Soreness under jaw

I'm coming up on my 6 month check up post treatment June 27th. Three month PET/CT results were NED. Thank the Lord! A few weeks ago the area under the right side of my jaw started feeling sore to the touch. No noticeable swelling and didn't feel any pearl shaped nodes. I was diagnosed with BOT Stage IV Aug 2017 (now stage I under new staging).

Have any of you had the same type of soreness in that area after treatment? TIA!

Joe  

Comments

• AnotherSurvivor
    AnotherSurvivor Member Posts: 383 Member
    Yes, mine finally went away

Yes, mine finally went away after about 16 months post.  It was combined with my Lymphedema.  As the total swelling went down so did the tightness.  I found that my neck stretching exercises helped.  Basically it was not impossible, but was annoying. When it all sorted itself out it all happened 'pretty quick' if you discount the +year of minimal progress.  It came when I was doing a bunch of walking, doing museums in Europe.  I was also on a higher protein diet, lots of sausage, cheese, and eggs.  Generally I attribute it to increasing activity, tho I am not sure how a year of things like swimming, tai chi, etc. was not activity.  But I had tightness and now I don't, tho I wouldn't bet I'll not see it again. 

• PCB Joe
    PCB Joe Member Posts: 26

Yes, mine finally went away

Yes, mine finally went away after about 16 months post.  It was combined with my Lymphedema.  As the total swelling went down so did the tightness.  I found that my neck stretching exercises helped.  Basically it was not impossible, but was annoying. When it all sorted itself out it all happened 'pretty quick' if you discount the +year of minimal progress.  It came when I was doing a bunch of walking, doing museums in Europe.  I was also on a higher protein diet, lots of sausage, cheese, and eggs.  Generally I attribute it to increasing activity, tho I am not sure how a year of things like swimming, tai chi, etc. was not activity.  But I had tightness and now I don't, tho I wouldn't bet I'll not see it again. 

Thanks for the reply. I

Thanks for the reply. I experienced lymphedema before my last ENT visit. It went away after a week or so and haven’t experienced it since. I’m hopeful this is the same.

• SuzJ
    SuzJ Member Posts: 446 Member
    edited June 2018 #4
    I had same..

And I did the panic/stress thing... and its all in my mind.. OR

that area was just so sore from being stretched by the lump, then the Lymphedema,  and now it doesn't know how to feel, or.. I'm just paranoid.

• PCB Joe
    PCB Joe Member Posts: 26
    I feel the same way. I have

I feel the same way. I have an appt with the ENT in two weeks. He's going to scope the area. Sometimes the area just under my jawbone feels tingly and bruised. Other than that, I feel great and can eat anything I want. 

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,451 Member
    Edgy

I don't know after you have H&N cancer or any other cancer for that matter you are always

edgy about any pain or unusal feelings in the affected area in general.

And in your body overall sometimes.

We can wait a little but not too long always good to get it checked to make sure.

Blessings to all.

• AnotherSurvivor
    AnotherSurvivor Member Posts: 383 Member
    Edgy... I had a fecal sample

Edgy... I had a fecal sample come back with blood in my stool.  I switched from the H&N discussion board to Colorectal, spent two weeks reading up on that cancer.  Got the first available GI doc appointment,  drank ALL the colonoscopy prep solution, got that done, even saw my primary care for the first time in five years.

False positive, come back in 3 to 5 years.

• kgasmart
    kgasmart Member Posts: 64 Member
    Same thing!

Sounds like the exact same thing going on with me.

I'm 9 months post-op for BOT stage IV/stage I under the new staging, 6 months post radiation. About 3-4 weeks ago I noticed this one sore spot under my right chin/back closer to the ear. No swelling (besides the lymphedema, which has been pretty significant), I don't have any lymph nodes left in that area anyway; no pain unless I touch it.

Was at the surgeon's for a checkup Monday, he felt around and didn't feel anything, said not to worry about it. As noted, I've been dealing with lymphedema on this side, and notice that when I do my self-massage that sore spot happens to be the point where I rest my thumb.