Xeloda & TNBC

kefoster26
kefoster26 Member Posts: 7
edited March 2018 in Breast Cancer #1

Hey ya'll,

My name is Katie and I'm 25 years old.  I was diagnosed May 9th, 2017 with Triple Negative Ductal Breast Cancer Stage 2B, Grade 3. I had 11 rounds of Carbo-Taxol Chemo, 3 rounds of Adrimicyn- cytoxin (sp?) "the red devil" chemo and ended up in the hospital 2 out of the 3 times with Neutropenic fever.  I had a full mastectomy on my left breast and 25 radiation treatments. I started Xeloda January 9th, 2018 due to the fact that I did not respond well to chemotherapy and that I was more at risk for reoccurance. I currently take 1500 MG twice a day for 2 weeks on , one week off. for 8 cycles. I have been having awful reactions to my skin on my hands and feet. The doctors say that this is my best bet as in the clinical trial it showed that Xeloda had a great effect on TNBC patients as far as not having reoccurance of the cancer.

Has anyone else been on Xeloda and had TNBC and had a good outcome? 

Thanks in advance!

Katie

Comments

• SLS100
    SLS100 Member Posts: 37
    triple negative

hi.  I am triple negatoive and had local recurrence from last year. in muscle wall and chest wall.  Had 20 round of chemo and lumpectomy. Now having xelod nd mSTECTOMY. I ALSO HAD SIDE EFFECTS FROM XELODA, THEY LOWERED MY DOES TO TWO PILLS IN MORNING AND TWO PILLS AT NIGHT BECAUSE I WAS GETTING TERRIBLE BLISTERS ON THE SOLES OF MY FEET.  I am one week on and one week off now; When i had chemo I had red devil than taxol. the xeloda is much better than the iv was. keep your spirits up, my tumor is very large so theywill do chmo for 6 months mastectomy. take care

• Beepositive
    Beepositive Member Posts: 259 Member
    prayer going up to you both

prayers and hugs to you both

hang in there!!

BEEPOSITIVE

• kefoster26
    SLS100 said:

triple negative

hi.  I am triple negatoive and had local recurrence from last year. in muscle wall and chest wall.  Had 20 round of chemo and lumpectomy. Now having xelod nd mSTECTOMY. I ALSO HAD SIDE EFFECTS FROM XELODA, THEY LOWERED MY DOES TO TWO PILLS IN MORNING AND TWO PILLS AT NIGHT BECAUSE I WAS GETTING TERRIBLE BLISTERS ON THE SOLES OF MY FEET.  I am one week on and one week off now; When i had chemo I had red devil than taxol. the xeloda is much better than the iv was. keep your spirits up, my tumor is very large so theywill do chmo for 6 months mastectomy. take care

I'm so sorry to hear this. 

I'm so sorry to hear this.  Dr.s have talked about lowering dose and actually i even thought about stopping it all together.  As if cancer wasnt bad enough, i also had a pressure ulcer that wouldnt heal. I had to have a wound vac (fart machine) or else there was a possibility of loosing my leg .  Imagine that. 25 and 1 boob and 1 leg. So at the  same time as my mastectomy they did a skin graft to the ulcer.  Well, since i started the Xeloda, my foot has been in bad shape  and painful.  Last dr.s appointment we found that part of the skjn graft had come off. I'm  so beyond irritated!!!  The amountbof pain and crap i went through was CRAZY and hopful that it would all be done with.  Seems likes it bever goimg to be done with. 

Sorry for the rant... so over being possitive all the time! Even the strongest have to gave their down days!

I hope everything goes well for your surgery!

• kefoster26
    Thank you beepositive... i

Thank you beepositive... i try but sometimes, recenyly, its harder to be!  I'll  get through it. I usually do!Undecided

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    ugh the foot and hand syndrome...

I did that.  Oh it is so painful.  I could not wear shoes for a month.  I hobbled every where in slippers.  What helped me was: Luke warm water soaks.  and cream cream cream those puppies..  Mine peeled 3 times.  to add insult to injury the doc recommended a hand cream that worked for me on the feet and hands it is called Udderly Smooth Hand Cream Daily moisture.  It is the cream not the salve.  Cheap too.  The tube is white with black cow markings on it and the words are backdropped in red.    You can get this at most local dollar stores or Walmart type stores. 

Hugs,

Annie

• kefoster26
    edited April 2018 #7
    I have tried all sorts of

I have tried all sorts of lotions, and creams.  I load on the aquaphore on my hands and feet at bedtime and wear gloves or socks to hold moisture in.  When i wake up its like i never even put lotion on to begin with.  My thumbs get the worse of it.  They crack and peel like crazy! When they get really bad i apply bacitracin and bandaids.  That seems to help the most! 

I went to meet with doctor yesterday to check blood levels before the start of my next cycle.  She wants me to wait a week in order to allow sores on foot to heal and open ares on hands also.  Also, she reduced my dose of Xeloda to 2 pills twice a day for 2 weeks on, 1 week off.  

Key point she made was "she wants to push me enough so she feels as shes dome everything the possibly can but not push me over the edge. " I appreciate that! 

Im SO sick of going through this crap!!! Im crossing my fingers and toes that it works!

• SLS100
    SLS100 Member Posts: 37
    xeloda, udderley smooth

I have tnbc, local recurrence from last year.  At first the xeloda worked for me, but after 3 cycles it stopped working, I was getting bad foot blisters so we lowered the dose to two pills  in morning and two pills at night, one week on and  one week off.  I am now starting immuneotherapy to see if it can fix what the xeloda left.  I also used udderley smooth on my feet. I also developed a lump from the tumor that oozes, so now use udderley smooth on that to keep it from itching.  Am praying the immuneotherapy works, a clinical trial.  Best wishes.

• Lovis
    Lovis Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2019 #9
    SLS100 said:

xeloda, udderley smooth

I have tnbc, local recurrence from last year.  At first the xeloda worked for me, but after 3 cycles it stopped working, I was getting bad foot blisters so we lowered the dose to two pills  in morning and two pills at night, one week on and  one week off.  I am now starting immuneotherapy to see if it can fix what the xeloda left.  I also used udderley smooth on my feet. I also developed a lump from the tumor that oozes, so now use udderley smooth on that to keep it from itching.  Am praying the immuneotherapy works, a clinical trial.  Best wishes.

Question

SLS100

i am Dx with TNBC and had residual disease.  I am on xeloda for 8 cycles.  I had enlarged lymph nodes that wer in my mammary nodes and chest after lumpectomy so my radiation oncologist radiated them

i am now getting xeloda and did you finish xeloda and what trial are applying for and did you get carboplatin