3 month post-treatment NED!

Options
smc0057
smc0057 Member Posts: 17

Hi everyone!  I'm three months post-treatment for my Stage II anal cancer.  I had a PET earlier this week and yesterday received the NED results!  I can't quite believe it, but I'm pretty darn happy to say the least.  The internal exams were excruciating though.  Ugh.  Strictures and scar tissue to both the vagina and anal canal.  But still so thankful for the negative PET.  Thanks for all the info you all share here.  I'm not chatty, but I read a lot and it's been a huge help through this difficult time.  I'm back to riding my bikes full time and even did my first mountain bike race where I came in first in my old lady age division.  LOL  

Question:  How long did you keep your implanted port?  My oncologist suggested a year (YEAR???) "just in case," but then said it was up to me and the surgeon.  A year seems a long time.  I'm supposed to go back every 3 months for a digital exam and anoscopy, then the next scan in 6 months.....    I'd like to lose this thing.

Comments

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited June 2018 #2
    Options
    smc0057

Congrats on the NED results!  I am so happy for you!  It sounds like you have resumed activities that you enjoy, which is awesome.  Doctors seem to be all over the place when it comes to how long to leave a port in.  My med onc told me I could have mine taken out 3 months post-treatment, which I did.  And yes, I was glad to see it go!  Perhaps you and your doctor can meet half-way on when to have it removed.  I wish you NED always!

• HoneyD54
    HoneyD54 Member Posts: 10
    edited July 2018 #3
    Options
    congrats on NED! I agree with

congrats on NED! I agree with mp327.  I'm 8 months NED from stage III and didn't have a port since it was optional and my oncolog didn't  think I needed it.  He was right, I have been fine without it.  Every 3 months I get a blood draw and either an MRI or a CT scan with contrast from my oncologist.  I also get an anoscope every 3 months from a surgeon but no blood draws that day and I stagger it so it's not the same month as the scans.  I did not have surgery, the surgeon is just watching it directly To make sure it looks healthy.