Options
2»

Comments

• GivingupKidneyPie
    GivingupKidneyPie Member Posts: 19
    edited August 2018 #22
    Options

Dear Giving

I had a radical neph 11/27/17.  2.5 cm mass stage 3a grade 2 B"H.  I had no symptoms except my blood test showed a drop in my hemaglobin and my Dr. Did every test and ultimately a MRI w/w/o contrast when I was diagnosed with RCC.  I was in SHOCK and made the mistake of reading EVERYTHING about the disease -bad choice.  Here is where you will find caring people who give you advise first hand.  My advise to you is take it slow and easy.  Lean on anyone you can physically and mentally.  Walk but don't overdue it.  Take colase and miralax for constipation. The most important advise is make sure you get a good nite sleep.  I had no fatigue I think I was too anxious and I couldn't sleep at night.  I WAS A MESS.  My Dr. Gave me a prescription for sleep which really helped.  Remember your body is going thru a big operation-it needs time to come back to itself.  I am 8 months post surgery-my life will never be the same but that's ok.  With g-ds help I am so much better almost myself.  Good luck-June

Gtngbtr58 - appreciations

all tis is helpful, thank you. after being in unaccountably good spirits for two weeks, sleep is elusive tonite.

so how wonderful it is to light up the screen & find these words of wisdom here.

vibrant wishes for your continued wonderful path. 

• GivingupKidneyPie
    Options
    Manufred said:

Movement and Opioids

Most of these replies have a similar trend. 

There isn't anything I can think of that I would recommend pre-op, except just to be as healthy as you can, whatever that may be. 

A good state of mind will help, and I found that telling people openly what was happening made it easier for me (and probably for them).  If you don't tell people, they start guessing and gossiping and things can get blown out of proportion.

I had no real opioid constipation issues, but since I had a full open cut job I was on a drip for a few days while I was getting the Morphine (Patient Controlled Analgesia, meaning you get to push the button whenever you think you need some relief), and by the time they started feeding me I was off the stuff.

Movement is medicine, especially for those of us over 60, so I agree with Rob57; do as much walking or shuffling as you can after your op, without pushing it too far.  You will get tired, so take the opportunity this gives you to sleep as much as you can.  I hope you have enough in-house support to get help with food, washing, etc.

Good luck with it and try not to worry too much beforehand. What will be will be.......

Best Wishes,

Fred

Fred

appreciations for this detail. it os a big help. 

feeling fortunate about my hubby, who can work from home a lot.

we grow veggies that he enjoys cooking up - made eggplant from our garden for me, this week!  

feeling blessed but also, as you all can tell from my questions, anxious. 

you all have no idea how much it helps to visit here & see your stories, successes, & tips

this site is quite the bee's knees.

more appreciations.

• GivingupKidneyPie
    Options
    Rob57 said:

Surgery Experience

I had a radical nephrectomy of my left kidney in May of 2012. 7.1 x 5.5 with no other issues. Lymph nodes around the kidney were clean and the surgeon was very pleased with the result. I went in for surgery at 1 pm on Tuesday and was released the next day about 11 am and back home for lunch on Wednesday. It is major surgery and it took me about three weeks to be well enough to go back to work. When I did go back to work I would get very fatigued by about 3 pm, but was able to put in full days. After one or two weeks back, the fatigue was not much of a problem. It took me about six months to get back to normal. One thing that I found to be helpful was that I got up and walked every couple of hours, no matter the time during that first three weeks. I think that I spent about 7 to 10 days on the sofa downstairs. But I would walk like clockwork. More like shuffling between the living room and dining room, but I found that the activity really helped to speed my recovery. That being said, everyone is different and you just need to find what works best for you. The worst part of the whole experience was the ride home from the hospital. My doctor used a DaVinci robot to remove my kidney and I only had smaller incisions, about four 1 inch incisions to allow for the equipment and one 3 inch incision to remove the kidney. With that process they pump you up with CO2 to let the doctor have an area inside to work in. They need to roll you over an back while you are in the hospital to dissipate the gas. I had a lot of pain from the gas moving around on the ride home, but it was short lived and once I was home I really did not have a lot of pain. Just take it easy and you will be fine. I wish you good luck on your upcoming surgery. I hope that yours will be as uneventful as mine was. 

Surgery experience

your detail is a welcome & helpful tip. my hubby had read about the CO2 gas & aftereffects from robotic (which is the kind schedule for my case) but this is the first i have read of it. having a very sensitive stomach & intensines likely it will be an issue for my post-op & it helps to be prepared. 

congratulations on your good fast recovery & for being 6 years out - that's wonderful wonderful wonderful. you just enjoyed your july 1 anniversary :) 

more appreciations

• Verbena
    Verbena Member Posts: 2 Member
    edited August 2018 #25
    Options
    Manufred said:

Ipi/Nivo

Verbena,

Welcome.  Read my profile (just click on the photo) - I am one of the success stories around combination immunotherapy.  Then I'll be happy to answer any further questions.

Best Wishes,

Fred

ipi/nivo

Thank you! I’m still learning how to use this site. 

• Deanie0916
    Deanie0916 Member Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Welcome

I am still here almost two years after radical nephrectomy 20 cm tumor. NED so far. I agree with the other posters take it slow. Walking a lot as you are able as soon as you can will help too. All the best to you.

• GivingupKidneyPie
    Options
    Surgery over report

The afternoon, three-hour surgery was followed by about the same in recovery area, with admission tohospital room about 10 p.m. a night.

Two surgeons for radical total right kidney nephrecptomy, with thrombosis in vena cava & some veins extending out to 

excise also.

After surgery told family good clear margins & still awaiting pathology report. Excellent nursing during 6 nights in hospital; day four a blood transfusion was recommended & accepted, due to plunging blood factors. No constipation recovery issues but just the opposite, due to my particular meds.

Now that I'm not attached to the bathroom any longer, my walker is staying busy at the hospital's campus hotel in our room, receiving home health care visits betwen now & the next labs/ check up before we fly home to North Florida, from Cleveland. If anyone would like a recommendation for having treatment here, we are pleased to give it. 

Appreciations for every one's encouraging words.

• GivingupKidneyPie
    Options

Welcome

I am still here almost two years after radical nephrectomy 20 cm tumor. NED so far. I agree with the other posters take it slow. Walking a lot as you are able as soon as you can will help too. All the best to you.

Deanie0916

Appreciations for these good thoughts.