Options
phillyboy
phillyboy Member Posts: 23 Member

Comments

• phillyboy
    phillyboy Member Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    dry mouth help during night

Xylimelts gives me dry mouth relief for about 5 hours during night ( one on each side). If not enough saliva to disolve them, swish a little water and that will do the trick. After 5 hours I spray some Biotin dry mouth which takes me to morning. During the day I sip water every 10 to 15 minutes.Very happy with results. Only pray dry mouth and saliva will return after 8 months post radiation. Starting to eat more solids along with drinking two cal liquid and getting my peg tube out next week which I haven't used for 3 weeks. Weight stable. Hope this helps other neck cancer survivors.

• OKCnative
    OKCnative Member Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I use a room cool mist

I use a room cool mist humidifier on my nightstand at night and sleep facing it. I'm an open mouth sleeper so the cool mist keeps me pretty moisturized. 

During the day i use those ACT lozenges you can get at Walmart. I but the larger box of 36 and go through a box or two a week. They keep me from having to carry water everywhere and great to use while working out.

• Billie67
    Billie67 Member Posts: 898
    Options
    I’m 5 years out now and still

I’m 5 years out now and still use Xylamelts a few nights a week. They work amazing!! 

• nancytc
    nancytc Member Posts: 70 Member
    edited April 2018 #5
    Options
    Xlimelts were and are a life

Xlimelts were and are a life saver for me. I was using two tablets one on each side at bedtime, but they would make me cough phlem up in the morning.... although my mouth stayed nice and wet all night. I cut back to just one and it is perfect. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and add a second one. I cant imagine life without them!!! I also read that the Xylitol also protects your oral cavity by keeping a neutral PH balance in your mouth and also prevents bacteria from sticking to your teeth. Another couple crazy good reasons to use them nightly. We all know that our teeth and jaw bone are at a high risk for problems for the rest of our lives.

Nancy

• nancytc
    Options
    Also, I have been doing

Also, I have been doing Accupuncture for my saliva glands weekly for two months and I believe that it is accelerating the healing of my Saliva Glands. Worth a try!!!

Nancy

• Drmsmscott
    Drmsmscott Member Posts: 3
    Options
    nancytc said:

Also, I have been doing

Also, I have been doing Accupuncture for my saliva glands weekly for two months and I believe that it is accelerating the healing of my Saliva Glands. Worth a try!!!

Nancy

Acupuncture

Thanks for the tips Nancy. I’m 5 months post treatment and the dry mouth is tough. I’m interested in your acupuncture treatments. What else can you share with me? How did you find a therapist knowledgeable in your case? I’m a helicopter pilot and hoping to get back to work soon, but nutrition is still a problem for me. Finding a diet I can carry with that I can actually get down is challenging. 

Thx DAVE 

• nancytc
    edited April 2018 #8
    Options
    I looked up the local

I looked up the local accupuncturists in my area and inquired if they had experience in working on the salivary glands. I explained the dry mouth from the radiation. I found one who was familiar and just went for it. I could feel the extra moisture within a day or two. After a month I was adding more items into my diet, so whether or not is was due to natural progression or the accupuncture I cant say, but it isnt just junk science. My insurance even covers part of it!

I lived on Odwalla Soy Protein Drinks as my main stay for a couple months as I was breaking new soft foods in. It is very high protein(32 grams per 12 oz bottle), tastes decent (I like the Vanilla) and silky smooth down the throat. At 5 months post, I was just getting my Peg out so I can relate! You will get better for sure! I toted around a little lunch carrier with my Odwallas, Greek Yogurt, and some fruit. Cantelope goes down really easy. Just keep trying things. I also as my safety net always made sure I had a glass of whole milk by my side each time I was eating something more challenging. When you are up to it, go to buffets where you can just have a dab of this and that. I still dont have a bunch of taste, but it is slowly improving as well. My favorite now is Chinese or japanese food. I can taste salt, so anything that soy sauce can go on is very pleasing too. Good Luck and never give up!!!

• debbiel0
    debbiel0 Member Posts: 134 Member
    Options

Acupuncture

Thanks for the tips Nancy. I’m 5 months post treatment and the dry mouth is tough. I’m interested in your acupuncture treatments. What else can you share with me? How did you find a therapist knowledgeable in your case? I’m a helicopter pilot and hoping to get back to work soon, but nutrition is still a problem for me. Finding a diet I can carry with that I can actually get down is challenging. 

Thx DAVE 

Nutrition ideas..

Nutrition ideas..

I have had sucess with Soylent. Both through my PEG and as a drink. I used it staight up and as as an additive to my coffee or as a base for a protien shake. It is 400 cal for 14 oz.

Hemp hearts added to soups, hot cereals or smoothies adds an additional 170 cal without adding volume. Using coconut milk to make an easy creamy pasta sauce is another of my go to meals 700 cal in 1 1/2 cups.

I have a long list of food allergies so the usual cakes cookies ice cream or cheese are not on my menu. Trying to gain back some of the 60+ lbs I have lost is difficult while still having swallowing issues.

Deb

• lakeman
    lakeman Member Posts: 1
    Options
    during the night

One of the best things I have done is to use a hydration bladder (like hikers use) next to the bed.  I can have the tube easily accessible and I dont have to wake up completely to get a swallow of water.  This made a big difference compared to sitting up enough to get a drink from a glass or bottle of water.

• AnotherSurvivor
    AnotherSurvivor Member Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I use a kit called a blue

I use a kit called a blue desert smart tube that basically converts a nalgene bottle into a rigid bladder.  I like being able to throw my nalgene bottles into the dish washer.  It comes with an adapter that allows me to use it with a conventional throw-away water bottle.  I'm guaranteed to forget to empty my waterbottle when I go thru TSA at the airport.  With this tube setup I just undo the tube and toss the bottle.

• MrsBD
    MrsBD Member Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Acupuncture

When my oncologist suggested acupuncture,  I was very skeptical, but I'm a believer now. I had 18 weeks of acupuncture starting with the first week of radiation and chemo. I have very minor dry mouth symptoms; so minor that my dentist said he couldn't even tell.