Leg cramps & Chemo

jlampe
jlampe Member Posts: 3

Hello Everyone, 

I've had 12 weekly rounds of chemo since April (Carboplatin once every three weeks, and Paclitaxel every week).  I've lost my hair and recently gotten low blood counts, but the symptom that's plaguing me a bit is increased tightness in my calf and other leg muscles.   I have been able to take nice long walks in the morning before it gets hot, and I try to stretch before and after.  I feel like my legs are so tight each morning, that I think it's related to the chemo.  I'm trying to drink lots of water, and eat plenty of protein, but it's gotten progressively worse over the course of chemo.   

Anyone experienced this and have some ideas that I can try out?

Thsnks so much Laughing

Comments

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,360 Member
    jlampe, hope you don't mind,

jlampe, hope you don't mind, I am a visitor from the Uterine board.  (I had an agressive form of uterine cancer which is treated similarly to OC)  I thik ladies have spoken about leg pain, but I don't know if it has been described as you have with "tightness".  Best thing to do is call the office and talk to a nurse.  I had joint pain, and this sounds different that what you had, so it is always best to ask.  

My prayers are for all the warriors

• Bea_D
    Bea_D Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2018 #3
    Painfull Leg Cramps

I had a lot of painful leg cramps during and a while after chemo ended.  I thought I was keeping hydrated but I needed to force myself to drink more water, more often.  I ate bananas (of which I am not a huge fan) morning and at night before bed, which I think helped.  But the best thing was the heated throw (from Costco) I was given.  Chemo robbed me of body heat, I've never been so cold, the throw warmed me up but also made my ressless legs feel better.  I would turn it on for 10-15 minutes before getting up in the morning, it seemed to help with the cramps and the leg pains.   I would turn it on at night as well for a few hours as I was trying to get to sleep(has a auto shutoff) .  Try a heating pad maybe, I hope it helps you.

Bea

• jlampe
    jlampe Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2018 #4
    Bea_D said:

Painfull Leg Cramps

I had a lot of painful leg cramps during and a while after chemo ended.  I thought I was keeping hydrated but I needed to force myself to drink more water, more often.  I ate bananas (of which I am not a huge fan) morning and at night before bed, which I think helped.  But the best thing was the heated throw (from Costco) I was given.  Chemo robbed me of body heat, I've never been so cold, the throw warmed me up but also made my ressless legs feel better.  I would turn it on for 10-15 minutes before getting up in the morning, it seemed to help with the cramps and the leg pains.   I would turn it on at night as well for a few hours as I was trying to get to sleep(has a auto shutoff) .  Try a heating pad maybe, I hope it helps you.

Bea

Thank you, Bea & No time for Cancer! 

Thank you,  I will try this :-)  Also, I did ask the nurses at the cancer center, and they suggested more electrolytes, and a heating pad.   Hope you are doing great.

• txlady1987
    txlady1987 Member Posts: 5
    leg cramps & chemo

jlampe, I am a little late in responding, but I also suffered from leg cramps. Staying very well hydrated is very important to prevent leg cramps. During leg cramps I applied heat and also drank a shot of pickle juice. The pickle juice seems to do the trick almost immediately for me, however, pickle juice might not be a good solution for you if you are on a sodium restricted diet though, due to the high salt content. Hope you are doing better!

Tammy

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,360 Member
    jlampe, is it a tight feeling

jlampe, is it a tight feeling or swelling?  Maybe they can preform a dopler and just check you for blood clots.   Once my swelling was ruled out by a blood clot they determined it was lymphedema.  I do have to remind myself you are throwing some powerful drugs at your body, but you are right to get it checked out.  We all react differently to chemo, and this might just be how your body responds.