Nausea during radiation! Help!

Options

My mom has had 7 radiation treatments out of 30. She is getting weak day by day and is losing her mental strength. Constant vomiting is just making it worse. Our radio onco says it has nothing to do with radiation. All tests results are negavtive. Did someone else suffer something like this ? Please help!

Comments

• OKCnative
    OKCnative Member Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Is it nausea causing the

Is it nausea causing the vomiting? If so, there are many different types of anti-nausea drugs she can try. People react differently to most of them.

Does she have access to medical or regulated recreational marijuana (legally or otherwise)? I never threw-up once during the same treatment and I credit the THC (marijuana) I bought in a neighboring state. I couldn't eat the edibles most of the time, but used the cream and patches. Worked incredibly well with no side effects or addiction issues.

• Jbrooks
    Jbrooks Member Posts: 43
    Options
    I agree with OKnative... Lots

I agree with OKnative... Lots of meds for nausea out there.  I had nausea after radiation and slight nausea during.  Anti nausea meds helped me then *poof* it went away...  no more nausea. Hope yours disappears quickly but in the meantime, please try anti nausea medication or the THC.  No sense in being miserable!

• hlrowe
    hlrowe Member Posts: 80
    Options
    Is she getting chemo too?

Normally, and it was true in my case, there is no nausea associated with radiation. Now chemo OTOH.....

• Aanchal Kanodia
    Aanchal Kanodia Member Posts: 20
    Options
    we have tried different kinds

we have tried different kinds of anti nausea drugs, so far nothing has helped much. I don't think regulated marjuana is available here. Could you please elaborate on the THC drug? Is it cannibis oil of some sorts ? 

• OKCnative
    OKCnative Member Posts: 326 Member
    edited March 2018 #6
    Options

we have tried different kinds

we have tried different kinds of anti nausea drugs, so far nothing has helped much. I don't think regulated marjuana is available here. Could you please elaborate on the THC drug? Is it cannibis oil of some sorts ? 

I used regulated recreational

I used regulated recreational THC (marijuana). I bought it in a state that has legalized it's use. I was using it illegally, but I didn't/don't care. Naturally I couldn't smoke it with my throat cancer, so I used patches, creams and some edibles (when I could swallow). It was amazing for anxiety and nausea and had zero side effects and no fear of addiction.

• nancytc
    nancytc Member Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Does your mom have a Peg Tube

Does your mom have a Peg Tube? Mine made me very nauseous most of the time I had it. It is an unnatural way for food to enter the stomach and if the positioning is off it can cause alot of nausea and vomiting. It is different for everyone. The day my peg came out, I was never nauseous  and never vomited again. Although I do credit it for saving my life as I was not able to swallow for several months.

• rrmartins71
    rrmartins71 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    I had the exact same thing.

I had the exact same thing. Constant vomiting for 4 weeks (until end of treatment). No drug would make it stop. I vomited 10 times a day (only gastric juice). The chemo doctor blamed radiation and the radiation dcotor blamed chemo. It turned out, it was the pain killer patch I was wearing. The minute I removed it, the vomiting stoped.

• Aanchal Kanodia
    Aanchal Kanodia Member Posts: 20
    Options
    nancytc said:

Does your mom have a Peg Tube

Does your mom have a Peg Tube? Mine made me very nauseous most of the time I had it. It is an unnatural way for food to enter the stomach and if the positioning is off it can cause alot of nausea and vomiting. It is different for everyone. The day my peg came out, I was never nauseous  and never vomited again. Although I do credit it for saving my life as I was not able to swallow for several months.

No Peg tube for her yet. We

No Peg tube for her yet. We refuses it totally

• Dean54
    Dean54 Member Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    What worked for me

I don't think anybody has mentioned it but the scopolamine patch that you put behing you ear worked wonders for my nausea, but mine was from the chemo. Didn't seem to have that problem from the radiation.