Partial Nephrectomy

Phillyd274
Phillyd274 Member Posts: 8

Hello all. I was just diagnosed with a 2.4cm mass on my left kidney a couple of weeks ago. I will be scheduled for surgery in a few weeks. I am 41 and this is my first surgery. Of course I'm nervous about the whole process and it's mostly about what happens after surgery. Is the pain level extremely bad after surgery and how can I expect to fill after they wake me up in the recovery room? Glad to have finally found this group which seems to very informed and helpful.

Comments

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Lucky on 2 counts

Philly,

If you are going  to join our club (involuntarily I prsume) you might as well start with a little bitty tumor which signals an excellent prognosis and a little on the younger side which makes recovery a bit easier. The first week after surgery will not be fun, but we have all been there and done that.

icemantoo

• Shecka1121
    Shecka1121 Member Posts: 117 Member
    edited June 2018 #3
    Hi Philly.  I had a partial

Hi Philly.  I had a partial for a mass a bit smaller than yours.  I was 43 at time of surgery. I did not have any issues and healed just fine. I was up and around within a few hours after surgery.  I did not take any pain meds.  Good news it appears, if cancerous, that they caught yours early so statistics show that once you have the surgery, if stage1, you will be in a very good situation.  I wish you the best.

• msjax
    msjax Member Posts: 20
    Partial Neph in Feb

Hi Phillyd274,

The first few days after surgery can be uncomfortable but is doable (recliner works well for sleeping)--so take your meds, drink plenty of water, walk with equal amounts of rest. As for me, I was out of the hospital within 24 hours and back to work in 3 weeks (part-time the first week back).  Wait at least 8-12 weeks to slowly begin regular exercise--listen to your body.  Best of luck with your surgery.

• Brock1969
    Brock1969 Member Posts: 80
    msjax said:

Partial Neph in Feb

Hi Phillyd274,

The first few days after surgery can be uncomfortable but is doable (recliner works well for sleeping)--so take your meds, drink plenty of water, walk with equal amounts of rest. As for me, I was out of the hospital within 24 hours and back to work in 3 weeks (part-time the first week back).  Wait at least 8-12 weeks to slowly begin regular exercise--listen to your body.  Best of luck with your surgery.

partial neph

Posted this on other thread but in case you didn't see...

I

First of all, your mass is small. I assume you will have robot surgery. My surgeon made me feel great at the consult by telling me that he would feel comfortable with me donating that same kidney after surgery because it would be mkore than fine. I still remember that. You are going to be fine as I am sure urologists have told you during early consults. 

The wakeup is a groggy one :). They ask that you try and walk as quickly as you can. My recommendation for that is to utlize the electric bed and try not to sit up using ANY stomach muscles. Keep those babies happy. As for the walk, don't be a hero (Iceman helps me with this) and truly take mini walks but with regularity. Also, be a bulldog in the hospital. Need something? ask. Not comfortable with what you see? Let them know. I wouldn't say that the pain is all that severe, just unusual and not something you are accustomed to. Maybe a 4-5 on 10 scale. 

Catherter coming out was 3 seconds of discomfort. The drain tube was worse so brace for that. 

I stayed a total of 3 1/2 days in the hospital because of slight fevering. Better to be safe and go home when absolutely ready. Ignore the Rambo things you see on the internet of people havin a partial and then going home and splitting wood in 2 days. There is no rush...wish I heeded this advice more. 

I would say you will be groggy and sore for a good first week. Bowel movements are slow to happen as well. 

The second week is a little bit of a ruse. You are excited to be feeling better, but probably aren't feeling as great as you think. This is when I pushed things too much. Just understand that even with a partial, it's still major surgery of cutting through muscles and toying with nerves. Be patient. 

These are all personal experiences combined with the many words of advice found in this forum. Always ask this group. They are gold. 

Good luck and keep us posted. 

• Phillyd274
    Brock1969 said:

partial neph

Posted this on other thread but in case you didn't see...

I

First of all, your mass is small. I assume you will have robot surgery. My surgeon made me feel great at the consult by telling me that he would feel comfortable with me donating that same kidney after surgery because it would be mkore than fine. I still remember that. You are going to be fine as I am sure urologists have told you during early consults. 

The wakeup is a groggy one :). They ask that you try and walk as quickly as you can. My recommendation for that is to utlize the electric bed and try not to sit up using ANY stomach muscles. Keep those babies happy. As for the walk, don't be a hero (Iceman helps me with this) and truly take mini walks but with regularity. Also, be a bulldog in the hospital. Need something? ask. Not comfortable with what you see? Let them know. I wouldn't say that the pain is all that severe, just unusual and not something you are accustomed to. Maybe a 4-5 on 10 scale. 

Catherter coming out was 3 seconds of discomfort. The drain tube was worse so brace for that. 

I stayed a total of 3 1/2 days in the hospital because of slight fevering. Better to be safe and go home when absolutely ready. Ignore the Rambo things you see on the internet of people havin a partial and then going home and splitting wood in 2 days. There is no rush...wish I heeded this advice more. 

I would say you will be groggy and sore for a good first week. Bowel movements are slow to happen as well. 

The second week is a little bit of a ruse. You are excited to be feeling better, but probably aren't feeling as great as you think. This is when I pushed things too much. Just understand that even with a partial, it's still major surgery of cutting through muscles and toying with nerves. Be patient. 

These are all personal experiences combined with the many words of advice found in this forum. Always ask this group. They are gold. 

Good luck and keep us posted. 

Thanks Brock. I will

Thanks Brock. I will definitely keep you and everyone else posted on my progress. I should find out today or tomorrow on the day they will schedule my surgery. They are going to do an open partial and not the robotic. 

• Phillyd274
    msjax said:

Partial Neph in Feb

Hi Phillyd274,

Thanks everyone for sharing

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and advice. I will keep everyone posted. 

• Bay Area Guy
    Bay Area Guy Member Posts: 618 Member
    Brock’s experience was pretty

Brock’s experience was pretty much the same as mine in terms of how things proceeded, except my pain level was much lower.  From admission to discharge, I was in the hospital for a total of 25-1/2 hours.  Unlike Brock, I needed to brace for the catheter coming out.  The drain felt weird coming out, but not painful.  Maybe that was because it was the last thing to come out/off before discharge, so perhaps I was too excited to notice.

• Shecka1121
    Shecka1121 Member Posts: 117 Member
    Hi. I am sorry you are going

Hi. I am sorry you are going through this as the waiting is sometimes the worst.  If you do not have insurance, sign onto smart patients. There are some people there that know about free service or reduced out of pocket costs.  I had a 1.2 cm mass. I waited three months before getting it out and I am fine today, 3 years later.  All will be ok.