DREs

Options
adkspinner
adkspinner Member Posts: 4

I am newly diagnosed. My initial DRE and anoscopy was performed in the ER and was excruciating. I have a pretty high tolerance to pain so excruciating is accurate. My biopsies were done under general anesthesia. The tumor is 5.5cm. I had my radiology consult and simulation yesterday along with another DRE. Has anyone received sedation for these exams during the first weeks of treatment? I’m hoping as the tumor gets smaller the pain will be less? Have you taken pain meds before an exam?

Comments

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    adkspinner

I'm sorry a diagnosis of anal cancer has brought you here.  As for DRE's, mine have never been painful, uncomfortable is a better way to describe them.  I've never been sedated for DRE or anoscopy and have never had to take pain meds for those exams.  As for your pain level, keep in mind that radiation will damage the tissue at the same time it is shrinking the tumor, so hoping for less pain as you go through treatment is, unfortunately, not usually how it goes--at least it didn't for me.  With that said, the treatment is for 6 weeks at the most and totally doable.  So many of us here have gone through it and are living lives that are normal, with the exception of the occasional hiccup, if you will.  You will get through this and the folks on this site can help you do that if you'll just let us know what questions you have and how we can help you.  I wish you all the very best as you begin this journey.

• Jane s
    Jane s Member Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Sedation

I had an unsedated sigmoidoscopy and  anoscopy prior to my treatment and they were both incredibly painful .  Post treatment,  all my exams have been under sedation,  and I'm wiped out for days afterwards.   Other people say their post treatment exams are not sedated and they aren't painful.  I think it just depends.  I'm sure if you talk to your doctors and make it clear how much pain you are in they will be happy do do whatever is necessary to make you comfortable.  They don't want you in pain if it's avoidable.  Take whatever pain meds you need to get through this.  It's a tender area!  Good luck!   Wishing you well.

Jane 

• tanda
    tanda Member Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    adkspinner

My memory is fading, but I think my first DRE and anoscopy was almost 3 months after the end of treatment.  None of my follow-up exams have been under anaesthesia and none have been painful. Everyone is different and I think you should make your concerns known  to your physicians.

• Mollymaude
    Mollymaude Member Posts: 431 Member
    edited March 2018 #5
    Options
    Anoscope

All of my scopes have been under sedation. In my region it seems standard to sedate. I'm happy with that, put me out and let me know when it's over.

• tanda
    tanda Member Posts: 174 Member
    Options

Anoscope

All of my scopes have been under sedation. In my region it seems standard to sedate. I'm happy with that, put me out and let me know when it's over.

Anoscopy

MollyMaude.

Have you been having HRA(high resolution anoscopy)  Those are often done under sedation as they are more complicated than a "regular" anoscope which is almost like an otiscope that looks in your ears.

are you also sedated for a DRE?

• Mollymaude
    Mollymaude Member Posts: 431 Member
    edited March 2018 #7
    Options
    Tanda

ive been just getting regular anoscopes. No sedation for DREs.