Has anyone gotten Barrett's after being in remission?

davya
davya Member Posts: 5

Hi folks,  I'm seven years cacer free after chemo/radiation and surgery.  I was just diagnosed with Barrett's Esophogus.  Has anyone else had this happen? it's a little worrisome even though they think they can possibly remove all the precancerous cells.

Comments

• paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,391 Member
    They found Barretts in my last scan

Like you after 8 years of clear checkups, in my last annual endoscopy they found Barrett’s cells in the biopsy. My gastroenterologist did not feel it required immediate attention, but as you said it is "worrisome". From my research, not all Barrett’s progresses to esophageal cancer but with our history it is something to be concerned about for sure.

Best Regards,

Paul Adams

McCormick, South Carolina
    DX 10/2009 T2N1M0  Stage IIB - Ivor Lewis Surgery  12/3/2009 - Post Surgery Chemotherapy 2/2009 – 6/2009
    Cisplatin, Epirubicin, 5 FU - Eight Year Survivor

• davya
    davya Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2018 #3
    paul61 said:

They found Barretts in my last scan

Like you after 8 years of clear checkups, in my last annual endoscopy they found Barrett’s cells in the biopsy. My gastroenterologist did not feel it required immediate attention, but as you said it is "worrisome". From my research, not all Barrett’s progresses to esophageal cancer but with our history it is something to be concerned about for sure.

Best Regards,

Paul Adams

McCormick, South Carolina
    DX 10/2009 T2N1M0  Stage IIB - Ivor Lewis Surgery  12/3/2009 - Post Surgery Chemotherapy 2/2009 – 6/2009
    Cisplatin, Epirubicin, 5 FU - Eight Year Survivor

Thanks for sharing Paul!

I hope it allworks out for you Paul.  They want me to get more endoscopies...like maybe three more in the next six months...Ugh.  They may be able to burn away the precacerous cells.  I have to wait for lab results.