PET vs. MRI

Options
annie4145
annie4145 Member Posts: 218 Member

The doctor has ordered a PET scan instead of MRI.  I was just diagnosed with stage 2A.  But without an MRI, can they discover the extent that the tumor may have invaded the surrounding issue?  The first CT scan didn't show very clearly the tumor (about 3-4 mm), but showed a thickening of the wall....

Just wondering whether to definitely ask for MRI to be done as well...

So confused.  Thanks!

Comments

• OPfarmer
    OPfarmer Member Posts: 14
    edited July 2018 #2
    Options
    PET shows metabolic uptake

PET shows metabolic uptake well. For me PET is the gold standard for cancer monitoring.

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    annie4145

My cancer was confirmed by PET/CT.  I have never had an MRI to monitor my status for anal cancer.

• OPfarmer
    OPfarmer Member Posts: 14
    edited July 2018 #4
    Options
    Come to think of it I had

Come to think of it I had just 1 MRI, I think after a PET and before treatment.

Here has been the whole series of imagining for me, since diagnosis last September.

Fissure surgery discovered tumor, immediately had a CT.

Then a full length PET.

Then an MRI ?

Then CT to plan Radiation treatment.

Then mid treatment CT

Another CT while in ACU

Post treatment CT

3 month follow up CT

Follow up PET

And another CT for me in a  few weeks.

Lots of imagining exams, and also many pysical sigmoidoscopy exams between.

• Dodiefae
    Dodiefae Member Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    PET vs MRI

I have had pelvic MRIs before and after treatment, but have never had a PET scan.  I get the impression from my docs that it is more difficult  to get approval from the insurance companies for PET scans. 

• eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    annie4145...

This is some info I had in my "good to know file"...

Differences between PET, CT, and MRI scans. A CT or MRI scan can assess the size and shape of body organs and tissue, but they cannot assess how these work. A PET scan can show how an organ works, but without a CT or MRI image, it can be difficult to pinpoint the exact location of activity within the body.

Unlike CT scans, which use X-rays, MRI scans use powerful magnetic fields and radio frequency pulses to produce detailed pictures of organs, soft tissues, bone and other internal body structures. ... And while there is no radiation involved in an MRI scan, it can be a noisy exam and takes longer than a CT.

This is interesting as far as insurance coverage goes but since that area is always changing may not apply to some:

https://yourgpsdoc.com/2017/09/17/will-your-ct-or-mri-scan-be-denied/

katheryn

• Msmoxie
    Msmoxie Member Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    my experience with MRI vs. PET/CT

Hello Annie,  There is so much to learn once diagnosed and nothing replaces the notes of people that went through it to give you the low down.

My personal experience once I was diagnosed with SCC anus/rectum last year.  By the time I had my MRI ( I had never had one before) I requested it without contrast (I have too many bad reactions to commonly used meds and though the doctors did not like that they could see everything they needed to).  My experience was it IS very loud ... they gave me headphones with music but the noise overpowered the music.  The worst part of the MRI... it is a VERY strong magnet and I was a mess for two days after the MRI.  I felt like someone kicked me in the stomach repeatedly all day and my bleeding was worse for that entire two days.  I won't go for another MRI.  Then I had PET/CT "eyes to thighs" that really showed the breast cancer and SCC anus/rectum and even diagnosed a hiatal hernia.  I had NO discomfort with the PET/CT and they did do an IV contrast and a drink of contrast... had NO side effects or complications from that.

I have all of the CD's and I load them on my computer and compare to the report so I can see exactly what the doctors are concerned about.

I ended up having another PET/CT in June and it showed how aggressive my particular cancer is.  

My opinion is that it is a gold standard and leaves you feeling the same as when you walked in.  

Sending you positive energy for your tests.

Moxie

• annie4145
    annie4145 Member Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Msmoxie said:

my experience with MRI vs. PET/CT

Hello Annie,  There is so much to learn once diagnosed and nothing replaces the notes of people that went through it to give you the low down.

My personal experience once I was diagnosed with SCC anus/rectum last year.  By the time I had my MRI ( I had never had one before) I requested it without contrast (I have too many bad reactions to commonly used meds and though the doctors did not like that they could see everything they needed to).  My experience was it IS very loud ... they gave me headphones with music but the noise overpowered the music.  The worst part of the MRI... it is a VERY strong magnet and I was a mess for two days after the MRI.  I felt like someone kicked me in the stomach repeatedly all day and my bleeding was worse for that entire two days.  I won't go for another MRI.  Then I had PET/CT "eyes to thighs" that really showed the breast cancer and SCC anus/rectum and even diagnosed a hiatal hernia.  I had NO discomfort with the PET/CT and they did do an IV contrast and a drink of contrast... had NO side effects or complications from that.

I have all of the CD's and I load them on my computer and compare to the report so I can see exactly what the doctors are concerned about.

I ended up having another PET/CT in June and it showed how aggressive my particular cancer is.  

My opinion is that it is a gold standard and leaves you feeling the same as when you walked in.  

Sending you positive energy for your tests.

Moxie

Thank you everyone for your

Thank you everyone for your replies!