Scar tissue?

Options
Scubajoe
Scubajoe Member Posts: 39 Member
edited March 2018 in Anal Cancer #1

So I am three months out from my radiation treatment.  After the first digit test he felt a little residual abnormality same area but much decreased in height.  Second digit test it went down even more but not where he wanted it to be yet.  Today I had the three month test and it is not bigger but not smaller.  He did not seem overly concerned but I have a scope and possibly biopsy on Thursday.  I am hoping it's just scar tissue remaining and I am keeping positive thoughts but better safe than sorry.  I assume scar tissue is fairly common after radiation?

Thanks

Joe

Comments

• eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Joe...

Congratulations on 3 months into recovery mode! In my opinion, this stage comes with a host of unexpected and often barely discussed (by our doctors) challenges. I suppose their focus is to treat and then move on. It sounds like you are being followed responsibly and keeping the right attitude. I have always felt like while the physical test results may read NED, the emotional effects and anxiety over recurrance is impossible to completely remove. It does however lessen and in time takes a more comfortable place on a back shelf in our head as we move forward.

Yes, scar tissue is not just fairly common but would be quite rare to not be there. In time it will likely decrease, but the remaining stenosis or residual scarring often becomes a sort of "new normal" for many. Much healing happens over the course of a year, so be patient, and in a few months you'll look back and see how far you've come I'm sure! I also agree with "better safe than sorry" ... know that you'll be in my thoughts that there is nothing to be sorry about!

katheryn

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Joe

Scar tissue is very common after this treatment.  I hope that the biopsy will show that that's all that is there.  Please keep us posted!

• Scubajoe
    Options
    eihtak said:

Joe...

Congratulations on 3 months into recovery mode! In my opinion, this stage comes with a host of unexpected and often barely discussed (by our doctors) challenges. I suppose their focus is to treat and then move on. It sounds like you are being followed responsibly and keeping the right attitude. I have always felt like while the physical test results may read NED, the emotional effects and anxiety over recurrance is impossible to completely remove. It does however lessen and in time takes a more comfortable place on a back shelf in our head as we move forward.

Yes, scar tissue is not just fairly common but would be quite rare to not be there. In time it will likely decrease, but the remaining stenosis or residual scarring often becomes a sort of "new normal" for many. Much healing happens over the course of a year, so be patient, and in a few months you'll look back and see how far you've come I'm sure! I also agree with "better safe than sorry" ... know that you'll be in my thoughts that there is nothing to be sorry about!

katheryn

Thank you for your response. 

Thank you for your response.  I know I should not be anxious but it's hard not to be or not to thinkk about it.  I walked a lot right after the radiation (2.7 mile walks around the lake), since then I have ridden 20 miles on my bike, hit the gym, done yoga, played tennis and taught SCUBA.  I am telling myself that all this movement makes scar tissue very likely as well.  I went through the whole treatment without missing a day except one day when the equipment was down for repair.  Anyway, I appreciate your reassuring reponse.  I will let you know what I hear when I get the biopsy then the results.

Joe

• Scubajoe
    Options
    mp327 said:

Joe

Scar tissue is very common after this treatment.  I hope that the biopsy will show that that's all that is there.  Please keep us posted!

Thank you.  I will definitely

Thank you.  I will definitely let you know what I hear after the biopsy results.

Joe

• pacificnw
    pacificnw Member Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi Joe, I am 9-10 weeks out

Hi Joe, I am 9-10 weeks out from end of treatment. My biggest concern is scar tissue so I was drawn to your post. I feel like this site provides more information than any doctors I am seeing.  I had a DRE at 5 1/2 weeks and the dr. scheduled me for a biopsy, which I had Thursday @ 8 wks. I am still waiting for the results. She did say, after the procedure, I had the most extensive tearing and scarring she had ever seen. (She was young:). She prescribed stool softner and a laxative for 4 days. My stool is very narrow, and I feel pressure "down there" which is bothersome. It would be nice to know if the scarring will get worse, or is this as bad as it gets. Does any of it go away on it's own? Is there anything I can do, like diet or excercise that will help. I wonder with all the scarring, how they get a clear result. Anyway, thanks for sharing, it helps being reminded there are other people out there on the same journey.

• Scubajoe
    Options
    pacificnw said:

Hi Joe, I am 9-10 weeks out

Hi Joe, I am 9-10 weeks out from end of treatment. My biggest concern is scar tissue so I was drawn to your post. I feel like this site provides more information than any doctors I am seeing.  I had a DRE at 5 1/2 weeks and the dr. scheduled me for a biopsy, which I had Thursday @ 8 wks. I am still waiting for the results. She did say, after the procedure, I had the most extensive tearing and scarring she had ever seen. (She was young:). She prescribed stool softner and a laxative for 4 days. My stool is very narrow, and I feel pressure "down there" which is bothersome. It would be nice to know if the scarring will get worse, or is this as bad as it gets. Does any of it go away on it's own? Is there anything I can do, like diet or excercise that will help. I wonder with all the scarring, how they get a clear result. Anyway, thanks for sharing, it helps being reminded there are other people out there on the same journey.

Please keep me posted as well

Please keep me posted as well on your results.  I am praying for good results for you.  I did a lot of activity after my treatment (I cannot sit still) so I am hoping that scar tissue is what the doctor is feeling on his DRE.  I have narrow stools as well.  My first one is less narrow and round compared to flat and that's because of the psylium husk I take.  Yes it is nice to know others are in the same boat.

Joe

• Wisteria83
    Wisteria83 Member Posts: 160
    edited April 2018 #8
    Options
    Joe

I wish I had your energy!  good for you...you are the exception I believe.

• Mollymaude
    Mollymaude Member Posts: 431 Member
    edited April 2018 #9
    Options
    Pacific nw

I know what you are talking about. I have skinny stools that look like they came out of a play dough machine because they aren't round, more squarish, with edges from having to go past scar tissue. It stabilizes after a point and doesn't get worse. If you go to pelvic PT they will put their finger in there and try to break up scar tissue but it was painful and invasive so I dropped out. Most of my stools are so soft that they arent painful but I'm sure if they were more formed it would be uncomfortable.

• Ohmy
    Ohmy Member Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I saw my radiologist

I saw my radiologist oncologist today for my one year anniversary PET scan results.  He says I am NED....BUT....one of my treated lymph nodes is slightly larger than last time.  No metabolic activity.  It didn't light up....But he wants me to have a sonogram to be sure.  He thinks it's just fluid in the lymph nodes.  I drink Metamucil everyday and that really helps my bowel movements.  This is the new normal.  I told my husband I am living under a microscope but it's better than not living. Joe, I was told the radiation keeps working for six months after treatment so hang in there.  Katheryn, thank you as always for your word of wisdom.