Hello, also new here, my husband was diagnosed last week.

His primary cancer was colon, went to liver. Both were respected, he did 6 months of chemo. Was NED, for one year, on his last pet, showed many tumors, and is inoperable. They told us 6 months, if he does nothing And is reccomending folfury and avastin to prolong life...  Is there anything else available?

Comments

• LiliTM
    LiliTM Member Posts: 32
    dear Kimrmoore, I'm so sorry

dear Kimrmoore, I'm so sorry for what your husband is going through, and you with him.

Can you ask them about testing his tumor tissue (for example, with Foundation One) to see if he has any targetable mutations? Ask them to check for immunotherapy indicators: PD-1/PD-L1, DNA mismatch repair, microsatellite instability, tumor mutation burden... if he has one of those, perhaps he will be a good candidate for immunotherapy. There are ways to get the drug through "compassionate use" or in a clinical trial. Search clinicaltrials.gov with his specifics to find one he might be eligible for. 

Can you get a 2nd opinion from one of the top cancer centers? 

warmest wishes to you 

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Get him to a specialty cancer center

He may be a candidate for HIPEC, which is used for Peritoneal Mets in colorectal cancers.

• Kimrmoore
    Kimrmoore Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2018 #4
    Hello, his tumor type is

Hello, his tumor type is mucinuos.  And he has a large tumor load, several over 4CM, they are on stomach, adrenal gland, sigmoid colon and kidney.  There are several others that are scattered throught the abdomen.  He is not currently a candidate for HIPEC.  He started Chemo Folfuri and is having abdominal pain since last week. He was given Fentanyl patches to help with pain, is also taking CBD oil.  He is still working and feels well other than the pain in abdomen

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Kimrmoore said:

Hello, his tumor type is

Hello, his tumor type is mucinuos.  And he has a large tumor load, several over 4CM, they are on stomach, adrenal gland, sigmoid colon and kidney.  There are several others that are scattered throught the abdomen.  He is not currently a candidate for HIPEC.  He started Chemo Folfuri and is having abdominal pain since last week. He was given Fentanyl patches to help with pain, is also taking CBD oil.  He is still working and feels well other than the pain in abdomen

Mine is mucinous as well

Originated in the appendix.  The chemo is one of the ones commonly used for this (Folfox is the other).  It may bring down his tumor load such that he is resectable.  I would still get him to a specialty cancer center if you can.