Leakage...

Hi,

My husband is experiencing “anal leakage” in the form of mucous and coffee ground-like stool. I tried getting Depends and he refuses to wear them, saying it’s uncomfortable.

Do any of you recommend a particular product that will catch anal leakage (and not just a product for bladder incontinence?)

Comments

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Leakage

It's difficult to have someone try to wear Depends.  No one wants to have that be a new thing in their life, but it really is the only thing that helps.  I've searched on line for something that would catch fecal incontinence which I've got because of my rectal cancer but no one really carrys any product.  All Depend products are for urinary and mine is fecal and runny and nothing seems to hold it in.  I'm not sure what the answer is.  If he doesn't want to wear that, I'm not sure what else to tell you.  I'll wear a Depends at night though because I'll have accidents but at least that minimizes the clean up.

Kim

• Daniellabella
    Daniellabella Member Posts: 19

Leakage

It's difficult to have someone try to wear Depends.  No one wants to have that be a new thing in their life, but it really is the only thing that helps.  I've searched on line for something that would catch fecal incontinence which I've got because of my rectal cancer but no one really carrys any product.  All Depend products are for urinary and mine is fecal and runny and nothing seems to hold it in.  I'm not sure what the answer is.  If he doesn't want to wear that, I'm not sure what else to tell you.  I'll wear a Depends at night though because I'll have accidents but at least that minimizes the clean up.

Kim

Thanks, Kim. 

Thanks, Kim. 

I just feel like there has to be a solution.

Every morning I am “Spray and Washing” his briefs, sometimes twice.

There has to be a more practical solution!

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Depends are my friends

That was my adage during the worst part.  

When things got a little better, I tried 'Butterfly Body Liners' - they have them for men & women - Interesting little things that you stick in the anus area. I couldn't get on with them at all.

Here is a link to show you what they are https://smile.amazon.com/Butterfly®-Pads-Liners-Bowel-Leaks/dp/B00KPZEOSE/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1531572019&sr=8-3&keywords=butterfly+pads+for+men

At the end of the day, Depends were my friends. 

I hope you can convince him to wear them, and tell him they are only temporary. Good luck!

Tru

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    I use Poise pads. I hardly

I use Poise pads. I hardly notice they're there. My surgeon said it's because the colon dosn't realize it doesn't need to still provide mucous for helping with bowel function. I even get some blood from there and he said that's not unusual, either, because I'm on blood thinners.

Maybe get him something and refuse to clean it up for him. If he has to do it himself he might decide that a product is better.

Jan

• Daniellabella
    Trubrit said:

Depends are my friends

That was my adage during the worst part.  

When things got a little better, I tried 'Butterfly Body Liners' - they have them for men & women - Interesting little things that you stick in the anus area. I couldn't get on with them at all.

Here is a link to show you what they are https://smile.amazon.com/Butterfly®-Pads-Liners-Bowel-Leaks/dp/B00KPZEOSE/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1531572019&sr=8-3&keywords=butterfly+pads+for+men

At the end of the day, Depends were my friends. 

I hope you can convince him to wear them, and tell him they are only temporary. Good luck!

Tru

This is a good suggestion. I

This is a good suggestion. I don’t know if he’d go for it but we can try.

Thank you!!!

• Daniellabella
    JanJan63 said:

I use Poise pads. I hardly

I use Poise pads. I hardly notice they're there. My surgeon said it's because the colon dosn't realize it doesn't need to still provide mucous for helping with bowel function. I even get some blood from there and he said that's not unusual, either, because I'm on blood thinners.

Maybe get him something and refuse to clean it up for him. If he has to do it himself he might decide that a product is better.

Jan

You‘ve got a great point

You‘ve got a great point about the clean-up, Jan. Thank you! I’ll try it!