How to Drive/Ride in Car with Radiation Burns?

Kim Gaia
Kim Gaia Member Posts: 73

Trying to troubleshoot some problems in advance. Would it be excruciating to sit in a car seat as driver or passenger for a 2-hour ride twice a week while undergoing chemo-radiation treatment for this cancer? Is there any way to make sitting for that length of time more bearable? Some special gel cushion or maybe a super soft down pillow? My treatments will be out of town, requiring a 2-hour drive every Monday morning, and same drive back home for weekend every Friday afternoon. (The cancer lodge I will be staying at away from home closes on the weekends.) Friends have offered to drive me, and there is also a special bus for this. But I would prefer to have the independence of having my own vehicle with me when I am away from home, and it seems to me the problem is the same whether I am a passenger or a driver.

Did some of you find you could ride in a vehicle okay throughout this treatment? Thanks!

kim

Comments

• eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    Kim...

Hi,

As you know, everyone reacts differently so its tough to say how another will feel...but its a pretty sure call that you'll be sore. I usually sat on a fluffy soft pillow with a satin pillow case. I found the silky pillow case made the turn to get in or out of the car so much easier. (Or any chair for that matter) Once situated I was usually ok, but the turn or movement to reposition is what I remember being the most painful. I did not drive myself after a few weeks because I was just too weak and the fatique had really hit me (so best not to be the behind the wheel). Also, I was taking oxycontin on a regular schedule...something to consider if you need as it did really take the edge off, but again, not too cool for driving!

Go with the silky pillowcase though...you'll be glad you did!

katheryn

• Kim Gaia
    eihtak said:

Kim...

Hi,

As you know, everyone reacts differently so its tough to say how another will feel...but its a pretty sure call that you'll be sore. I usually sat on a fluffy soft pillow with a satin pillow case. I found the silky pillow case made the turn to get in or out of the car so much easier. (Or any chair for that matter) Once situated I was usually ok, but the turn or movement to reposition is what I remember being the most painful. I did not drive myself after a few weeks because I was just too weak and the fatique had really hit me (so best not to be the behind the wheel). Also, I was taking oxycontin on a regular schedule...something to consider if you need as it did really take the edge off, but again, not too cool for driving!

Go with the silky pillowcase though...you'll be glad you did!

katheryn

thanks katheryn! good

thanks katheryn! good suggestion.

• Mollymaude
    Mollymaude Member Posts: 431 Member
    Kim

I was on pain meds so I didn't drive but I had to ride for an hour round trip every day. My cancer was on the left side so I sat on right cheek and gritted my teeth. Taking pain meds before the trip helped. When you are the driver you can't shift around as much so it might be more uncomfortable. Good idea about satin pillowcase.

• Kim Gaia
    Thank you Mollymaude. I was

Thank you Mollymaude. I was thinking about that too - how I could shift around more as passenger to get into best position - and take more pain meds if not driving. You guys have both helped me with your suggestions.

kim

• Jane s
    Jane s Member Posts: 77 Member
    Cars, ouch

I had to drive about 45 minutes each way to my radiation appointments.  I drove myself the first few weeks then had to have friends drive me.   I would just sort of sit sideways on the side of my butt , leaning over.  It worked pretty well.   You will find a comfortable position.   I still use my blow up donut pillow,  too. 

• Kim Gaia
    edited April 2018 #7
    Thanks Jane. All of this info

Thanks Jane. All of this info from people is giving me a picture of how to handle this. And I see now I may not be able to drive myself the whole time. Especially If I am trying to lean over to one side to keep pressure off. I am thinking perhaps a big black plastic garbage bag spread over the seat would help give me that slippery satiny effect katheryn said helps. Plus it can do double-duty in case of accident or whatever. Although I won't leave things to chance in that departmebnt, will wear big pad or Teva briefs I guess, if bowel incontinence is likely. But Teva briefs would probably cause some discomfort, compared to boxer shorts...

• Ohmy
    Ohmy Member Posts: 102 Member
    I had a one hour drive each

I had a one hour drive each way from home.  I was unable to drive after the first week due to the chemo sickness.  It was about the fifth week when the radiation burns were painful and I sat on a donut.  My husband dropped me off for treatment each morning and my coworkers took turns driving me home for six weeks!

• Kim Gaia
    thanks for the info, ohmy. :)

thanks for the info, ohmy. :)

• horsepad
    horsepad Member Posts: 146 Member
    I drove myself to chemo and

I drove myself to chemo and radiation.  I sat on a medically designed intertube that helped alot.  I took it anywhere I had to sit.  Sitting was almost unbearable because of severe burns.  At the end of treatment, I couldn't sit but laid in the back of vehicle with pillows and blankets

• Kim Gaia
    horsepad said:

I drove myself to chemo and

I drove myself to chemo and radiation.  I sat on a medically designed intertube that helped alot.  I took it anywhere I had to sit.  Sitting was almost unbearable because of severe burns.  At the end of treatment, I couldn't sit but laid in the back of vehicle with pillows and blankets

Thank you for the info,

Thank you for the info, horsepad.