Post radiation nerve damage

redhawkgirl
redhawkgirl Member Posts: 4

I am 5 years out from anal cancer treatment.  Experiencing feet, leg thigh, buttocks tingling and pretty substantial leg weakness walking

long distances or inclines.  Anyone else?  

Comments

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member

I have occasional numbness and tingling in my lower legs and feet.  I'm almost 10 years out from treatment.  I do not know if this is treatment-related or not.

• ranisharma
    ranisharma Member Posts: 5
    Post radiation nerve damage

Radiation therapy is one component in the treatment of tumors of the nervous system. It is directed at the general area (such as the whole head) when people have several tumors or a tumor that does not have distinct borders. When the tumor has distinct borders, therapy can be directed specifically at the tumor.

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    ranisharma

You do realize we are talking about anal tumors in this group, right?

• redhawkgirl
    mp327 said:

ranisharma

You do realize we are talking about anal tumors in this group, right?

nerve damage

Thank you MP327.  and....... I am reading more about this online and it seems pelvic radiation can cause long term nerve damage and doctors don't really

discuss this as a potential side effect.  I actually am NOT complaining as I am in good health at the 5 year mark and seem to have beat this fairly rare cancer. 

I am just wondering if it progresses in terms of my legs becoming worse.  I am 59 yrs. old.

Best to all on this site.

• GoodDog2
    GoodDog2 Member Posts: 22 Member
    Tingling

Yes. Tingling almost feels like tiny spiders climbing on legs, sometimes one of my butt checks is numb for a week or so and it goes away. Once in while slight numbness in leg feels almost like carpal tunnel. I also get a LOT of leg cramps at night in both legs and feet. Muscles get stiff in a different way than they used to after exercise. I am approaching 5 years out as well. Stretching and a good massage therapist helps a little. None of this is all of the time, just from time to time.

Doctors dont really comment when I mention this, one p.a. said to try drinking tonic water. That did not help. But again, I’m with you, not complaining, not asking for my money back. I’m just happy to be here!

• redhawkgirl
    edited June 2018 #7
    nerve damage

Thanks GoodDog2.  Yes, all the things you describe are identical, although my leg tingling is pretty constant.  One of my doctors said yes, long term effect from the

pelvic radiation, but wanted me to get some testing to be sure it was that.  I saw a vascular surgeon who did an ultrasound on my legs and feet, all fine.  I also had

a pelvic MRI, to rule out any other cause.  Normal.  They just have very little advice for this side effect of pelvic radiation.  I am thankful everyday, even moreso

every day at 11:30 a.m., which was the time I had radiation every day, so I am not really complaining at all.    Best to all on this website.  

• SueBee2011
    SueBee2011 Member Posts: 9 Member
    edited July 2018 #8
    cramps and tingling

I was trying to find out if anybody got muscle cramps so this was very interesting to me.  I don't get the leg tingling but the cramps are painful.  I had throat cancer  after anal cancer so I get neck cramps too.  I always thought that the cramps had something to do with the radiation.  The leg cramps especially are hard to "uncramp".  Before my bouts with cancer, a rare leg cramp could be walked off or stretched to uncramp.  These leg cramps are quite different. It's hard to uncramp.  Try Hyland's Leg Cramps and see if that helps, Gooddog 2.  I find it does and I keep it by my bed at night.  If I'm going to the pool for exercise class, I take it before I go.   Maybe it would be helpful for the tingling also.  Sorry for your discomfort, Redhawkgirl! 

• LindaBaehr
    LindaBaehr Member Posts: 47
    Neuropathy

I have neuropathy in my fet (most likely from the chemo).  I had a nerve conduction study about a month ago, and my motor nerves are fine, but the doc only got a barely readable number on one of my sensory nerves, and the rest are shot.  i have tried Cymbalta, which has not worked.  I am getting off of that and trying Gabapentin.  I had numbness/tingling/pain/burning.  

• LindaBaehr
    LindaBaehr Member Posts: 47

Neuropathy

I have neuropathy in my fet (most likely from the chemo).  I had a nerve conduction study about a month ago, and my motor nerves are fine, but the doc only got a barely readable number on one of my sensory nerves, and the rest are shot.  i have tried Cymbalta, which has not worked.  I am getting off of that and trying Gabapentin.  I had numbness/tingling/pain/burning.  

Cramps

And I forgot to mention thaty I get terrible calf and leg cramps at night mostly.  

• OPfarmer
    OPfarmer Member Posts: 14
    edited July 2018 #11
    Neuropathy in my feet too.  

Neuropathy in my feet too.  

Understand it is from Cistplatinum chemo but maybe from Radiation too?

Gabapentin helped with restless legs at night, currently trying CBD/THC too seen if it also will help.