CT reveals liver lesions

holly31
holly31 Member Posts: 6

Hello,

For approx. 3 months, I have had severe right flank pain.  Finally went to see the doctor and had an ultrasound and bloodwork.  This was done in March.  The ultrasound report revealed no kidney stones and nothing on liver.  HOwever a uterine cyst is present and I have gallstones which the doctor does not believe is contributing to the pain.

Still experiencing pain, I went for a CT a couple weeks ago.  Kidneys still show no stones, however, liver shows 2 lesions present.  1 is 3.9 cm and the other is 1.5 cm.  Not sure how this was not picked up on ultraound done 1 month prior!!   CT indicates these lesions are indeterminant.  Also suggests that prominent subcentimeter lymph nodes are seen.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

thank you.

Comments

• OzarkGal
    OzarkGal Member Posts: 41
    Scans

I have never heard of an ultasound done on the liver.  Initially, I had a CT scan that idenitified masses in the liver.  That was followed by an MRI of the liver.  The MRI procedure included contrast dye (injectedf via IV) that identifies probable cancerous tumors based on metabolic activity.  I also had a PET scan w/ contrast that identifies probable cancerous tumors based on metabolic activitity but over a large area from the lower brain to the lower pelvic region.  According to BeatingBowelCancer.org, MRI is "the best type of scan for detecting liver lesions and [establishing] whether they are cancerous."  Has your doctor suggested an MRI?

• richnkim
    richnkim Member Posts: 31
    CT Scan

My husband has Bile Duct Cancer and the tumor on his liver was found by a ultrasound. He went in thinking it was his gallbladder and they saw the huge tumor on his liver from there is was a PET Scan and then a biospy.

If they don't know for sure what is going on with these tumors can they do a biopsy? If they do that they can send it out to see what mutations it pulls in so your ahead of the game if they say chemo and that stops working, sometimes tumor mutation testing can take weeks or months to be done, if they do it now you'll be ready with Plan B if Plan A is chemo.

• holly31
    Thank you.  Richnkim,  during

Thank you.  Richnkim,  during this same CT it indicated I have gallstones but dr. Doesnt believe this is cause for the pain.  Ultrasound is scheduled for may 16th.  The concern by dr is that it is quite big at 4cm and there is another at 1.5.  I suspect next step after ultrasound will be MRI.   Hopefully its benign but the right side flank pain is the symptomatic cause of concern.

Hope your husband is doing well.

• richnkim
    richnkim Member Posts: 31
    Right side pain

Holly31 Rich did have side and shoulder pain at first he thought his shoulder pain was from needing a new pillow and then the side pain came and that's when he thought of it being his gallbladder as he's had those attacks before. When they did the ultrasound they did see some small gallstones but after seeing the huge tumor on his liver they than knew for sure where the pain was coming from.

When they did the biospy afterwards he experienced that same side pain as if he was having a gallbladder attack, I guess they stirred things up again.

MRI sounds good but I would also suggest a PET Scan just to see if it "lights up"and to see if there are other places to,  if it did I would assume they would do a biospy.

Good luck on the 16th and take care!

• holly31
    richnkim said:

Right side pain

Holly31 Rich did have side and shoulder pain at first he thought his shoulder pain was from needing a new pillow and then the side pain came and that's when he thought of it being his gallbladder as he's had those attacks before. When they did the ultrasound they did see some small gallstones but after seeing the huge tumor on his liver they than knew for sure where the pain was coming from.

When they did the biospy afterwards he experienced that same side pain as if he was having a gallbladder attack, I guess they stirred things up again.

MRI sounds good but I would also suggest a PET Scan just to see if it "lights up"and to see if there are other places to,  if it did I would assume they would do a biospy.

Good luck on the 16th and take care!

Thank you so much for those

Thank you so much for those details and advice.  I will certainly discuss with doctor.  Appreciate your response.

take care

• holly31
    Update

For anyone following this thread,here is an update.  I received the results of my US.  The report indicates that the lesion is still indeterminate and requires further investigation.  Findings show "hypoechoic nodular focus within the caudate lobe, is favoured to be solid"

Not sure if hypoechoic is good or bad....hopefully the next test reveals what this is.

• Limbata
    Limbata Member Posts: 3
    some info

Although I never had US for my 'growth' I thought I'd share with you this reference which you may find interesting: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29594466

• Jackgaglio
    Jackgaglio Member Posts: 4
    Spelling corrections

Twenty five pounds I  just got back

• Jackgaglio
    Jackgaglio Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2018 #10
    Liver cancer. Pet scan shows nothing but mri does?

Last year I was diagnosed with cancer of the mouth hpv16 virus.

I' have been diagnosed with liver cancer. I have hep c 

I had a pet scan done last november, they found a lesion on my liver but it didn't  light up. This was done November of 2017, I had to leave state in December 2017. When I got back I went to my doctor and ordered an MRI,

THIS WAS DONE JUNE 12,  and ordered an for the gi doctor. They review the mri, and just by looking at it they said it was 90%cancer I asked him then why did it not light up last year? He gave me a answer, maybe it just got there. No I tell him, they found it already with the petscan,remember?  He then told me that's why we are going to order a biopsy. Now, how can this doctor tell just by looking at an mri, is that better then a petscan? This was done yesterday. I looked up the symtons, I've got no appetite and have lost 5lbs in 2 weeks. I try to a tribute it to stress, because I'm still  not recovered from the mouth cancer, that took alot out of me, I just got my 20bs I lost back and now this. There is no cure and the 5 year percentage spread isn't that good either. CAN SOMEBODY TALK TO ME ABOUT THIS. THANKS 

• Bnbuf62
    Bnbuf62 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2018 #11
    holly31 said:

Update

For anyone following this thread,here is an update.  I received the results of my US.  The report indicates that the lesion is still indeterminate and requires further investigation.  Findings show "hypoechoic nodular focus within the caudate lobe, is favoured to be solid"

Not sure if hypoechoic is good or bad....hopefully the next test reveals what this is.

Hcc liver cancer stage 3b

If you are seeing a pcp or : gastrologist. Get to an oncologist asap and have him/her to order a MRI. I was told 2 years ago after an ultrasound I had a 1.2 cm cyst in my rt LOBE of my liver, an oncologist year later they sent me for an abdominal ultrasound, well low and behold that 1.2cm cyst turn out to be a 5.4 CM tumor, it had grown 4 times in size, don't trust Drs, just pray for them, cause from stage 1 to stage 3B and I'm praying to get my AFP TUMOR MARKER BLOOD NUMBERS under a thousand, so I can get back to the transplant list, without a transplant I have 2-3 years they figure

• holly31
    edited September 2018 #12
    update

Hello, thought I would post an update, still experiencing the right side pain.  Had an MRI with contrast yesterday for the 2 undetermined lesions found through CT and US.  I am waiting for the official report, however, was told afterward that the lesions were solid and hypodense and was asked if I was seeing a hepatologist oncologist, so now I am googling the heck out of "hypodense solid lesion", does anyone have a similar experience?  Is hypodense indicative of malignancy?

thank you

• Liver cancer
    Liver cancer Member Posts: 52 Member
    Ultrasounds, MRI, CT Scan

I have had two ultrasounds done on my first tumor, about 5 MRIs and three CT Scans. The ultrasounds where done to see if the doctor could cut it out and so forth. It's not like a baby ultrasound, although the liver is full of blood it is different than a womb, yes it uses the gel, the wand, the monitor. Techs usually turn it away from your sight and it is a good tool. A solid lesion means its a tumor, a cut is also a lesion and that is the difference. My new cancers are 9mm each, so far, and a targeted procedure has been working. My last tumors were found by accident, the MRI roved and took a last picture which showcased two more lesions. I already knew, I could feel the cancer, but Medicare informed me not my doctor. I am currently seeking a new doctor. It doesn't help that I moved 1200 miles, maybe, and that my files got mixed with another womans (Medicare has the straight files I guess). And that I weigh 200+ now.

MRI is more for soft tissue and can see more depth. CT Scan sees bones and hard substances better. I like to have one of each every year, but the Dr. calls the tests. ultrasounds are like a targeted close up, and mine were for finding how close the tumor was to the blood veins.