Options
2»

Comments

• LynnBin
    LynnBin Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Suez39 said:

Thank you everyone!

Thank you for all your comments and input. I will look into a support group in my area and also have my mask altered to make sure the eyes and mouth are open so I can feel less suffocated. I have read about those H&N members also who don't see the mask as bothersome but I too am not that lucky. And the peg tube I know will come in handy as I am having difficulty swallowing now. Did any of you have the peg and find it easy to take care and use? And twostepr I admire your strength & determination to go through this battle Alone twice! You and all the other H&N members here inspire me dig down deep and find my strength to battle this. I will have to experiment with the nutrition drinks to find out which ones I can tolerate to get in me. I can manage alittle soup soft potatoes scrambled eggs etc now. But I know if a week or two that will change. I will be in touch to let you guys know how I made out. I feel very privileged to have found this site where I consider the people here my mentors and friends to help guide me. Hugs and best wishes!

Susan

PEG

Susan:  I was very worried about getting the PEG, but it is a life-saver!  You feed it, take care of the little plastic thingie, and no food anxiety.  I am using Osmolite which is a complete balanced nutrition in a meal size 'can'.  Once you have those cans, you are good to go, for every day.  You will want to keep drinking water, and other liquids, maybe soft foods if they are palatable, but otherwise, you can keep your calories up and avoid losing the weight you need to keep on you to get better when treatment is over!  

Your local church will have a 'hospitatility' group with retirees who would enjoy driving you where you need to go, or just coming in to visit with you.  You don't have to belong to belong!  

Sending you strength.  You can do this.

Lynn

• oceangoer
    oceangoer Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Suez39

DON'T PLEASE DON'T feel embarrassed about wanting or better yet needing adivan or any of the "happy pils" they will help you keep your chin up and weather the storm so to speak. This is a tough battle but once you come out the other end you see that it wasn't that bad. I had lots of complications that made things worse but I made it.

Keep us posted please

Tim

• Suez39
    Suez39 Member Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Oceangoer

Thank you for your response. You made alot of sense to me. Sometimes we need drugs or happy pills to get us through tragic circumstances. I just never took drugs for anything except bronchitis strep etc. Normal sicknesses. You don't take them for months like cancer drugs. Ativan is addicting but thier is nothing you can do. You need it for "your mind" to gwt through radiation. That mask is horrible. I think it's barbaric and they should rethink other options that are more humane. I finishes week 2 of my treatments. Have 5 more to go. Having major issues already with nausea and dehydration. Nurses loaded me up with meds. Hope they work. Dehydration hurting my kidneys. Be ween nausea every day n no appetite very hard for me to drink. I keep trying. Never will give yp. My life means slot to me. Have a good job helping the elderly do I have slot of work to do.

Take care n please post again