Into the void I go.. KU Med

Options
kwdunn
kwdunn Member Posts: 5
edited June 2018 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

Into the void I go.. 61 year old male heavy smoker,, and drinker at times... stopped drinking almost 3 years ago. Ear and throat pain Jan 18.. no primary doc. Went to clinic got antibiotics.. went back 3 weeks later got another round... went to dentist pulled 2 teeth... still had pain then it stopped. Went back to dentist for cleaning and xrays. Mid april looked in mirror saw tongue was large on right side back.. started pooking around down my throat and started bleeding... got scared,, denial. Then panic. Went to clinic again made them look where I said... They got me to a new primary care  June 14 he said he didn't see anything made him look where I said. Oh I see... Referred to KU Med June 27 appointment soft tissue ct scan with and without contrast then ENT surgeon and anesthesiologist all on same day. You may think I am panicking but I am pretty sure I am in deep dodo, Gonna need some help,, don't want to get pushed down a wrong road..

Comments

• kwdunn
    edited June 2018 #2
    Options
    Bit more...

Bit more... The reason they could not see it is it is on the side of my tongue rubbing against my retromolar pad with a knot under my tongue at the back size of a large pea if I push my finger past that it bleeds 

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Sorry your in this situation.

Can you give more info like are they working on a treatment plan and what does it involve?

Do you have someone to go to the doctor's with you it is an awful lot of info they give ya another set of ears is a great help.

Are they planning a PET scan?

You should probably have a nurse navigator they are a great help.

Maybe these questions will help you to answer yours and ours.

Best of luck and Prayers your way.

• kwdunn
    edited June 2018 #4
    Options
    wbcgaruss said:

Sorry your in this situation.

Can you give more info like are they working on a treatment plan and what does it involve?

Do you have someone to go to the doctor's with you it is an awful lot of info they give ya another set of ears is a great help.

Are they planning a PET scan?

You should probably have a nurse navigator they are a great help.

Maybe these questions will help you to answer yours and ours.

Best of luck and Prayers your way.

I am a sad case

I am a sad case,,, really no friends but one, not much family none to help. But yes my friend will go with me. I think they are planning a surgical biopsy with general anesthesia sometime soon, I can't seem to find any good info on that,,, length of time like all day or two hours? 

Any one on here in the area that has been treated at KU Med in KC?

And I have a health advocate program through my Ins that will be contacting me.

Thank you so much for your reply

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Good Luck

That was my next question and one I forgot the first time was they usually take a biopsy

to be sure it is cancer and if so what kind.

Get all the support you can take someone along always if possible.

Make sure you have pen and paper for plenty of notes if needed.

There may be some on here that were treated there if so they will probably be able to give you some guidance.

At this point you do not know for sure it is cancer-go step by step and ask questions and write a lot of questions you may have

to take along with you.

Take-care

• OKCnative
    OKCnative Member Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Personally, (as someone 7

Personally, (as someone 7-months post treatment for base of tongue cancer and back to 100% normalcy) I wouldn't panic until you've been properly diagnosed. Even then, many of these types of cancers are very treatable.

I personally did not have any of your stated symptoms. I (like many others in this forum) simply noticed an enlarge lymph node on my neck and proceeded from there.

A biopsy should confirm one way or the other.

The biopsy is no big deal. They'll put you under, take a piece or two of tissue and test it. My tongue was a little sore afterwards but nothing that kept me from eating or anything like that. Took 10-days to heal.