Treatment started today!

Bernie706
Bernie706 Member Posts: 4

Hello everyone.  I had my first radiation and chemo infusion treatments today.  Radiation 5 days/week, chemo pills twice/day.   Wow! Help!!!

Is coconut oil good to apply daily after radaition treatmemt/does it help?  I also have Aquaphor.  First treatment so no skin irritation yet.  Want to be as prepared as I can.  Any suggestions?  

I am a strong person and know i can get through this!  So glad I found this site!

Comments

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited May 2018 #2
    Bernie706

So sorry you are having to go through this, but I hope you'll find lots of support and information here.  This treatment can get a little rough towards the end, but it is totally doable.  Just like you have already done, ask for suggestions on how to deal with side effects and the folks here will do their best to help you.  A lot of people do find coconut oil helpful, although I used Aquaphor in the beginning, switching to Silver Sulfadiazine (prescription) in the latter part of my treatment in 2008.  Just be sure to remove any oils, creams, or ointments completely from your skin prior to getting a radiation treatment.  Any residue left on the skin can increase the burning effects of the radiation. 

You will get through this, as you stated.  So many of us have, including me almost 10 years ago.  It was worth the discomfort, as I'm still here.  Hang in there and lean on us virtually for support--we'll help you get through this!

• Ohmy
    Ohmy Member Posts: 102 Member
    My treatment ended on March

My treatment ended on March 17, 2017.  Brutal but doable is the best description I read on this site describing the treatment.  I didn't use any ointments during treatment because I was afraid I could not remove it all everyday.  I did take my pain medication.  I remember getting radiation burns in the 5th week of treatment and they progressed for a couple of weeks after treatment ended.  I used Aquaphor, aloe, and Domeboro compresses on the burns.  I still use Aquaphor and I love my boxer shorts. I am feeling pretty good one year later.  So just focus on getting through the treatment and remember we are here for you.  Reading the blogs really helped me during treatment.

• smc0057
    smc0057 Member Posts: 17
    Treatment completed April 4, 2018

So I'm 7 weeks post-treatment.   I had terrible burns starting about week 5 of treatment and the week after treatment was the worst.  Then my skin healed rapidly (on the outside, there's still some soreness inside).  I'm back to riding my bikes and trying to get my strength and stamina built back up.   During the worst of the burns I used Aquaphor and viscous lidocaine mixed together.  The lidocaine was too painful to use straight.  That helped a lot.  And take your pain meds!  I tried not to take narcotics, but when I finally gave in they helped me cope a lot.  I also wore men's boxer shorts.  I wore housedresses at home and went commando.  LOL 

It's definitely a difficult/brutal/awful treatment, but at least it doesn't last forever.  Hang in there and I wish you the best!

Sherie

• Nana442
    Nana442 Member Posts: 30
    Bernie706

Im 6 weeks post treatment, still using aquaphor but I only used the creams they gave me due to symptoms and try not to itch!  Boxers are a must or nothing at all!  I wore house dresses at home.  It's a long road and there's a lot of support on this site wish I would have found it 6 weeks ago!  I exercised (walked) as much as I could but when my body said rest I did!  My energy level us getting better but very slow coming back, I appreciate people on this site telling me to take it easy so you remember listen to your body & take it easy!  Prayers for you.

• Ouch_Ouch_Ouch
    Ouch_Ouch_Ouch Member Posts: 508 Member
    Nana442 said:

Bernie706

Im 6 weeks post treatment, still using aquaphor but I only used the creams they gave me due to symptoms and try not to itch!  Boxers are a must or nothing at all!  I wore house dresses at home.  It's a long road and there's a lot of support on this site wish I would have found it 6 weeks ago!  I exercised (walked) as much as I could but when my body said rest I did!  My energy level us getting better but very slow coming back, I appreciate people on this site telling me to take it easy so you remember listen to your body & take it easy!  Prayers for you.

Added tip....

For those of you who find the lanolin in Aquaphor irritating, or those of you who are vegetarians, Albolene is a very similar product, sans lanolin. Albolene is frequently recommended by dermatologists, plastic surgeons, and estheticians for use on the face. But before applying any product to skin that's being irradiated, check with your radiation oncologist or the nurse to make sure that it doesn't interfere with your treatments.

.^_^.

• Bernie706
    mp327 said:

Bernie706

So sorry you are having to go through this, but I hope you'll find lots of support and information here.  This treatment can get a little rough towards the end, but it is totally doable.  Just like you have already done, ask for suggestions on how to deal with side effects and the folks here will do their best to help you.  A lot of people do find coconut oil helpful, although I used Aquaphor in the beginning, switching to Silver Sulfadiazine (prescription) in the latter part of my treatment in 2008.  Just be sure to remove any oils, creams, or ointments completely from your skin prior to getting a radiation treatment.  Any residue left on the skin can increase the burning effects of the radiation. 

You will get through this, as you stated.  So many of us have, including me almost 10 years ago.  It was worth the discomfort, as I'm still here.  Hang in there and lean on us virtually for support--we'll help you get through this!

Thank you so much for your

Thank you so much for your response, advice and support!!  Truly appreciated!!!   

• Bernie706
    Thanks for your support!

I am so very thankful for all of your responses!  I just happen to find this blog while googling anal cancer and so glad I found it! 

Into week 2!  Little fatigued and feeling some pain but taking pain medications and seeing Pain Management team regularly. 

• Bernie706
    QUESTIONS

Hello everyone.  Couple of questions I don't feel embarassed to ask on this site - once I am further into treatment and skin is irritated, how do you keep yourself clean after bowel movements?  And .. when using a sitz bath should you hust use water or is anything added?

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Bernie706

Please don't hesitate to ask questions here and don't be embarrassed.  As for cleaning after BM's, many people buy a type of bidet attachment for their commode.  Others used peri-bottles, which allow water to be sprayed on the genital area for cleaning.  I didn't know about either of these, so I kept a bucket of water by the toilet and dipped toilet paper into it to get it wet, which was less abrasive on my skin.  A few times, I just got in the shower to clean off.  Do not flush baby wipes if you try those.  As for baths, I just sat in lukewarm water, but some people add Epsom salts. 

• Ouch_Ouch_Ouch
    edited May 2018 #11
    Bernie706 said:

QUESTIONS

Hello everyone.  Couple of questions I don't feel embarassed to ask on this site - once I am further into treatment and skin is irritated, how do you keep yourself clean after bowel movements?  And .. when using a sitz bath should you hust use water or is anything added?

- deleted -

Delated and moved downward.

• Ouch_Ouch_Ouch
    mp327 said:

Bernie706

Please don't hesitate to ask questions here and don't be embarrassed.  As for cleaning after BM's, many people buy a type of bidet attachment for their commode.  Others used peri-bottles, which allow water to be sprayed on the genital area for cleaning.  I didn't know about either of these, so I kept a bucket of water by the toilet and dipped toilet paper into it to get it wet, which was less abrasive on my skin.  A few times, I just got in the shower to clean off.  Do not flush baby wipes if you try those.  As for baths, I just sat in lukewarm water, but some people add Epsom salts. 

More....

To reduce tushy pain, look into using "Sage Products Comfort Barrier Cream Cloths" until such time as you can go back to toilet paper.. They are veeery soothing. They are large, so I cut them into quarters, the size of toilet paper squares. They are rugged, but extremely soft, far superior to baby wipes. You can get them through Amazon. I bought them by the carton for a year. I couldn't have survived without them. I don't know if any other companies makes a similar product. (They are used by the Hudson Valley VA for their nursing home clients.) A nurse first gave them to me during a hospitalization, when my skin was fried black and bloody from the radiation. 

https://shopsageproducts.com/store/p/56-Comfort-Shield-reg-Barrier-Cream-Cloths-8-Pack.aspx

[I bring these up when someone suffers from radiation damage, but I swear to you that I have no stock in the company nor am I a sales rep .^_^.  These really are that good to use.]

• dln1014
    dln1014 Member Posts: 5
    Bernie706 said:

QUESTIONS

Keeping clean

Actually I found the Huggies brand the best and I still use them, I'm 7 years cancer free but still feel the need because toilet paper irritates me after one use. Do make sure you get the unscented brand. Also make sure any soap you use during your treatments is unscented, it will help a great deal. God Bless, you're going to do fine! ;)