Options
2»

Comments

• traci43
    traci43 Member Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Rocketman said:

Mushrooms

Look into Lions mane mushroom extract.  NIH has a study that shows that has anti-cancer properties and can prevent colon cancer from meta to the lungs.  Best source is in Netherlands from Oriveda- but can be shipped to US.  

I had grade 4 peripheral neuropathy from oxalaplatin and was told that it was likely permanent.  Got Lions mane  and it was 50% better in 4 days.  Now after 3 weeks it is almost gone.  Had no feeling in my fingers from  Sept. 2017 till now.  

Thanks!

I will definitely look into this.  Thanks for the input.  Traci

• Dick L
    Dick L Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2018 #23
    Options
    I'm addressing your "early retirement."

I'll try to keep this short, but I'll share some comments about retirement - and how my "retirement" kept me going through radiation, chemo, etc. 

To start with, I retired from corporate world fairly early, my late 50's and I've been "retired" for many years since, but I do not know what is meant by "retirement."  While I was in the last few years of the corprate world I was also teaching college in the evenlings and on weekends.  When I left the corporation, I went into what I consider the next life phase -- I went in to full time college teaching.  The teaching was very relaxing for me compared to my earlier career.  I chose coures I was really interested in, wrote my own textbooks, and had (what I think was) a great relationship with the students.  I considered myself "retired" because I was doing what I chose to do, not what I had to do.

Eventually we moved to a different location and I "retired" again from teaching.  Next became another life phase - vulunteering to help people start or improve their small business.  I was a part of the Small Business Administration - no income and no cost to business owners, but a great feeling of being able to help people improve their business.

The volunteering fouind it's way to the local womens correctional center (a nice way to say prison).  For the past couple of year I have been working one-on-one with lady inmates wh are interested in starting their own legal business when they are released.  HERE IS HOW THIS FITS INTO CANCER TREATMENT::  I was involved with the inmates during the entire time of my cancer diagnosis and treatment.   They were (and are) very strong supporters and they helped me remember that no matter how much I was slowed down and feeling sorry for myseld, they had deeper problems - but they used their energy to care about and supporst me.  

This has been a bit long - sorry -  but I hope to leave you with two messages.  There is no such thing as "retirment" unless you want it to happen - the difference between working and retirement is with retirement you can focus on family and doing what you want to do.  The second message is don't let yourself get too caught up in your own troubles -- use your energy to help others around you and try to always leave them smiling.

• plsletitrain
    plsletitrain Member Posts: 252 Member
    edited June 2018 #24
    Options
    Keep us posted

Hi traci, I will too be going for VATS on the 1st week of July.  Good luck on yours.  Will be thinking of you on the 28th.  I hope and pray we get clear margins.

• traci43
    Options
    **** L said:

I'm addressing your "early retirement."

I'll try to keep this short, but I'll share some comments about retirement - and how my "retirement" kept me going through radiation, chemo, etc. 

To start with, I retired from corporate world fairly early, my late 50's and I've been "retired" for many years since, but I do not know what is meant by "retirement."  While I was in the last few years of the corprate world I was also teaching college in the evenlings and on weekends.  When I left the corporation, I went into what I consider the next life phase -- I went in to full time college teaching.  The teaching was very relaxing for me compared to my earlier career.  I chose coures I was really interested in, wrote my own textbooks, and had (what I think was) a great relationship with the students.  I considered myself "retired" because I was doing what I chose to do, not what I had to do.

Eventually we moved to a different location and I "retired" again from teaching.  Next became another life phase - vulunteering to help people start or improve their small business.  I was a part of the Small Business Administration - no income and no cost to business owners, but a great feeling of being able to help people improve their business.

The volunteering fouind it's way to the local womens correctional center (a nice way to say prison).  For the past couple of year I have been working one-on-one with lady inmates wh are interested in starting their own legal business when they are released.  HERE IS HOW THIS FITS INTO CANCER TREATMENT::  I was involved with the inmates during the entire time of my cancer diagnosis and treatment.   They were (and are) very strong supporters and they helped me remember that no matter how much I was slowed down and feeling sorry for myseld, they had deeper problems - but they used their energy to care about and supporst me.  

This has been a bit long - sorry -  but I hope to leave you with two messages.  There is no such thing as "retirment" unless you want it to happen - the difference between working and retirement is with retirement you can focus on family and doing what you want to do.  The second message is don't let yourself get too caught up in your own troubles -- use your energy to help others around you and try to always leave them smiling.

**** - Thanks so much for the post.  I hope that I can continue to give even if I do retire.  It's just tough because I believe that working has kept the forward motion going.  So if I do retire, you're saying I need to find something else to keep the forward momentum going.  Wink  My therapist says the same.   It's good to hear there are lots of options out there after retirement.  Thanks, Traci

• traci43
    Options

Keep us posted

Hi traci, I will too be going for VATS on the 1st week of July.  Good luck on yours.  Will be thinking of you on the 28th.  I hope and pray we get clear margins.

thanks!

I'll let you know how it goes.  Hope it goes well for you in July.  Keep us posted as well.  Traci