High calorie, low sugar food suggestions

2»

Comments

• ShadyGuy
    ShadyGuy Member Posts: 896 Member
    unknown said:

You are absolutely hilarious!

You are absolutely hilarious!  Gad . . . are you serious?  Rabbit and squirrel stew????    You can't be serious.  Yuck!

Serious

I also had the identical dish in Spain.

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,803 Member
    unknown said:

You are absolutely hilarious!

You are absolutely hilarious!  Gad . . . are you serious?  Rabbit and squirrel stew????    You can't be serious.  Yuck!

Chackan

My cousins and I hunted from around the age of 12, mostly .22 rifles and shotguns. We would shoot squirrels, dress them, and grill over campfires. But, we never stewed them.

When visiting my grandfather's farm in Kansas I was driving pickups and even small dump trucks from the same age.  There was no law, no police out in the rural counties, and if there had been, they would have just waved. We shot jackrabbits out there, which required larger rifles. The game wardens at the time would pay us for the pelts, since the rabbits were so overpopulated they trampled the wheat crops (I never heard of anyone eating a jack rabbit, which is extremely sinuous).

It was a differnt time, and a vastly better one also.

Tastes like chackan.

max

• ShadyGuy
    And of course ....

fish from local lakes and streams.

• ShadyGuy
    Hi Max

yes it was a very different time. When I was young, even though we lived on the outskirts of town, we ate domestic rabbits and hunted wild cottontails, squirrels, deer, turkey, dove, grouse and quail. Rabbit has waned from favor here in the USA but is still a major meat in Europe, especially Spain, Holland and Belgium. Domestic rabbits are to my experience a much better meat than the wild ones. Here in the mountains there are still people who live the foraging lifestyle. My nearest neighbor is a retired electrical engineer. He and his wife have been living off the grid in a smallish, but very nice, log cabin since 1990. No power, no phone, but they do have a car and a truck. They go completely organic (silly in my view) have goats, rabbits and chickens. Their main meat is venison. They raise vegetables and berries. All they buy at the store is staples like flour, salt, sugar, occasional grass fed beef etc. They seem healthy and happy. It can still be done if one is motivated. I am not. I like nice things and a varied diet. I do forage ramps, genseng, berries and mushrooms.

Very sick the last few days. I am going to a different doctor on Tuesday. Have a happy holiday.

ShadyGuy said:

Hi Max

yes it was a very different time. When I was young, even though we lived on the outskirts of town, we ate domestic rabbits and hunted wild cottontails, squirrels, deer, turkey, dove, grouse and quail. Rabbit has waned from favor here in the USA but is still a major meat in Europe, especially Spain, Holland and Belgium. Domestic rabbits are to my experience a much better meat than the wild ones. Here in the mountains there are still people who live the foraging lifestyle. My nearest neighbor is a retired electrical engineer. He and his wife have been living off the grid in a smallish, but very nice, log cabin since 1990. No power, no phone, but they do have a car and a truck. They go completely organic (silly in my view) have goats, rabbits and chickens. Their main meat is venison. They raise vegetables and berries. All they buy at the store is staples like flour, salt, sugar, occasional grass fed beef etc. They seem healthy and happy. It can still be done if one is motivated. I am not. I like nice things and a varied diet. I do forage ramps, genseng, berries and mushrooms.

Very sick the last few days. I am going to a different doctor on Tuesday. Have a happy holiday.

Balance

Shady,

While I demanded that my kids become proficient with guns, auto maintenance, and security awareness, none of us were ever "survivalists" in the strict sense.  My mom, for instance, always said that she was willing to camp,if it were in a Marriott. 

In WWII, the European armies marveled at how well US forces could move around.  This has been attributed to the fact that all American guys back then knew how to fix cars; there was no need to call a mechanic when a Jeep or truck broke down.   

Everyone should remember the truism:  "When you need police immediately, they are only minutes away."  I have worked indirectly with the police for two decades now, and I have seen 911 calls that involved violence and at times even gunfire not get an officer on the scene for 45 minutes.  I have personally waited for fire trucks at large industrial sites for 25 minutes.  I know for a fact that response times in my area are "doctored" to show much faster responses than actual.  I have placed calls to EMS, and then monitored response on county radio. Often, my calls were not even dispatched until 5 or 10 minutes later...

People have forfieted any ability to survive if a diaster strikes.  Too bad for them.  The average grocery store has a 3-day inventory, at NORMAL sales rates.  When we have a snow threat, the stores are cleaned out in one day.  What would happen if there were no electricity for weeks or months, and no trucks bringing in stuff ?  You and I know.

Get well soon,

max

• ShadyGuy
    Rocquie said:

Shady Guy

I hope you are feeling better by now. I also never had a problem with constipation before chemo and thankfully haven't since. During my treatments, I discovered that a pediatric dose of old fashioned milk of magnesia did the trick for me without working TOO well (if you know what I mean).

I got tickled in your post above when your grand child ask why your head was wet! They do keep us going don't they?

When Tupelo Honey was a single restaurant in downtown Asheville, it was wonderful. We ate brunch there almost every Saturday after our granddaughter's ballet classes. Then they started opening new locations. A few years ago, they completely redesigned their menu to market more to millennials. We haven't been there in about two years now.

My favorite Southern delicacy is our beloved Pimiento Cheese. I made a big batch this afternoon. 

Hugs,

Rocquie

Pimento cheese ....

Rocquie I thought of you when I had an unusual ( for me at least) sandwich at the Old Mill Restaurant in Damascus. It was a lightly grilled sandwich of thick multigrained bread with pimento cheese, crispy bacon, fried green tomato,ripe tomato and lettuce. I think it may have had a small dollop of Thousand Islands too but not sure of that. It was very good. They call it a ” fried green blt”. Very southern. Served with unsweet iced tea and sweet potato chips.

• yesyes2
    yesyes2 Member Posts: 591
    edited July 2018 #28
    ShadyGuy said:

Pimento cheese ....

Rocquie I thought of you when I had an unusual ( for me at least) sandwich at the Old Mill Restaurant in Damascus. It was a lightly grilled sandwich of thick multigrained bread with pimento cheese, crispy bacon, fried green tomato,ripe tomato and lettuce. I think it may have had a small dollop of Thousand Islands too but not sure of that. It was very good. They call it a ” fried green blt”. Very southern. Served with unsweet iced tea and sweet potato chips.

Oh My Oh My

ShadyGuy, that sandwiich sounds wonderful.  Sad I can't eat dairy and am gluten free.  Maybe suffer the side effects but would love to take a taste.  Thanks for sharing.

• yesyes2
    yesyes2 Member Posts: 591
    Question???

Please explain what or why someone would become an unverified or anonymous user?  And what does it really mean.

yesyes2 said:

Question???

Please explain what or why someone would become an unverified or anonymous user?  And what does it really mean.

Good Question

yesyes2,

I have seen this "Unverified" designation in the past.  No Staff person has ever explained what it means or how it is applied (that I am aware of).  The current 'Anonomous' is clearly our friend who held the screen name of 'Afraid.'

The folks I saw with that title in the past were in-effect in a situation of "Warning" (according to what they told me via e-mails).  It seems like a sort of troll-filter.

I would  think people are either welcomed or not; Limbo should not be an option.  Limbo is for theologians, and dancers in Haiti and the Pacific islands.  I have never flagged any writer at CSN, and don't understand people who do. People who write things I find disagreeable, I cease to read.  

As I said, I heard this only from the people thusly-designated themselves. Like Garth Brooks, I tend to 'got friends in low places.'  Whether the techincal staff will confirm or deny, who knows.  Whatever is most convenient for them, and whatever best fits their Talking Points. I say: Except in the most extreme, outrageous cases, everyone should be welcomed,

max

• ShadyGuy
    Hmmmmm.....,

Yes that post was originally credited to the person you mentioned and then it changed to “anonymous”. I thought it was a rather odd post but was not offended. I did not flag it! I enjoy and benefit from this board. I will admit that in a very stressful time in my life to getting getting little short with PO. I regret that. But no I do not report people. Ultimately we are all just anonymous characters on here.

• Rocquie
    Rocquie Member Posts: 868 Member
    ShadyGuy said:

Pimento cheese ....

Shady

Sounds delicious!