Sore spot in Vagina

Options
liberty67
liberty67 Member Posts: 19

Hi again, I have one more question, if anyone could be so kind as to give me some input.

About two months after my treatments ended, I went for a GYN exam and found I had vaginal stenosis due to radiation. There was also a small area on one side that hurt when they tried to examine me, so they didn't pursue the usual exam with a speculum.

Now it's been five months since my treatments, and I still have that sore area inside. I'm on dilator therapy because of the stenosis, and I have the pain every time I insert the dilator. Then as I pull it out, it's fine, and I don't have the pain. Maybe scar tissue? It's just a blip of an area, but pretty painful, and although it's not getting worse, it hasn't gone away either ... and five months of anything that doesn't clear up does make me worry!

I have a GYN appointment in a couple weeks. I talked to the GYN about it a month ago, and she said she can't tell unless she sees me, but if it's not getting worse then it's probably not a worry, and then she put me on estrogen.  Before the treatments my GYN exams were normal and the pain wasn't there. Has anyone had any experience with these symptoms for so long after radiation?

Thanks!!

Comments

• ACinNC
    ACinNC Member Posts: 46
    Options
    Sore spot

I can relate to the sore spot in vagina.  It is as yours is - only noticeable when I use a dilator.  I had vaginal involvement with my AC and the vagina and rectum are fused to the levator ani muscle on one side where the cancer attached itself.  And that is the side my pain is on so I assume it is scar tissue.  My  rad onc said this area showed up as scar tissue on a CT scan.  I'm a year and 3 months post treatment and it has not gone away although I am making a little progress with the dilator.  Did you have any vaginal involvement? Does your GYN know the details of your cancer or have access to reports to better understand where changes would be expected to occur from radiation? 

• liberty67
    liberty67 Member Posts: 19
    edited July 2018 #3
    Options
    ACinNC said:

Sore spot

I can relate to the sore spot in vagina.  It is as yours is - only noticeable when I use a dilator.  I had vaginal involvement with my AC and the vagina and rectum are fused to the levator ani muscle on one side where the cancer attached itself.  And that is the side my pain is on so I assume it is scar tissue.  My  rad onc said this area showed up as scar tissue on a CT scan.  I'm a year and 3 months post treatment and it has not gone away although I am making a little progress with the dilator.  Did you have any vaginal involvement? Does your GYN know the details of your cancer or have access to reports to better understand where changes would be expected to occur from radiation? 

Hi, thanks for your response.

Hi, thanks for your response.

My GYN does know about the cancer and they do have my reports, but you made a good point. I had an exam just before the treatments began, but as of yet, since finishing the treatments, they haven't been able to look inside very well because it was too painful. I was never told that I had vaginal involvement, but who knows! I've learned throughout this experience that we have to do so much of our own research and ask the right questions because the doctors seem to omit so much information. My pain is on the opposite side of where the anal tumor was, but for me, the exit side of the radiation beam has given me the most issues.

Thanks again for your input! I will bring up the possibility of scar tissue at my appointment. I'm hoping that this time I can handle an exam ... The whole dilating thing is not fun, is it? Laughing