Anyone have Ensure issues?

Options
Curlyn
Curlyn Member Posts: 189

This is my 2nd try to post so if the other shows up, I will delete one. I had been feeling good but trying to gain some muscle back, so in addition to my 3 qts of milk per week I added 4-5 Ensure (original or high pro) to my diet. I know Ensure has 25%/bottle of daily b12 requirement but I am thinking the synthetic vitamins, along c my healing gut/ GI system was maybe too much. I developed blinding headache, thirsty, blurry vision,dizziness ( woke up on floor 2 days ago c dogs licking my face! Eek!). So went to doctor who ordered lots of bloodwork. My B12 came back high so will see her in another week. Anyway, back to normal food and though not gaining wt, I am slowly feeling better. Haven't taken Ensure, tylenol or ibuprofen in 2 days. It's been 7.5 mths since surgery and approx 17 wk since chemorad. This definitely set me back a week. Any thoughts? Wondering about the safety of these manufactured drinks and all the processing. (Remember, I was eating , which can be slow still, plus drinking 4-5 Ensure per day). Thanks everyone.

Comments

• MikefromWinthrop
    MikefromWinthrop Member Posts: 31
    Options
    Ensure issues

The only issues I had with it is it tasted like crap and fat calories are way too high. I stopped using it and now use body building drinks, mixed from powder , which are way more effective, much better health wise and taste great. =)

• Curlyn
    Options

Ensure issues

The only issues I had with it is it tasted like crap and fat calories are way too high. I stopped using it and now use body building drinks, mixed from powder , which are way more effective, much better health wise and taste great. =)

Thanks. My sister and husband

Thanks. My sister and husband suggested that as a better route, too.In the long run probably cheaper.

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    I have lots and lots of ISSUES!

Curlyn,

I don’t think any of the Ensure drinks used reasonably are bad or harmful, there are a handful of do-gooder’s who will disagree (cheers).

I drank a lot of smoothies doctored up with fruit, nuts, bananas, protein powder, vegetable oil, yes vegetable oil and chocolate, vanilla and strawberry flavors.  These were very good and I drank them for 7 months.  I continued to sample normal people food and eventually retired the blender.

It did sound like your symptoms were leaning toward too much and you should count your lucky stars that Doctor Doggy saved your life.

There are a lot of natural things which go to the same school of mess with your life as synthetics.  Be reasonable and you will be fine.

“EATING IS SLOW”  is a mantra I have on the wall of our dining room wall. Don’t be swayed by the H&N Heros who go on to Hot Dog Eating Contests and Spitting Competitions, most of us will be hanging with you at the table (and quite satisfied).

Good luck moving forward.

Matt

• Curlyn
    Options
    CivilMatt said:

I have lots and lots of ISSUES!

Curlyn,

I don’t think any of the Ensure drinks used reasonably are bad or harmful, there are a handful of do-gooder’s who will disagree (cheers).

I drank a lot of smoothies doctored up with fruit, nuts, bananas, protein powder, vegetable oil, yes vegetable oil and chocolate, vanilla and strawberry flavors.  These were very good and I drank them for 7 months.  I continued to sample normal people food and eventually retired the blender.

It did sound like your symptoms were leaning toward too much and you should count your lucky stars that Doctor Doggy saved your life.

There are a lot of natural things which go to the same school of mess with your life as synthetics.  Be reasonable and you will be fine.

“EATING IS SLOW”  is a mantra I have on the wall of our dining room wall. Don’t be swayed by the H&N Heros who go on to Hot Dog Eating Contests and Spitting Competitions, most of us will be hanging with you at the table (and quite satisfied).

Good luck moving forward.

Matt

Thanks Matt. I was doing so

Thanks Matt. I was doing so well. Thought it would help put extra wt on. I probably drank too much ( like a glutton). Slow and easy wins the race.

• MikefromWinthrop
    MikefromWinthrop Member Posts: 31
    Options
    Curlyn said:

Thanks Matt. I was doing so

Thanks Matt. I was doing so well. Thought it would help put extra wt on. I probably drank too much ( like a glutton). Slow and easy wins the race.

GNC sells a product called bulk 1340, mixed with water, it is 1340 per serving, use almond milk, it is 1460 xcalories, use half a serving, it is 730. I use it, gaining back 13 pounds since the new year, showed the info to my doctor, he approves, 30 calories from fat, 177 grams of carbs, almost all non sugar, and 50 grams of protein, plus complete vitamin, mineral and amino acid.

• Dean54
    Dean54 Member Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Curlyn, like you I also have

Curlyn, like you I also have a hard time consuming enough calories especially now since I am hitting the weights pretty hard and doing the stairmaster often but like Mike said, the 1340 GNC stuff helps some and also still drinking the Liquid Hope, (good stuff) and 450 per pouch. Not sure what I will do when it runs out as the ins. co. has been paying for it and it's expensive.

I am also drinking Ensures and have noticed that at times, I feel rather crappy after consuming several in a row and I just wonder if it's all the sugar? I believe there is 20 grams per container so that can add up fairly quickly. But even before the cancer days when I would come home after lifting and would make a drink from some commercial protein powders that later I would feel rather bad that I attributed to the powder for some reason even tho it didn't have a lot of sugar, maybe it's one of the chemicals in it? The list of ingredients is a mile long.

I am now trying to at least eat something of significance daily usually some soup even tho nothing really agrees with me but have to keep trying as the ins. co. subsidy will be ending soon and getting at least 3000+ calories a day will be daunting to say the least.

I think when I run out of the drinks I will concentrate on eggs, soup, and like Matt suggested, smoothie blender stuff. Hope you are doing better friend.

• Curlyn
    edited March 2018 #8
    Options

GNC sells a product called bulk 1340, mixed with water, it is 1340 per serving, use almond milk, it is 1460 xcalories, use half a serving, it is 730. I use it, gaining back 13 pounds since the new year, showed the info to my doctor, he approves, 30 calories from fat, 177 grams of carbs, almost all non sugar, and 50 grams of protein, plus complete vitamin, mineral and amino acid.

Thanks Mike. It would be a

Thanks Mike. It would be a better alternative to Ensure. I just want to gain some wt back.

• Curlyn
    Options
    Thanks dean. My swallowing

Thanks dean. My swallowing has improved a lot but like you say, 3000 cal per day is a lot to consider. I might try the GNC even just as supplement. Glad you are back at the gym!

• Dean54
    Dean54 Member Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Actually Im still working out at home

Just got my tube out last Tuesday and haven't made it in there yet but have quite a bit of equipment at home and have been working out pretty much all along this journey. Have gotten almost all my strength back even if I don't weigh as much. Muscles are almost there with over 3" off the waist so that's good

I'm quite a bit self conscious of the way my neck looks now and don't really want to answer a bunch of questions. That's partly why I haven't went back yet even tho I need to just do it or I won't make any more gains.

• Curlyn
    Options
    Dean54 said:

Actually Im still working out at home

Just got my tube out last Tuesday and haven't made it in there yet but have quite a bit of equipment at home and have been working out pretty much all along this journey. Have gotten almost all my strength back even if I don't weigh as much. Muscles are almost there with over 3" off the waist so that's good

I'm quite a bit self conscious of the way my neck looks now and don't really want to answer a bunch of questions. That's partly why I haven't went back yet even tho I need to just do it or I won't make any more gains.

Being a woman, I especially

Being a woman, I especially know how you feel about your neck but it will take a while for the initial swelling to subside. It really does help to see your friends. I got a lot of hugs when I got back to life and it really helped.

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    Curlyn said:

Being a woman, I especially

Being a woman, I especially know how you feel about your neck but it will take a while for the initial swelling to subside. It really does help to see your friends. I got a lot of hugs when I got back to life and it really helped.

Being a Woman, Oh Man, there is much to learn.

Dean54/Curlyn,

My “new neck” looks to be 20-years older than my (much nicer) ‘former neck”.  I have mentioned on here I used to guess at someone’s age by the appearance of their neck.  Not anymore, I just guess young, period.

I complain (quietly) about it, but there is nothing to do, but adjust.  If I look in the mirror and swallow, I try to remember to not do that in front of others.

I am very grateful for the success’s I have had after traveling the H&N Brick Road.  There are some things I miss; like whistling. I used to be happy with the sounds coming from my mouth, now at maybe 20% of former self, I am disappointed, but I haven’t given up.  My neck will have to get by on its own, the whistle I am still working on.

Matt

• phillyboy
    phillyboy Member Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Have you tried 2cal-hn? I

Have you tried 2cal-hn? I have been on it for 9 months and am pleased with results. I still use peg tube and trying hard to get off it. Am drinking 2 cans /day, 2 cans in peg tube and eating as much solid foods as I can but not enough. Am able to swallow moist foods. Can't wait for peg tube out. You may want to add a little cream soda to ensure or 2cal.

• Chicklette
    Chicklette Member Posts: 225
    Options

Ensure issues

I like the taste

Maybe I'm just weird, but I actually like Ensure.  My husband never drank his so I ended up drinking it and now buy it on a regular basis to keep my own weight up.  (I'm was the caregiver and just happen to be skinny).