Biopsy again?

Options
Scubajoe
Scubajoe Member Posts: 39 Member
edited May 2018 in Anal Cancer #1

So I have finished treatment in December and when the Radiation Oncologist did the digital exam he still felt something where the cancer was.  I was pretty agressive with treatment and excersied a lot following treatment and even during treatment some.  Walking 3 miles a couple times a week etc.  So in March he had me go in for a Biopsy.  The surgeon took a good chunk about 1 cm x .5 cm x .3 cm.  Everything came back as scar tissue but such a large biopsy caused me to get a fissue on the opposite side.  After two months that finally healed.  The sirgeon already scheduled another biopsy for the end of June.  When the Dr. did the digital exam Tuesday this week he said he can feel a lot of scarring (DUH) and feels something on the opposite side which is where the fissure was.  I am sure that is even still healing and probably has a lot of scar tissue associated with that as well.  Have others experiences this?  he really does not want me to have lots of biopsies because the skin does not heal up as well after all the radiation.  He said he was not overly concerned with what he felt.   Thoughts?

Thanks

Joe

Comments

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Joe

I can understand your concern about having another biopsy.  As you already know, radiated tissue does not heal quickly.  Here's hoping that the next biopsy will go well and be negative.  May this just be scar tissue.  Please keep us posted.

• tanda
    tanda Member Posts: 174 Member
    edited May 2018 #3
    Options
    Joe

If the docs are not overly concerned, whya not wait a few months.  You are only about 5 months out.  I don't remember what was your original stage and if that would make a difference.

• Ohmy
    Ohmy Member Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My last PET scan in March was

My last PET scan in March was clear.  I had some bleeding in April so my radiologist oncologist sent me back to the doctor who diagnosed me.  He did a sigmoidoscopy and banded two hemorrhoids.  The doctor said he did not see any cancer and he did not want to do a biopsy on the radiated tissue.  The bleeding stopped and I will have another PET scan in 6 months.