Post Surgery Vomiting

Jaavik
Jaavik Member Posts: 1

I'm in recovery from Esophogeal Cancer Surgery and have been out of the hospital for close to a year. Now that a section of my esophagus has been removed and my stomach has been stretched up, I'm having a lot of problems eating.

I've lost over 100 lbs during the treatment process, and after stabilizing it a bit, I find myself getting sick almost every time I eat. If I eat too much, the food will start to buldge in the side of my neck and be really uncomfortable, unless I vomit or induce myself to vomit. Otherwise I just feel nausea. 

I'm supposed to eat like 6 small meals a day but I can barely keep down 2. I'm starting to waste again and lose weight pretty rapidly.

Has anyone else  gone through this or can point me in the right way to get help? I don't want to go back in the hospital, but I'm starting to NOT want to eat for fear of how it will make me feel.

Comments

• paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,391 Member
    This sounds like Gastroparesis

Hello Jaavick,

I am so sorry to hear you are having difficulty in your recovery. Assuming you are eating relatively small meals and stopping when you feel full; your symptoms sound like gastroparesis.

Gastroparesis is the term used to describe the issue of food moving too slowly through your digestive system. There are a number of issues that could cause this but the most common issue is that the valve at the bottom of your stomaphagus (the remainder of your modified stomach) is not allowing the food to move from your stomach into your small intestine. That value is called the pyloric sphincter.

The problem can be identified by doing a study that follows food through your digestive system or sometimes the problem can be identified with just an endoscopic study. There are a number of ways to treat this issue. They include injecting the pylorus with Botox or taking a medication to assist in moving the food through your system.

I would talk to a gastroenterologist about your issues.

Best Regards,

Paul Adams

McCormick, South Carolina
    DX 10/2009 T2N1M0  Stage IIB - Ivor Lewis Surgery  12/3/2009 - Post Surgery Chemotherapy 2/2009 – 6/2009
    Cisplatin, Epirubicin, 5 FU - Eight Year Survivor

• Jim0586
    Jim0586 Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2018 #3
    Starchy foods

Hello,

I'm almost 2 1/2 years post surgery and I sometimes have the same symptoms as well.  And I need to vomit to release pressure or alleviate nausea. I have found for me when this happens it usually involves starchy foods.  I'd keep a log of what you eat so you can narrow down when you feel worst and then try to avoid those foods.