7 weeks post radiation still mucus

Darkdancer333
Darkdancer333 Member Posts: 115 Member

I thought and doctors said the norm is 3-4 weeks. I am on my seventh week post rad and the mucus is still there.

I want to start eating but the mucus makes it difficult. I have been getting some taste back and I want to get off this feeding tube and eat. 

Damn food commercials on TV are killing me. Its difficult to sleep because of the congestion. I have not heard of it hanging around this long.

Comments

• frokker68
    frokker68 Member Posts: 49 Member
    I know your pain.  I had

I know your pain.  I had stage 4 SCC on the base of tongue. And 1 lymph node on each side. I had 35 rads and 7 weekly doses of cisplatin  I took FOREVER to heal.  It was about 4 months after treatment before I could even attempt to eat solids.  I had bad mucus and pain for those 4 months.   Doc said I was an extreme rare case as far as taking so long to heal. This Friday is 1 year post treatment  although I do not have pain anymore as far as eating and swallowing.  Now I deal with side effects. Hang in there, it does get better. 

Keith

• Nnk
    Nnk Member Posts: 7
    14 weeks and still mucus, but getting better

I found that doubling my saltwater rinse after treatment really helped my mucus.    I had surgery, 33 rads and made it through 2 cisplatin doses.   While I at times still have the mucus the rinses help tremendously.   Stay strong and it will get better.

• Suez39
    Suez39 Member Posts: 162 Member
    6 weeks and still mucuos

Dark dancer I'm 6 weeks post treatment and in the same situation as you. Only I have Severe pain in my throat and can't eat or swallow either. My speech therapist told me we have to force ourselves to swallow and eat soft foods And do throat excersizes. If we don't we w.I'll have the feeding tube for life!!! Because over time our throat develops permanent scar tissue and our epigoltis will close in our throat. She really scared me. She does'not know how much pain and how hard it is to manage.

• OKCnative
    OKCnative Member Posts: 326 Member
    When my mucous was really bad

When my mucous was really bad, the radiation techs gave me these two different plastic bottles with some powder in them. I'd add water and shake - then refrigerate. I'd use this as a two-part method to gargle. Literally my mucous would completely go away for about 30-45 minutes. This allowed me to take in calories (solids and/or liquids) without the interference of the mucous or the aftertaste. I can't remember the name. I'll look when I get home and see if I still have a bottle I can take a photo of.

• Darkdancer333
    Darkdancer333 Member Posts: 115 Member
    edited July 2018 #6
    OKCnative said:

When my mucous was really bad

When my mucous was really bad, the radiation techs gave me these two different plastic bottles with some powder in them. I'd add water and shake - then refrigerate. I'd use this as a two-part method to gargle. Literally my mucous would completely go away for about 30-45 minutes. This allowed me to take in calories (solids and/or liquids) without the interference of the mucous or the aftertaste. I can't remember the name. I'll look when I get home and see if I still have a bottle I can take a photo of.

OKC i would like to know what

OKC i would like to know what it was. I am slowly weening off the tube. 8 weeks post. Yesterday had a soft taco and burrito from taco bell. The flour tortilla is diffuclt to eat yet. Last night had 2 slices of pizza 

. I had to scrape off the crust but it was ok. My tast is about 80% back. Two weeks is PET scan and scope.. I feel all is going well 

• riles89
    riles89 Member Posts: 16
    Can last for many months, but everyone is different

Hi Darkdancer333,

My fiance wrapped up radiation and chemo in November 2017. I would say his mucus production slowed down after 3 months. Everyone is different, but it will get better. He was on a PEG tube from August 2017-April 2018 as well. Amazing that you ate a soft taco and more the other day!

All the best,

Megan