irritates the my throat. all normal says my doc. I am able to eat through mouth ...just about anything..except spicy or carbonated drinks. Good luck tomorrow. make sure to inform your doc of the issues you are experiencing. Hoping that your check up goes well!