Options
2»

Comments

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    dan1658 said:

Lidocaine

is the key ingredient in my batch. That is the numbing effect. Mine also has benadryl and malox (sp)

I had some Lidocaine for my mouth sores

dan1658,

You sound like a very reasonable H&N member who has traversed this (7 weeks only, on average) treatment window with nary a hair out of place. You should be congratulated; you should participate in the forum, if you like to and help new members try to avoid the uncomfortable pitfalls which entrapped many of us. No kidding, newbies always appreciate help.

I am the middle of the road kind of help. I can help change the tire, but I do not rebuild the engine.

Matt

• Charmit
    Charmit Member Posts: 87
    Options
    dan1658 said:

Need better insurance mine paid all but $10

Normally never had a issue

Normally never had a issue picking up meds but this one time. 

• dan1658
    dan1658 Member Posts: 11
    Options
    CivilMatt said:

I had some Lidocaine for my mouth sores

dan1658,

You sound like a very reasonable H&N member who has traversed this (7 weeks only, on average) treatment window with nary a hair out of place. You should be congratulated; you should participate in the forum, if you like to and help new members try to avoid the uncomfortable pitfalls which entrapped many of us. No kidding, newbies always appreciate help.

I am the middle of the road kind of help. I can help change the tire, but I do not rebuild the engine.

Matt

Thank You but...

Even though the treatments have went well I'm not so convinced about going back to work at least what I did prior to having treatment but the Dr did mention I was in the very very very early stages of cancer when I started. In fact, I had no reral symptoms other than a little hoarse after a day's work no pain and then jumping right into radiation with all of it's turmoil. I think someone described it as being proactive.

• Darkdancer333
    Darkdancer333 Member Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I use a q-tip and hit the

I use a q-tip and hit the sores i can feel 

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Charmit said:

Fifty bucks down the drain on

Fifty bucks down the drain on that seeing insurance won’t pick up. Ordered me another kind they maybe be better we shall see.

hometown formulas

The reason insurance often does not pay for the magic mouthwash is there is no standard formula so no entry in the pharma insurance books on it. Different oncologists have different ingredients and different amounts. If your mouth gets sores, this stuff will help out. Just take a bit and swish it around the wound/ulcer. Spit it out. For me, my throat was full of raw so I swished, garlgled, and slowly let it drip down my throat. Every little bit of pain relief helps.

• OKCnative
    OKCnative Member Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I was initially prescribed

I was initially prescribed Magic Mouthwash. I gave it a try. The taste was fine - considering everything I put in my mouth tasted aweful. However, since my pain was down my throat (from radiation), the MM didn't reach that far back and made everything except the sore area numb. I also did not like that 'just stepped out of the dentists' office' feeling. So, I tossed my full bottle into the trash. Luckily it only cost me about $15.

I know some people really find MM helpful. You might try DarkDancer's recommendation of spot treating the sore areas. If a q-tip doesn't work you might look into disposable dental swabs. Larger than a Q-Tip and I used them a lot to clean my mouth to get all the mucous out before eating.

In the end, no prescription pain meds worked for me and I didn't want the side effects or potential for addicition - I went with recreational grade THC from another state.

• kk2628
    kk2628 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Tomorrow I will finish my 4th

Tomorrow I will finish my 4th week of radiation, I am using the magic mouthwash now and it is helping with the pain while eating.  Swallowing is the biggest issue for me right now it is very painful and the Dr wants me to do 6 bottles of Ensure a day.  I get down 3 on a good day, still eating some soup and ice cream.  I am guessing the pain is going to get worse.  I am also using MU Gard which seems to be helping.  If anyone has suggestions for the pain I would love to hear them. Thanks

• Charmit
    Charmit Member Posts: 87
    Options
    kk2628 said:

Tomorrow I will finish my 4th

Tomorrow I will finish my 4th week of radiation, I am using the magic mouthwash now and it is helping with the pain while eating.  Swallowing is the biggest issue for me right now it is very painful and the Dr wants me to do 6 bottles of Ensure a day.  I get down 3 on a good day, still eating some soup and ice cream.  I am guessing the pain is going to get worse.  I am also using MU Gard which seems to be helping.  If anyone has suggestions for the pain I would love to hear them. Thanks

Ended my 4th week the 25th

Ended my 4th week the 25th still no throat pain but I’m told it is coming, few sores in my left cheek but no pain there either more annoying. Still can’t stomach the magic mouthwash at all. Lost some weight but can’t eat all food taste like crap, make shakes and smoothies. Three weeks to go and each day I wake nd hope I continue with no pain but I also know it’s coming. One day at a time I guess. I pray your journey goes quickly, how many more weeks for you?? Seems the standard is 7 weeks. The mucas is getting tonme more then anything to where I throw up. Fun fun

• jh davis
    jh davis Member Posts: 8
    Options
    5 mos post treatment and still using it

Charmit, My "wash" is 1/3 Lidocaine, 1/3 liquid cherry antacid/Malox, & 1/3 liquid children's benedril; I threw it up the first time too, but I got to the point where I needed something and tried a small sip again, I had to swallow it to get it down far enough and I tolerated it ok.  I still have issues with a crevice in my throat where the tumor was so I'm still using it, my guess is you'll find it does more good than harm.  Goood luck, JD