Itching, plus head stink

liberty67
liberty67 Member Posts: 19

Hi everyone!

I'm so thankful for this board and all of your help and advice. It seems that there are not many forums out there for this cancer! I have a couple questions, I hope someone can help.

I finished my treatment for anal cancer this past February 9th, so as of today it's been a little over five months. One of my worries is this itching ... anal itching ... still. It's not horrible like it once was, or constant. But it does visit me several times a day. If I scratch, then it very easily flares up again and becomes very irritated, which gets me on a whirlwind of worry, thinking my cancer is still around or coming back. Between the itching episodes, I feel fine, no itch at all, and then suddenly it's another bad little itch episode. Has anyone else had the itching for this long after treatments ended? I've recently found that showering and washing the area each time I go does relieve the itching for most of the day, but it's not always convenient to shower every time I go to the bathroom.

I've wondered if it could be a fungal thing as well ... I've had a head stink ever since my treatments which smells yeasty, and I also sometimes notice it when I go to the bathroom. No one has been able to help me with this as of yet, and I feel like I'm crazy sometimes and wonder if I'm imagining the yeasty stink. It seems to be everywhere, on bedding and towels, and my doctors have not found a solution.

Thanks ahead to anyone who can give me some input on these things!

Comments

• Ouch_Ouch_Ouch
    Ouch_Ouch_Ouch Member Posts: 508 Member
    Go to the experts.

You can still contact your radiation oncologist and staff as long as you need to. Have the doc take a look. If it's a fungal infection, she can treat it. It may be nothing more than hair growing back and becoming ingrown. I know that it doesn't feel so dignified to have a rad onc look at your rear end, but it can't be helped.

• liberty67

Go to the experts.

You can still contact your radiation oncologist and staff as long as you need to. Have the doc take a look. If it's a fungal infection, she can treat it. It may be nothing more than hair growing back and becoming ingrown. I know that it doesn't feel so dignified to have a rad onc look at your rear end, but it can't be helped.

Thanks for your advice, this

Thanks for your advice, this has been an ongoing issue, and I've spoken to so many doctors about it. I think my next step might be a dermatologist, although I'm not sure if it's systemic. I did see someone yesterday who suggested I might have a yeast overgrowth and I have to take a breath test to detect bacteria. Could be the reason for some of the itching as well.

I'm so sorry to hear that you've got yet another mountain to climb with your cancer, and I pray this next phase goes quickly and that you remain strong throughout.

• Ohmy
    Ohmy Member Posts: 102 Member
    I am one year and four months

I am one year and four months post treatment.  I have a hemorrhoid that likes to flare up, bleed, and itch so I understand your worry.  In fact I am seeing the doctor today about it just to put my mind at ease.   I use Aquaphor every day and hydrocortisone for the itch.  I don't itch every day.  I hope you get some relief soon.

• liberty67
    edited July 2018 #5
    Thanks, it's encouraging to

Thanks, it's encouraging to know that my itching is probably normal. I have the same thing, it's like a flare up, and I can go for days and be fine and then suddenly another flare up with itch and irritation. Congratulations on your making the one year mark! (And four months) I can't wait to say the same, I am less than 6 months out, but time goes fast. About to get my 6 month check up already. Sort of nervous!!