Cholangiocarcinoma

Finlb
Finlb Member Posts: 1

I had whipple surgery for cancer in my common bile duct In November 2017. I am 8 months postop and now have large bowel cramps and colic after eating. My surgeon has ordered pancreatic enzymes 2 with each meal and snack. Has anyone else post whipple taken these and how long before they were effective?

Comments

• hoytswife
    hoytswife Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2018 #2
    Post Whipple

Hi Finlb,

My husband also had the whipple for cholangeocarcinoma in his common bile duct. I wish I could answer your question...he also has had large bowel cramping. I'm glad to hear that your doctor tried something...no one ever suggested enzymes for him and he has been to the ER multiple times since 2016 (when his surgery was) for the pain. Every time they look for diverticulitis and every time they tell him there is no reason for his pain. Unfortunately, the last time we went (in July) they found a lesion, and we learned he now has stage 4 liver cancer. 

I would be very interested to hear how well the enzymes work for you (he still experiences bowel pain), and you will be in our prayers!

• 2018Summer
    2018Summer Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2018 #3
    Treatment for nausea after clinical trial chemo

What are people using for nausea? My husband is in his second round of chemo and now with a clinical trial drug. He is feeling light headed and nauseas. Any suggestions?

• richnkim
    richnkim Member Posts: 31
    Prescription drugs

What prescription drugs has your dr ordered? There are alot of them so if one doesn't do the trick ask for a different one, my husband used Metoclopramide, Ondansetron and Prochlorperazine. The Prochlorperazine seemed to work the best for him, also you might try Ginger Snap cookies, ginger is a natural nausea herb that works well they make ginger in alot of things such as suckers,hard candy etc. he also tried marijuana it didn't really help for the nausea but did help him sleep at night which is needed. What clinical trial is your husband on? Did he get his tumor tested at Foundation One to look for mutations so that a targeted drug or even Keytruda may help. My husband fought this nasty cancer for 1 and a half they gave him 3 months,  when diagnosed he was Stage 4 with mets to the lungs, he just recently died Aug 28 2018.

If I can help in any way let me know. I know how devastating this diagnosis is and that with it being a rare cancer there isn't much research going on for it. I've done enough research on this cancer that I think I knew more about it than the dr's we went to did. I can't stress enough if your on one trial be looking for another one right away incase that doesn't work. When on a trial and you have side effects try to find something to lessen them without doing a dose reduction or break. Once you have to stop treatment this cancer grows FAST!!!!!! What got my husband was the 1 month "wash-out" period between trials he was 2 days short of starting his next trial but just that 4 weeks off treatment it went to his spine,lining of his stomach and around his heart and the liver went into failure quickly even though thru out this whole time his liver function was great.

I wish you guys the best of luck and be one of those who beat this monster of a cancer. God bless.