Shake Boosters

Options

Hi,

I'm in week 3-4 of my 7 week IMRT treatment for the left tonsil.  I've lost a couple pounds in the last couple of days and don't have a PEG. I think I am getting close to not eating anything solid because of ulcers on my tongue and soreness in the roof of my mouth.  I'm getting ready to switch to the VHC Boost to get my calorie count up so I don't lose more weight.  I saw someone had posted something about adding 3 table spoons Viva Naturals MCT Coconut Oil to boost shake up by 420 calories.   I'm a little hesitant to use the coconut oil as it is mostly saturated fat and I'm on cholesterol medication.  Has any one used this or something else to boost the calorie values up on their shakes?

Thanks for you advice.

Steve (MindoverMatter )

Comments

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    what to drink or add to drink

MindOverMatter,

There are some drinks that contain a lot of calories and H&N members have been real proud and ready to share what they are.  It happens once in a while we have a desperate member who is on the verge of being PEGged and they are saved by many calories in a small package.  The name escapes me right now, but I should get it soon. I used to doctor my smoothies with vegetable oil and nuts to add calories, but I did not have a cholesterol drug to worry about.  Remember to talk to your nurse, doctor or nutritionist if you want lots of calories and you do not want a PEG.  I did have a PEG, but looking back with my H&N knowledge, I could have made it without.  I always drank at least one meal a day and went on to the smoothie wagon for 7 months after having my PEG removed at 2 weeks post. I knew I would drink my calories for a while, but it took me a little longer.

I will look for you,

Matt

• FamilyLove
    FamilyLove Member Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Weight

There is something called Benecal but I don't remember the amount of calories it adds. Not sure about the cholesterol count either.   I also used whey protien in my shakes.  Best wishes  

• MindOverMatter
    MindOverMatter Member Posts: 13
    edited May 2018 #4
    Options
    Shake Calorie Boosters

Thanks for the replies CivilMatt and FamilyLove.  My wife suggested avacodo oil so I might give that try. She says it is tasteless and the colorie count is close to coconut oil.  So I'm going to give it a try tomorrow. I learned the lesson to add the oil to the shake at the end or else you get a lot of foam.

Thanks,

Steve (MindoverMatter)

• soonermom
    soonermom Member Posts: 155
    edited May 2018 #5
    Options
    Vitamix

We used a Vitamix to make shakes/smoothies with all fresh ingredients including half to a full avocado.  In the end I ordered some smoothies from Daily Harvest and then added things like peanut butter, almond milk and avocado to increase the calorie count.  The Vitamix was a lifesaver for us until my husband recovered enough to eat soid food again.  My husband liked being able to have some real food once his taste/food aversions abated.  He lived on VHC Boost during the most difficult parts of treatment and recovery when he had some very significant food/smell aversions and other issues that made eating very diffiuclt. A year after then end of treatment he can eat almost anything he wants, so hang in there as the ride might get bumpy in the next few weeks.  Tonight he ate roast, baked potato and grilled vegetables.  It is wonderful to see him enjoying food, cooking, and shopping again. During treatment and for weeks after he could not even enter a store because the smell of food made him sick.  Everyone reacts differently to treatment but just hold on to the idea that however you react, things will get better in time. Stay strong!  

• ByeByeCancer
    ByeByeCancer Member Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend

I highly recommend Benecalorie! It adds an easy 330 calories in every 1.5oz container.  Available on Amazon in a 24 pack.  I would add one of those to every smoothie I made for my husband.  

https://www.amazon.com/Benecalorie-Calorie-Protein-Enhancer-Unflavored/dp/B001W6RHOS/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1525715896&sr=8-3&keywords=benecalorie

• SuzJ
    SuzJ Member Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol

Your cholesterol count will be all over the place after this, believe me, I know. I thought I'd be in a good place, with great numbers - but they were horrible.

Just concentrate on calories. (ice cream in shakes!)