Boxers

Ginkgo
Ginkgo Member Posts: 13 Member

I made the boxers in my photo.  They have little hearts on them.  I think I am past the "What do people think?" stage and onto "What am I going to do about all these side effects??"  I have the usual symptoms, nothing I did not expect, though my hair is falling out at a rapid rate and I thought it would just "thin."  Guess not. 

I have 13 radiation treatments and one week of chemo remaining, which starts on April 9th.  My chemo doc reduced the mytomicin by 25% so I hope that will help with mouth sores at least.  

I am trying to be mentally strong and one element is laughter, which my husband helps with.  He has to do all cat care and his cat box cleaning mishaps are hilarious. Also his shopping trips.  Read the labels, I say.  Yesterday he brought home high fiber pasta.  Because it was on sale.  It's getting returned.

Comments

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Gingko

I'm glad that your sense of humor is still intact, given your current situation.  You have the right attitude and you'll get through this.  My husband had "scooper duty" with the litter box when I was in treatment too.  He always told me right before he went to do it that he was about to go "dig for gold."  lol!  High fiber pasta?  JUST SAY NO!  Cry  Hang in there, you'll make it across that finish line!

• HeatherApril14
    HeatherApril14 Member Posts: 15
    Love the boxers

I love the boxers, Ginkgo. I am past all my treatment (post treatment scans this week TBD) but I still cling to wearing boxers which I stole out of Hub's drawer.  Hang in there, ask your doctor for magic mouthwash - which I made because insurance didn't cover.  If your doctor prescribes Lidocaine you can buy rest of ingredients at pharmacy (Benedryl, Maalox) and that helped with my second round of chemo.  My husband, too, ended up doing so much during my treatment and few weeks afterwards that during our 34 years of marriage he never did, and we are still having some good laughs about some of this.  The money we saved with me not going into the store helped with me missing work.    I am only now (3 months out of treatment) starting to laugh more about the whole crappy (i.e. poopy) experience and hope it is all behind me.  Stay positive and good luck through the rest of your treatment.  Life gets good again - as you will see by reading how many anal cancer survivors are on this site. 

-Heather, McHenry IL   

• smc0057
    smc0057 Member Posts: 17
    I've been wearing boxers too.

I've been wearing boxers too.  Love yours with the hearts.   LOL on the high fiber pasta! At least he's trying.  My hubby is driving me crazy asking what I feel like eating.  He'll fix anything at all I desire, but he double checks everything with me "just in case."   Laughter definitely helps!  It's hard and there's nothing to help that, but trying to keep a good attitude is HUGE.  Hang in there, you're close.

Sherie - my last treatment is in TWO DAYS!

• Ohmy
    Ohmy Member Posts: 102 Member
    My hair was coming out in

My hair was coming out in clumps and I got tired of finding it all over the house.  I finally told my husband to shave my head and I wore a wig for a few months when I went back to work.  I got a free wig and make over from the American Cancer Society.  One year later, I have long curly hair down to my shoulders.  Everyone thinks I had a perm.  I tell them it's my chemo perm.  I still wear my boxers at home.  I love them.  Life is good.

• tanda
    tanda Member Posts: 174 Member
    Gingko

The boxer shorts are adorable! I think you could go into production with these; they look especially comfortable for summer.  You could sell them online or perhaps to a local boutique.  Are they 100% cotton?

• Mollymaude
    Mollymaude Member Posts: 431 Member
    Ginkgo

Your post made me smile! Thank you! Hang in there and it will be over soon!

• Ginkgo
    tanda said:

Gingko

The boxer shorts are adorable! I think you could go into production with these; they look especially comfortable for summer.  You could sell them online or perhaps to a local boutique.  Are they 100% cotton?

Tanda

Thanks!  The fabric is like seersucker.  I also made a cotton knit pull-on skirt but it's still too cold to wear it!

• Ginkgo
    edited April 2018 #9
    Ohmy said:

My hair was coming out in

My hair was coming out in clumps and I got tired of finding it all over the house.  I finally told my husband to shave my head and I wore a wig for a few months when I went back to work.  I got a free wig and make over from the American Cancer Society.  One year later, I have long curly hair down to my shoulders.  Everyone thinks I had a perm.  I tell them it's my chemo perm.  I still wear my boxers at home.  I love them.  Life is good.

Hair falling out

I was told it would thin, not fall out and not to get a wig (ahead of time).  Like everything else the chemo folks have misled me about (the port is good, no one has all of the side effects - really??) I was unprepared for the chemo nurse to say, shave it and use a lint roller to get rid of the follicles.  I am covering it but have not shaved yet.  I'm thinking maybe cutting it all over to about 1 inch.  Like I said, I am not prepared for THIS side effect at all.  Meanwhile, cranking up the sewing machine to make a chemo hat from some knit fabric.  

• Ohmy
    Ohmy Member Posts: 102 Member
    Agreed everyone is different

Agreed everyone is different so wait and see how it goes.  I cut my hair in a pixie before treatment started.  

• zac495
    zac495 Member Posts: 4
    I cut my hair into a pixie

I cut my hair into a pixie before it fell it, too. (Different cancer). I hated wigs - they itched - so I wore fancy scarves. I had it shaved when it started falling out and wore big, fancy earrings. (I suggest that for women:)

LOVE your boxers.

Ellen

• NotMeNotAC
    NotMeNotAC Member Posts: 2
    Magic Mouthwash

Ginkgo,

Love the boxers.  I just went commando (and stayed close to the bathroom)....Saw your comment about mouth sores.  If your doctor hasn't prescribed Magic Mouthwash, perhaps you could suggest it.  I found it very helpful.  Good Luck!