lump in neck

Options

Hi im a year and a half post treatmant for HPV ,PRIMARY TUMOR WAS IN TONSIL.Has any one had a lump come back in neck that wasnt cancer

Comments

• Dennis from Kansas
    Dennis from Kansas Member Posts: 46
    Options
    lump in neck

sorry for asking a dumb question

• Dean54
    Dean54 Member Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    not a dumb question

Actually on the side or my neck where my first lump was (lymph node), it still is somewhat swollen and sticks out a little but was told it's just scar tissue. Hope they are right.

• Dennis from Kansas
    Options
    thanks DEAN

Thanks Dean,I really appreciate your answer gives me some hope.I have been on this site for over two years but I dont comment much because ive really had a hard time healing and I dont want to say negetive things.I have lived on boost high calorie untill just recently and now I find this lump.Called oncologist and set me up for a biopsie with out me coming in,guess it will take the guess work out and I will know whats going on with me.I pray that they our right for you and its just scar tissue.Praying mine is also scar tissue.Thanks agin for your reply

• tommyodavey
    tommyodavey Member Posts: 727 Member
    edited June 2018 #5
    Options
    Swollen

Please let us know what the dx is once they test it.  I don't recall a similar question like yours since I've been here.  Hopefully it's just a swollen lyhmph node from the radiation treatment and will go down on its own.  Stay positive if you can.

• Dean54
    Options
    Your welcome Dennis

And like I said, I was worried also as when I would turn my head to the right, the lump would stick out almost like it did before I was treated and had me somewhat concerned until my MRI showed everything good for now.

I understand your concern tho, I know every little thing "spooks" me now as I've always been somewhat paranoid about things. Yes, please let us know what you find out.

• Dennis from Kansas
    Options
    Lump Biopsy Tomorrow

I go in tomorrow for biopsy,and find out the results on tuesday,will let you all know,Thanks

• Dennis from Kansas
    Options
    Thanks everyone

I went in today for biopsy,they did a altrasound and said they didnt think it was a lymph node so would not do a biopsy,just took pictures and tried to get ahold of my oncologist but they our closed on friday.Said i needed a pet scan ,but that would be up to my doctor.I will see him on tuesday and go from there.thanks for your responce.All my friends think im a strong person,but in realality im a punk when it comes to cancer

• kgasmart
    kgasmart Member Posts: 61 Member
    edited June 2018 #9
    Options
    Could be lympedema

I found a hard lump in my neck about 6 weeks after BOT surgery - actually the first day of radiation treatments. Doc at first said it was a swollen submandibular/salivary gland. But then it grew bigger, and moved arond just a bit. Turns out, it was fibrotic edema - lymphedema that had begun to harden. I've been going for massage/physical therapy now for about six weeks and the permanent lump is gone (though if I don't wear my compression garment overnight, I wake up with a new one in the morning)

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options

dk

This seems like a simple innocuous question. What is it?  And what should be done about it?  Many members hold back for various reasons, but yours is as good as any of the reasons I have read on here.  I am sorry that they refused a biopsy and/or a PET scan.  Those PET scans are getting to be insurance driven.

Kgasmart , Let’s see if I understand what you have said,  you stated:  Doc at first said it was a swollen submandibular/salivary gland. But then it grew bigger, and moved around just a bit. Turns out, it was fibrotic edema - lymphedema that had begun to harden. I've been going for massage/physical therapy now for about six weeks and the permanent lump is gone (though if I don't wear my compression garment overnight, I wake up with a new one in the morning) “. Are you saying that you wake up with a NEW compression garment, a NEW edema lump, what are you saying?

CivilMatt

Sweet Home, OR

Population – 9,418

• kgasmart
    kgasmart Member Posts: 61 Member
    edited June 2018 #11
    Options
    CivilMatt said:

dk

This seems like a simple innocuous question. What is it?  And what should be done about it?  Many members hold back for various reasons, but yours is as good as any of the reasons I have read on here.  I am sorry that they refused a biopsy and/or a PET scan.  Those PET scans are getting to be insurance driven.

Kgasmart , Let’s see if I understand what you have said,  you stated:  Doc at first said it was a swollen submandibular/salivary gland. But then it grew bigger, and moved around just a bit. Turns out, it was fibrotic edema - lymphedema that had begun to harden. I've been going for massage/physical therapy now for about six weeks and the permanent lump is gone (though if I don't wear my compression garment overnight, I wake up with a new one in the morning) “. Are you saying that you wake up with a NEW compression garment, a NEW edema lump, what are you saying?

CivilMatt

Sweet Home, OR

Population – 9,418

New lump

If I don't wear the compression garment I wake up with a new lump in the morning... the edema hardens overnight

• Dennis from Kansas
    Options
    Going to the bank

Im going to the bank and borrow the money for a pet scan if the reason is insurrance dont want to pay.I need to know for my own sanity.I dont want to wait to see what happens before insurrance decides to pay for it.When I was going through treatment they really couldnt tell me what to exspect as they hadnt dealth with only one other head and neck person.They wanted me to contact him so he couldhelp me with what to exspext.They said what they did was pretty much by the book ,but im very greatful that im still here.I think if its possible a person try to go to the best they can,

• Dean54
    Options
    I understand your concern Dennis

I just got thru a MRI last week for my neck cancer and even tho it turned out alright for now, I know deep in my heart it will resurface somewhere somehow and I despise feeling that way but can't help it. My throat feels the same as it did at the end of treatment and since it's been 7 months, it will probably always feel this way. Same with no saliva and very little taste.

I think it's human nature to worry about things and I sure wish you the best outcome possible sir.

• Dennis from Kansas
    Options
    One and a half years since last treatment

Its been one and a half years sence last treatment,still no saliva or taste, well I did try some mild taco sauce to see if I could taste it and it felt like I poured gasoline down my throat,dont think I will try that again for awhile.Im sure im not the norm from what I read so please dont judge whats going on with me with what will happen to you.From what I read im more of a lone duck and most people our almost at there new norm and doing quite well.For the new comers listen to the people who have been here for awhile as they will do there best to help you.I think my doctors could learn alot if they would read this forum.Thanks for the space to let me rant//////