Scared to death

Eddieboy
Eddieboy Member Posts: 2
edited May 2018 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

I was diagnosed with throat cancer 3 months ago.. treatment was supposed to be 33 radiation treatment and chemotherapy. I had the mask made but due to my aniexty and claustrophobia which I didn't even know I had an issue with I freaked out once they put me on the radiation table..they not only locked my head in place but also restrained my wrists and feet together with one strap...I've watched a lot of videos online and it doesn't appear other people were restrained in this manner..I was scared to death and opted out of radiation treatment..so my question is has this type of restraint been used on anyone else? Anxiety pills were useless and they refuse to sedate me..i started chemo and they said after the chemotherapy then i can try the radiation again..i just dont get why they cant sedate me for these treatments. Also has anyone only done chemotherapy without radiation and made it to remition?

Comments

• Tonita
    Tonita Member Posts: 197 Member
    Are you more scared of the

Are you more scared of the radiation or actually dying from the cancer?

• swopoe
    swopoe Member Posts: 492
    I am sorry. They did the same

I am sorry. They did the same exact thing to my husband for tongue cancer. They had me watch for the first time, and I was the one that lost it. My husband was a trooper. The radiation really is important though. Can you try a different anxiety med to get you through? Put some music of your choosing on while you have radiation? A lot of people do that. There are ways to get through it, and you really have to try.

• ProustLover
    ProustLover Member Posts: 120 Member
    Swopoe is right

Eddieboy - it's hard, but Swopoe is right...you really have to try.  Radiation is a highly effective means of killing cancer cells, especially when combined with chemo's effects.   In my husband's case, his radiation doctor referred to radiation as "the meat and potatoes," and chemo as "the gravy."  As you look over this site, you'll read about many people's anxiety, and you'll find the what they did to endure.  In my husband's case, he was not initially offered radiation for his tongue cancer, and it did metasticize to his neck.  I understand your anxiety, and am so sorry you're faced with this now.  

• amymatt
    amymatt Member Posts: 2
    I didn't have my wrists or

I didn't have my wrists or feet strapped, the mask was locked and that was tramatic enough. I did take anxiety meds and they played music for me. The radiation is very very important. It's been 2 years since my treatments and reading what you're going through brings back anxiety. The amount of time for each radiation treatment was not long. YOU CAN DO THIS!!

• amymatt
    amymatt Member Posts: 2
    Depending how busy they are

Depending how busy they are maybe they can let you try being restrained for just a few minutes when you're there for chemo treatments. The Cleveland Clinic was wonderful. Cancer Facilities should try to do whatever possible they can for your comfort. 

• OKCnative
    OKCnative Member Posts: 326 Member
    Did 35 rads in three

Did 35 rads in three locations. Took 15-20 minutes each time. I looked at it as "nap time." They put on some music, I'd close my eyes and usually doze off.

Never seen them strap anyone down. You must be a squirmer. You gotta stay still.

If I could on choose one treatment it would be radiation over chemo. Chemo will get the runaway cells, but you need radiation to zap the tumor that is creating them. No chemo also opens you up to most likely surgery. I thankfully avoided surgery.

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,274 Member
    Tough for You but you have to Get Through the Rads

Five years ago for me.

I did 35 Radiation Treatments.

These treatments are vital to eradicating your cancer you have to set your mind like a rock solid warrior

and make up your mind you are gonna make it through.

I had the mask like everyone else and they fasten it to the table so your head does not move.

They have a precise computer program made up specifically to radiate your area of cancer and your case only

since it is precise you can not move hence clamping the mask to the table.

I was not restrained but I think they put sort of a padded strap with velcro and sort of hooked both

both my arms through it so I would be comfortable and not have to hold them up.

I would ask them if you can just have the mask fastened to the table and if not find the reason they

are fastening your hands and feet ask questions.

I'm betting it is to try to make you comfortable while you have to stay still.

I will say the first Radiation is the toughest. Tough for most people probably. But the staff should be a great help and make you comfortable.

Take meds to calm down and make up your mind and trust in God and that the folks treating you have the ability and caring

to give you the best treatment possible and they care about your comfort and well being.

Reading CSN I used some ideas I found on here have them put tunes you like take your own CD or thumb drive or

whatever their technology accomodates if necessary. Say prayers during your treatment or some people said they

had their own far off place they would travel to in their mind or some would think about plans for the house or the next day

or the family or the kids or grand kids just let your mind travel away and before you know it you will be done.

Get that first Rad under your belt and you broke the barrier you will make it.

Again--Don't Give Up--This Radiation completes the whole of your treatment and it is a Vital Part.

Prayers your way and Best of Luck.

• Kathryn in Houston
    Kathryn in Houston Member Posts: 20 Member
    edited June 2018 #9
    amymatt said:

Depending how busy they are

Depending how busy they are maybe they can let you try being restrained for just a few minutes when you're there for chemo treatments. The Cleveland Clinic was wonderful. Cancer Facilities should try to do whatever possible they can for your comfort. 

Good idea

See if they will let you practice. Couple minues with just the mask. Then next time a couple minutes with the other restraints if they must. You could get used to it that way.

• Kathryn in Houston
    Kathryn in Houston Member Posts: 20 Member
    I had 30 treatments of radiation

I was scared to death the first time too. Did they put you through simulation first? That is where they do it without the real rads to see how you will react. They only strapped my mask down. No other restraints. I don't know if I would have been able to do that either. This is how I got through it and if you don't know how, please learn. I meditated. It's easy to learn. I would meditate each time. I have claustrophobia too however meditating does take you to some far off places and before you know it, it's over. Now, I know this sounds crazy but it worked for me... I would also envision everyone I know that I loved that has passed away would show up 2 by 2 and rub my feet. Crazy like I said but if you learn to meditate it will seem real. You CAN to this. It is mind over matter. Try different drugs if you need to. After the first week, it will not big as big of a deal anymore. I was able to stop the drugs after that. Please try... Your life may depend on it. Let us know how you do. I'm praying for you. It's been 5 years for me.

• SuzJ
    SuzJ Member Posts: 427 Member
    I know they have the padded

I know they have the padded straps (when the bed is real thin) but with a wedge under your knees, if you cross your arms you should be ok.

At least with straps on, you cant fall off. Imagine falling off with your head in the mask!