Any advice on how to prepare my body for treatmen

Brendaklein
Brendaklein Member Posts: 121 Member

I will be starting chemo and radiation soon. Is there anything I can do to prepare for this.

Comments

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Brendaklein

Treatment can affect everyone differently, but there are some side effects that are quite common for which you can be prepared.  I weighed 105 pounds at the time of diagnosis and, due to the fact that the treatment killed my appetite towards the end, I lost about 13 pounds, weighing in at a hefty (not!) 92 pounds at one of my doctor's visits.  If you are already on the light side, weight-wise, be aware of this.  You might even want to gain a little weight ahead of time.  Diarrhea is a common side effect, so having items on hand to combat that are good--Imodium, for sure.  The BRAT diet (bananas, rice--white, applesause, and toast--white) are foods that can be eaten that MAY help with diarrhea.  If your doctors haven't already given you prescriptions for pain and nausea, ask them.  Nausea meds are most effective when taken at the earliest onset of queasiness.  Be aware that mouth sores and mouth tenderness are quite common during this treatment.  Swishing regularly with a mixture of water and baking soda or salt can help ward off mouth sores.  Try to have some good high protein foods on hand, such as eggs, fish and chicken.  Protein helps to promote healing.  If you notice your appetite tanking, get foods that you like and have a taste for.  However, be aware that sometimes what sounds good right now to you might be offputting 5 minutes from now.  That happened to me quite often.  My insides could not handle fruits and veggies very well during that time (and still can't sometimes!).  Yogurt is good for the insides, so you might want to have some on hand.  Keep in mind that your anal area may get very tender and sore, which often presents a problem with keeping things clean there, particularly if diarrhea is an issue.  Baby wipes may be good to try, but most, if not all, are NOT flushable.  Some people buy bidet attachments for their toilets.  I did not, so I really don't have a lot of information about those.  You will likely have some fatigue, so prepare to rest when your body tells you to do so.  I drove myself to treatment most days, but must admit, towards the end it was rough.  So, having someone lined up to drive you, should you just wish to have someone take you or should you get to a point where you are no longer up for driving, would be advisable.  Loose clothing will be best, so make sure you have some items that will not rub against your skin anymore than possible.  Avoiding germs when in public is important, as your defenses against such bugs as colds, etc., will be down.  Wash hands often and try to avoid places that might be particularly germy, if at all possible.  Some people even wear masks when out in public places to avoid picking up germs.  

If I think of anything else, I will add it.  I'm sure others will chime in with other suggestions as well.  I wish you all the very best as you near the beginning of treatment.  You will get through this, you will! 

• Brendaklein
    Brendaklein Member Posts: 121 Member
    mp327 said:

Brendaklein

Treatment can affect everyone differently, but there are some side effects that are quite common for which you can be prepared.  I weighed 105 pounds at the time of diagnosis and, due to the fact that the treatment killed my appetite towards the end, I lost about 13 pounds, weighing in at a hefty (not!) 92 pounds at one of my doctor's visits.  If you are already on the light side, weight-wise, be aware of this.  You might even want to gain a little weight ahead of time.  Diarrhea is a common side effect, so having items on hand to combat that are good--Imodium, for sure.  The BRAT diet (bananas, rice--white, applesause, and toast--white) are foods that can be eaten that MAY help with diarrhea.  If your doctors haven't already given you prescriptions for pain and nausea, ask them.  Nausea meds are most effective when taken at the earliest onset of queasiness.  Be aware that mouth sores and mouth tenderness are quite common during this treatment.  Swishing regularly with a mixture of water and baking soda or salt can help ward off mouth sores.  Try to have some good high protein foods on hand, such as eggs, fish and chicken.  Protein helps to promote healing.  If you notice your appetite tanking, get foods that you like and have a taste for.  However, be aware that sometimes what sounds good right now to you might be offputting 5 minutes from now.  That happened to me quite often.  My insides could not handle fruits and veggies very well during that time (and still can't sometimes!).  Yogurt is good for the insides, so you might want to have some on hand.  Keep in mind that your anal area may get very tender and sore, which often presents a problem with keeping things clean there, particularly if diarrhea is an issue.  Baby wipes may be good to try, but most, if not all, are NOT flushable.  Some people buy bidet attachments for their toilets.  I did not, so I really don't have a lot of information about those.  You will likely have some fatigue, so prepare to rest when your body tells you to do so.  I drove myself to treatment most days, but must admit, towards the end it was rough.  So, having someone lined up to drive you, should you just wish to have someone take you or should you get to a point where you are no longer up for driving, would be advisable.  Loose clothing will be best, so make sure you have some items that will not rub against your skin anymore than possible.  Avoiding germs when in public is important, as your defenses against such bugs as colds, etc., will be down.  Wash hands often and try to avoid places that might be particularly germy, if at all possible.  Some people even wear masks when out in public places to avoid picking up germs.  

If I think of anything else, I will add it.  I'm sure others will chime in with other suggestions as well.  I wish you all the very best as you near the beginning of treatment.  You will get through this, you will! 

anal cancer

Dear MP327, Thank you very much. My husband will be driving me. I am small 5 foot, 120 pounds. I do loose weight fast. Just stressing I lose weight. Thank you for the advice. I've been have a little trouble with pooping since my byopsy. I've been trying to eat more protein and protein shakes. I hope this will go well, I am scared of the treatment. The cancer is very close to my sphincter muscle. 

• tanda
    tanda Member Posts: 174 Member
    Brendaklein

You may want to ask the radiation oncologist or his/her nurse about vaginal dilators.  Vaginal stenosis is a possible side effect of radiation.   Vaginal dilators are often recommended shortly after the end of treatment .  Some people have started using them before treatment begins and even during treatment if possible and not too painful.

• mxperry220
    mxperry220 Member Posts: 493 Member
    Boost or Ensure

I drank one bottle of Ensure daily during and after treatment.  They are loaded with vitamins.

Mike

• redhawkgirl
    redhawkgirl Member Posts: 4
    Brendaklein

I also drank Ensure.  I started one chocolate ensure a day prior to treatment and continued throughout.  I was about 103 lbs. going into treatment

due to being so sick for so long and not being diagnosed correctly.  I had 2 rounds of chemo and 6 weeks daily radiation.   I found putting a couple ice cubes

in it and drinking it out of a nice glass, like a wine glass, helped!  Best wishes to you.  Redhawkgirl

• Ouch_Ouch_Ouch
    Ouch_Ouch_Ouch Member Posts: 508 Member

Brendaklein

I also drank Ensure.  I started one chocolate ensure a day prior to treatment and continued throughout.  I was about 103 lbs. going into treatment

due to being so sick for so long and not being diagnosed correctly.  I had 2 rounds of chemo and 6 weeks daily radiation.   I found putting a couple ice cubes

in it and drinking it out of a nice glass, like a wine glass, helped!  Best wishes to you.  Redhawkgirl

I'm a Boost booster.

My preference was for Boost "Rich Chocolate". Since the effect of the treatments can last for weeks or months after you stop, you may still experience nausea and weight loss. I lost more weight after treatment was over than before. 

After I finally started getting strong enough to drive, I had to keep the Boost at hand for at least a month longer to keep my blood sugar from suddenly crashing.