Radiation Damage to tongue surfacing 2.5 years later

Options

Hello,

I posted a few weeks ago when I had a biopsy on my tongue.  It was negative, but I met with my Dr. yesterday and actually read the results.  First, I am extremely thankful the result was that it was a benign ulceration.  I essentially have a large fissure on my tongue.  I recall it being there since my treatment, but now it appears to be growing.  They concluded it was consistent with radiation change.

Has anyone had similar reactions to radiation treatment?  Again, I am 2.5 years out of treatment.  They are monitoring it and think I may need a surgery to clean it all out and stitch up my tongue.  Any similar experiences?

Thanks, Tony

Comments

• tommyodavey
    tommyodavey Member Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Tongue Damage

I'm not sure if what I had is similar to what you're talking about.  4 years after my radiation treatment ended a growth started right in the center of my tongue.  Had my Oral Surgeon look at it and he cut it out.  It was benign.  Can't say exactly what it was.  Just a large lump that scared the heck out of me when I first saw it.  He didn't say it was a reaction from the rads but then I didn't ask either.  Next time I see him I'll have to ask again about it.

Glad to hear it was nothing serious.  Continue to recover healthfully!