Mom one year out from apr for recurrence

Options
swood9008
swood9008 Member Posts: 116 Member

Hi all just wanted to check in, my mom was initially diagnosed in Jan 2015 stage 2. Treated with standard treatment, jan 2017 started with bleeding and pain again ct and biopsie showed recurrence. She was tested in May 2017 with an apr colostomy, she has been doing much better but we went to a different dr for oncology for follow up protocal and he didnt seem very optimistic about not having a 3rd recurrence. She’s been feeling well but he schdueld a pet scan to be safe? 

Comments

• Mollymaude
    Mollymaude Member Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Swood

Wow it’s been a year since her recurrence? It seems like just a few months ago I was reading your posts during her treatment. It seems reasonable for her new doctor to want to get a scan and it will give you peace of mind about recurrence. i Hope your mom has adjusted to her colostomy and is doing well. Nice to hear from you.

• swood9008
    swood9008 Member Posts: 116 Member
    edited May 2018 #3
    Options

Swood

Wow it’s been a year since her recurrence? It seems like just a few months ago I was reading your posts during her treatment. It seems reasonable for her new doctor to want to get a scan and it will give you peace of mind about recurrence. i Hope your mom has adjusted to her colostomy and is doing well. Nice to hear from you.

It does feel like yesterday!

It does feel like yesterday! She’s doing pretty well! She’s going for a knee replacement next week so just anorher step in the right direction, i know it’s his job to be realistic but he seemed so negative. She didn’t go because of any issues she just felt better at a bigger hospital where she had her apr done for she wanted to follow up with oncology. So nice to hear from you as well, hope all is well 

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    swood9008

It's good to get an update on your mom and I'm glad she is doing well.  Sounds like the new oncologist was a downer, which makes me question his expertise with anal cancer.  I hope the PET scan will show she's in the all clear.  Please let us know what the scan shows.  I am keeping all fingers and toes crossed for good news for her!