Fever after chemo

Nicm
Nicm Member Posts: 32 Member

my mom has stage 4 ovarian cancer. She had her first round of chemo on Monday. Today she was running a 100.5 fever. She’s just been admitted into the hospital. My sister says everyone that goes into her room has to wear a mask and her blood cells are low. What are the implications? I just want to know wha to expect and what exactly it means? What are the dangers?

Comments

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,353 Member
    Nicm, when you say her 'blood

Nicm, when you say her 'blood cells are low', I am going to guess white blood cells.  Since, as you know, those are the ones that help fight infection it makes senseyou all needing to wear masks.  She is in the hospital, a good place to help her, but I am also going to guess your sister is there?  She needs an advocate there to make sure they are doing everything they are supposed to be doing to protect her.  

I hope she is doing better since when you first posted.

• Palor
    Palor Member Posts: 21
    Hi, Nicm, 

Hi, Nicm, 

To reduce the chance of getting infection, I wear mask all the time in public closure place, like the subway.  I also eat the following 10 foods rich in B4 to increase the white blood cell count (banana, orange, apple, strawbarry, whole wheat, honey, cloves, spinish, tomato, bell pepper) , so far it works fine to me, my wbc count was very low (2.7) after the first session, and now it is back to normal (>4.0) and stay there for many sessions.

Hope it helps and she is doing better.

palor

• Nicm
    Palor said:

Hi, Nicm, 

Hi, Nicm, 

To reduce the chance of getting infection, I wear mask all the time in public closure place, like the subway.  I also eat the following 10 foods rich in B4 to increase the white blood cell count (banana, orange, apple, strawbarry, whole wheat, honey, cloves, spinish, tomato, bell pepper) , so far it works fine to me, my wbc count was very low (2.7) after the first session, and now it is back to normal (>4.0) and stay there for many sessions.

Hope it helps and she is doing better.

palor

Thank you! she has been told

Thank you! she has been told not to eat raw fruits and veggies but I’ll keep it in mind for when Her white blood cells are up

• Nicm

Nicm, when you say her 'blood

Nicm, when you say her 'blood cells are low', I am going to guess white blood cells.  Since, as you know, those are the ones that help fight infection it makes senseyou all needing to wear masks.  She is in the hospital, a good place to help her, but I am also going to guess your sister is there?  She needs an advocate there to make sure they are doing everything they are supposed to be doing to protect her.  

I hope she is doing better since when you first posted.

Thank you and yes, now both

Thank you and yes, now both my sister and I are taking turns staying here with her. but reading your post affirmed this decision. She does need an advocate here.

• Marsha02909
    Marsha02909 Member Posts: 3
    Nicm said:

Thank you! she has been told not to eat raw fruits and veggies but I’ll keep it in mind for when Her white blood cells are up

Fever

Sorry about your mom, my mom is also in hospital as of Friday with an infection.

They told my mom the same thing about raw stuff  but I cook the fruits for deserts mom enjoys it.

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,353 Member
    Nicm said:

Nicm, I hear from all the

Nicm, I hear from all the posts of other ladies (I hope you don't mind I am a visitor from the Uterine page, and believe, we gyn sisters have to stick together) everyone is told different things.  I was told I could eat bagged salad and mini carrorts - because I was not allowed to WASH them because of the risk of what might be on the outside of the peel or from the soil.  (People could prepare it for me - but since I lived alone I didn't get much variety)  In any case, maybe you can see if a dietician who specializes in helping cancer patients can come in and help tell her (and you or your sister) what she should be eating.  

Last year when we were helping my mother it was obvious if we were not around how they would have not taken care of her.  The health care industry (and I am TIRED of hearing excuses) is in horrible shape - and the patient needs someone there.  

Your mother is lucky you two are around, and obviously, she raised two loving daughters. 

• azgrandma
    azgrandma Member Posts: 609 Member
    I was also told not to eat

I was also told not to eat any fresh fruit or veggies you can not clean them good enough

• squaw0124
    squaw0124 Member Posts: 1
    Please Explain

Please explain why it is that you can not eat fruits and veggies when I would like to think you would do better on a Vegan diet.

• Tethys41
    Tethys41 Member Posts: 1,382 Member
    squaw0124 said:

Please Explain

Please explain why it is that you can not eat fruits and veggies when I would like to think you would do better on a Vegan diet.

Bacteria

Doctors tell you not to eat uncooked food while on chemo due to chemo compromising your white blood cells, therefore making you more suceptible to infection.  There are many varying opinions about the best diet for cancer patients.  Consulting with a nutrition therapist, who specializes in oncology, is the safest bet.  A nutrition therapist is not the same as a nutritionist.  There is a lot of bad information on the internet.