Feel like a ball is in my throat...normal???

Options
Charmit
Charmit Member Posts: 87

Starting week three tomorrow and today and yesterday it feels as if a ball is in the left side of my throat. I can eat fine but feel it when I swallow, and jaw and neck feel stiff when I do the swallow and neck exercises. Not to mention the entire left side of my neck is tender to toucH. Is rhe lump in my throats normal or should I be worried?? I know I go tomorrow and will ask the doctors but if anybody can answer this tonight it would help. Like I said other then loss of taste I have no issues eating. No pain just the constant feeling there is something in my throat.

Thanks I’m advance 

Charlene

Comments

• kgasmart
    kgasmart Member Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Lump in throat

Hi Charlene, your situation sounds kind-of similar to what I've been dealing with.

Laser surgery for BOT cancer on right side + full neck dissection back in December, then the first day of radiation therapy I felt a lump in my throat on the right side/same side as the cancer was. It grew during the first few weeks of radiation therapy then stopped growing but it's been there ever since, sitting right on top of my Adam's apple. Hard lump in the morning that gets more diffuse as the day goes on. I can still swallow & speak & breathe OK but the lump is always there, I can feel it, and I was freaking out wondering what it was.

Both my local ENT and the surgeon said don't worry about it, it's just the lymphedema (which has been considerable in my case) but I wasn't sure I believed them. Then I went for my first round of lymphedema therapy/message last week and the therapist said - Oh yeah, it's just fibrotic edema.

And then she massaged my neck/the lump and it really softened up. And for the first time in months I felt hope that the lump might actually go away someday!

So, ask your doc about this but particularly if you've had the surgery or you're already noticing lymphedema, that's what it might be.

• OKCnative
    OKCnative Member Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    The lump feeling is normal.

The lump feeling is normal. Mine varied between feeling like dense swelling to feeling like a cotton ball. Had that feelling for some time. It also returns when I get a bit dehydrated.

• kgasmart
    Options
    OKCnative said:

The lump feeling is normal.

The lump feeling is normal. Mine varied between feeling like dense swelling to feeling like a cotton ball. Had that feelling for some time. It also returns when I get a bit dehydrated.

How long did it take to go away?

Curious as to how long it took for your lump to go away. Mine has been with me since February, can't be rid of it soon enough!

• OKCnative
    OKCnative Member Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    kgasmart said:

How long did it take to go away?

Curious as to how long it took for your lump to go away. Mine has been with me since February, can't be rid of it soon enough!

Mine fluctuates from very

Mine fluctuates from very noticeable to barely noticeable. But, it never goes completely away. Dehydration and lots of exercise makes it worse. I'm pretty much used to it now and most days I barely notice it.

• kgasmart
    Options
    OKCnative said:

Mine fluctuates from very

Mine fluctuates from very noticeable to barely noticeable. But, it never goes completely away. Dehydration and lots of exercise makes it worse. I'm pretty much used to it now and most days I barely notice it.

I guess this is the new normal

I guess this is the new normal I have to get used to. I'm noticing that dehydration makes my situation worse as well.