PARP inhibitors

Chuck Z
Chuck Z Member Posts: 22

This is my first post even though that I have been following this site for over six years. A quick history. In April of 2012, my wife was diagnosed at age 61 with PPC 3c. Later changed to ovarian. I think that was done for insurance billing purposes, and also it is easier to get the o.k. For certain tests to be done if the doctor tells the insurance company you have ovarian rather then PPC. So after the debulking and standard chemo treatments.She was NED. Early in 2014 she was diagnosed TNBC 1c in the right breast. She chose to have a lumpectomy followed by six rounds of chemo and radiation treatments. She spent 31/2 years off an on, on Avastin for maintenance. Which the doctors have said might be what has kept her NED for five plus years From Ovarian cancer. January of this year, she was diagnosed with her first reoccurrence of the Ovarian and also TNBC 1c in the left breast this time. So following a second lumpectomy and so far five rounds of carbo and Doxil. Her CA-125 count is back down to 22.  She has her last infusion in August, to followed by a PET scan. If everything looks good. Possibly a second debulklng surgery to remove any remaining cancer and repairing two hernias caused from the first debulking surgery. Now to my question. All along the plan was for her to be put on one of the new PARP inhibitors, Zejula. But in the last month the doctor has changed her mind and wants to put my wife on a newer PARP, RUBRACA. She said they are having good results with fewer side affects. Have any of you ladies been on this? If so, how has it been working for you. PS. My wife is BRACA-2 positive.

Comments

• mychen
    mychen Member Posts: 3
    Taking low dose of PARP inhabitor for maintenance

Hi, Chuck:

I just joined this network today and saw your post. How is your wife doing with Rubraca? I started taking Rubraca november 2018. Only took 4 weeks of full doses (1200 mg/day) and had to hold because of low blood counts. After 6 weeks holding, I contiuned with reduced doses (1000 mg/day). My bone still can not handle it even with 500 mg per day. Doctor has stoped me taking any PARP inhabitors. Now I don't have any treatment and maintenance. I am afraid that the cancer will be back soon. Did anybody has experience with low doses of PARP inhabitors for maintenance?

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    mychen said:

Taking low dose of PARP inhabitor for maintenance

Hi, Chuck:

I just joined this network today and saw your post. How is your wife doing with Rubraca? I started taking Rubraca november 2018. Only took 4 weeks of full doses (1200 mg/day) and had to hold because of low blood counts. After 6 weeks holding, I contiuned with reduced doses (1000 mg/day). My bone still can not handle it even with 500 mg per day. Doctor has stoped me taking any PARP inhabitors. Now I don't have any treatment and maintenance. I am afraid that the cancer will be back soon. Did anybody has experience with low doses of PARP inhabitors for maintenance?

PARP inhibitors

I'm sad to say that Chuck's wife passed away in May, 2019 from Acute Myeloid Leukemia that developed as a result of her treatment for breast and ovarian cancer. However he still posts occasionally on this and the uterine board, so I hope he sees your question.

I have uterine cancer and normally post on that board. Since PARP inhibitors are utilized mostly in ovarian cancer patients, I haven't seen a lot of comments from women on the uterine board about them. But one of our members did post an announcement about a clinical trial with Rucaparib as maintenance therapy for uterine cancer. You can read more about that trial and the dosages they are trying for maintenance at:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6787707/

While this trial is for uterine cancer, I thought the dosages they are trying for maintenance purposes might be of interest to you.

I'm sorry that you've had such a difficult time with your treatment. I hope that other members can share their experiences with PARP inhibitors.

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,368 Member
    To tag on to cmb, you can try

To tag on to cmb, you can try sending Chuck a private message.  When you log in and click on his name it will take you to his profile and there is a place there to "Contact User".  He may respond to you directly.  

• mychen
    cmb said:

PARP inhibitors

I'm sad to say that Chuck's wife passed away in May, 2019 from Acute Myeloid Leukemia that developed as a result of her treatment for breast and ovarian cancer. However he still posts occasionally on this and the uterine board, so I hope he sees your question.

I have uterine cancer and normally post on that board. Since PARP inhibitors are utilized mostly in ovarian cancer patients, I haven't seen a lot of comments from women on the uterine board about them. But one of our members did post an announcement about a clinical trial with Rucaparib as maintenance therapy for uterine cancer. You can read more about that trial and the dosages they are trying for maintenance at:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6787707/

While this trial is for uterine cancer, I thought the dosages they are trying for maintenance purposes might be of interest to you.

I'm sorry that you've had such a difficult time with your treatment. I hope that other members can share their experiences with PARP inhibitors.

Rubraca

Thank you so much for replying my post. I am so sad for Chuck's loss. My doctor also told me that 1 of 10 people who is taking PARP inhabitor will get leukemia. That's the resson he stopped me. I would like to send Chuck a private E-mail to find out the detail. Thank you for sending me the link for the Rubraca trial. I will check it out.

• mychen

To tag on to cmb, you can try

To tag on to cmb, you can try sending Chuck a private message.  When you log in and click on his name it will take you to his profile and there is a place there to "Contact User".  He may respond to you directly.  

Thank you so much! I will do

Thank you so much! I will do it. Hope Chuck will reply to me.