New Here

2»

Comments

• MudMan
    MudMan Member Posts: 23
    edited July 2018 #22
    Cyro - Good Thoughts

Good thoughts for your Cyro treatment.  Please do update your progress.

• BigGuidoKC
    BigGuidoKC Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2018 #23
    Cryo or not to Cryo

I am a 55-year-old male in good to okay health. I was diagnosed with RCC in May from a CT Scan following a freak car accident in my driveway that resulted in me being pinned between my SUV and the garage door frame. Crazy thing, but it probably saved my life. No broken bones or internal bleeding from the accident, just a bruised right side of my abdominal wall. The tumor was in the lower lobe of my right kidney and appeared to be about 2.5 cm. Met with my surgeon about a week after the accident and reviewed the CT scan with him. That was when cancer went from an abstraction to a reality for me. We scheduled surgery for June 21st as they wanted my bruised abdominal wall to heal entirely before cutting me open. Ended up going with a radical nephrectomy of the right kidney. He was able to preserve the adrenal gland, and all surrounding tissue and lymph nodes appeared disease free. Got the pathology report back and the tumor was a clear cell renal carcinoma, stage 1, grade 2 with clear margins. All surrounding kidney tissue was cancer free. As my pathologist said, it was gold.

My reaction to the diagnosis of renal cancer was "Get it the Hell out of me NOW!" It was a bit crazy waiting six weeks for the surgery, but in the end, it all worked out for the best. I looked into other options to a radical nephrectomy during that time and actually vacillated a bit between a partial and possible Cryo. The most significant factor in the decision was the perceived health of the left kidney and my overall health in general. If I was 65 instead of 55 or if the left kidney was sketchy, I might have gone with the partial or the cryo. As it is, I am glad I went for the nuclear option, and I know the SOB is GONE. Of course, with cancer, especially RCC, there are no 100% guarantees.

Recovery has been a mixed bag. I returned to work three weeks after the operation and on reflection, should have opted for the full six. I am having good days and bad. Creatine level post surgery is 1.3, and overall, Ol' Lefty has stepped up to the plate and is shouldering the work of his departed twin.

Well, there's my 2 cents on the subject. in the end, you have to put your trust in your gut and your doctor's advice. If you are still feeling iffy about it after that, get a second opinion.

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member

Cryo or not to Cryo

I am a 55-year-old male in good to okay health. I was diagnosed with RCC in May from a CT Scan following a freak car accident in my driveway that resulted in me being pinned between my SUV and the garage door frame. Crazy thing, but it probably saved my life. No broken bones or internal bleeding from the accident, just a bruised right side of my abdominal wall. The tumor was in the lower lobe of my right kidney and appeared to be about 2.5 cm. Met with my surgeon about a week after the accident and reviewed the CT scan with him. That was when cancer went from an abstraction to a reality for me. We scheduled surgery for June 21st as they wanted my bruised abdominal wall to heal entirely before cutting me open. Ended up going with a radical nephrectomy of the right kidney. He was able to preserve the adrenal gland, and all surrounding tissue and lymph nodes appeared disease free. Got the pathology report back and the tumor was a clear cell renal carcinoma, stage 1, grade 2 with clear margins. All surrounding kidney tissue was cancer free. As my pathologist said, it was gold.

My reaction to the diagnosis of renal cancer was "Get it the Hell out of me NOW!" It was a bit crazy waiting six weeks for the surgery, but in the end, it all worked out for the best. I looked into other options to a radical nephrectomy during that time and actually vacillated a bit between a partial and possible Cryo. The most significant factor in the decision was the perceived health of the left kidney and my overall health in general. If I was 65 instead of 55 or if the left kidney was sketchy, I might have gone with the partial or the cryo. As it is, I am glad I went for the nuclear option, and I know the SOB is GONE. Of course, with cancer, especially RCC, there are no 100% guarantees.

Recovery has been a mixed bag. I returned to work three weeks after the operation and on reflection, should have opted for the full six. I am having good days and bad. Creatine level post surgery is 1.3, and overall, Ol' Lefty has stepped up to the plate and is shouldering the work of his departed twin.

Well, there's my 2 cents on the subject. in the end, you have to put your trust in your gut and your doctor's advice. If you are still feeling iffy about it after that, get a second opinion.

Welcome BigGuidiKC

Big,

That was me 16 years ago at a tender 59. The only choice then was to yank the whole thing out.

icemantoo

• Manufred
    Manufred Member Posts: 241 Member
    Similar Story

Big Guido,

Almost the same as my experience - radical neph in August 2012, ccRCC, and clear around the offending kidney.  I was 61 when that happened, and in good health.  I also had no hestitation going nuclear, with full open cut.  Got a nice scar to show for it.

Yes, it can come back.  mRCC diagnosed April 2015.  Luckily got onto a combination immunotherapy trial.  Now apparently in complete remission, but still getting three-monthly scans.

Still alive and enjoying life.  So good that a cancer diagnosis these days is no longer the death sentence it used to be.

Best Wishes,

Fred

• Chipmaker
    Chipmaker Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2018 #26
    Well I froze that sucker!

Well I froze that sucker!

Good morning all, after weighing all my options I selected CRYO and had it on Aug, 9 so I am a week and a day out. The procedure went perfect according to the Dr.  but because of the late procedure and my distance from the hospital we agreed it would be best for me to stay overnight. I got out at noon on Friday and rode for 2 1/2 hrs home with minimal discomfort. The only issues I am having is a mild numbness on my right hip and a "pins and needles" feeling going from there down toward my groin. On a scale of 1-10 it is probably 2 1/2-3 in pain level. I have taken 4 pain pills total 2 in hospital and 2 after I got home. A biopsy was performed but I don't have the results yet. I have a CT scheduled in Nov. to check sucess or not. We all have difficult decisions to make on this journey and as with my PCa I chose to go with the most technological advanced options and just hope and pray I made the right decision and at this time I am confident that I did. I wish all well and keep up the fight.

Perry

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    So glad it's over and went so

So glad it's over and went so well. Speedy recovery and all the best!