Power port discomfort and skin reaction

Options
Lana67
Lana67 Member Posts: 2

Hello everyone. 

I am new to this forum. 

I have a question about the power port and some discomfort around it. It was placed in me about a month ago and had 4 chemos done through it alreday. The skin around it became very itchy, itrritated and red. I asked my chemo nurse and all she said to wash it and put some odorless lotion on it. I am taking shower daily and it's clean and I did put some lotion and even some cortizone but the itchiness is not going away and it's very annoying. I have very sensitive skin, I must add. I will be a long journey for me and I don't want to have this discomfort for the next severl month.

Has anyone experienced similar problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Lana

Comments

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I was allergic to the tegaderms

The tegaderm used to hold the chemo needle in place caused a rash for me; one that took up to a week to resolve.  Even cortisone didn't help.  Is the rash the shape of the adhesive they use to keep the needle in place?  That would be a telltale sign that it's the adhesive.

• Hummingbird6
    Hummingbird6 Member Posts: 12
    edited July 2018 #3
    Options
    Port irritation

I also had redness and pain at port site.  I made it through chemo and had it removed then, because I have poor venous access and starting the IV each time for chemo would have been misery.  Keep a close eye on your port, they can become infected.

• WarriorS1
    WarriorS1 Member Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Irritation at Port Site

Have you asked your doctor about using a steroid cream to help with the irritation?  Maybe try an over the counter hydrocordosone cream?  I have really bad allergies and have used both through the course of my treatment.