Headaches after Oral cancer treatment

Options

Hi,

My brother has been treated for oral cancer using surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy.  He has had a rough time of it for sure.  His treatments ended about six months ago, but he is experiencing headaches that do not seem to respond to drugs or anything else.  Is there any wisdom from members on how to help him manage such terrible headaches?

Comments

• Curlyn
    Curlyn Member Posts: 189
    Options
    Hi flyboyslc1, could it be

Hi flyboyslc1, could it be muscle spasm along c some fibrosis and stiffness from radiation? Did he go for physio ( it isn't too late to start)? Does he do exercises for jaw to ward off trismus? Massages? When were his eyes last checked (chemo can do a number on them)? Lastly, when was his last bloodwork, and how is his nutrition? I am assuming that his last PET scan was clear. 

• flyboyslc1
    flyboyslc1 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Curlyn said:

Hi flyboyslc1, could it be

Hi flyboyslc1, could it be muscle spasm along c some fibrosis and stiffness from radiation? Did he go for physio ( it isn't too late to start)? Does he do exercises for jaw to ward off trismus? Massages? When were his eyes last checked (chemo can do a number on them)? Lastly, when was his last bloodwork, and how is his nutrition? I am assuming that his last PET scan was clear. 

thannk you for the reply

Thanks Curlyn,  I will try to answer what i can.  I do not know about muscle spasm.  I do know that it is difficult for him to move his jaw.  He has been going to Physio therapy for jaw movement problems. 

When you say massage, can you be more specific?  Is this done by himself or a massage therapist?  He has a really good ENT doctor taking care of him so i think they are monitoring blood numbers.  As far as we all know, his imaging shows no cancer.  Are you thinking that poor eyesight could cause the headaches?  He has been on feeding tube or port or something like that for a very long time.  Unable to eat due to surgery removing all teeth.  He had cancer in the roof of his mouth.

• Curlyn
    Options

thannk you for the reply

Thanks Curlyn,  I will try to answer what i can.  I do not know about muscle spasm.  I do know that it is difficult for him to move his jaw.  He has been going to Physio therapy for jaw movement problems. 

When you say massage, can you be more specific?  Is this done by himself or a massage therapist?  He has a really good ENT doctor taking care of him so i think they are monitoring blood numbers.  As far as we all know, his imaging shows no cancer.  Are you thinking that poor eyesight could cause the headaches?  He has been on feeding tube or port or something like that for a very long time.  Unable to eat due to surgery removing all teeth.  He had cancer in the roof of his mouth.

Hi, Sounds like he is

Hi, Sounds like he is monitored closely. Has he tried Lyrica? You can take it as needed (as opposed to regularly), doc can write prescription.The spasms in my jaw from radiation can certainly give me the worst headaches. As well, the muscle tension that I carry in my shoulders can do the same. You might be able to find a massage therapist familiar c H&N that can help you (maybe your physio could refer you). I use Therabite for my jaw to keep it loose and high functioning. If he had a neck dissection in addition to everything else, things can feel worse.I definitely try to stay on top of it and find stretching exercises useful, as well. Hopefully, this might give you an idea of what could possibly be going on. Nothing worse than not getting help for chronic pain, it can break you. 

• flyboyslc1
    Options
    Curlyn said:

Hi, Sounds like he is

Hi, Sounds like he is monitored closely. Has he tried Lyrica? You can take it as needed (as opposed to regularly), doc can write prescription.The spasms in my jaw from radiation can certainly give me the worst headaches. As well, the muscle tension that I carry in my shoulders can do the same. You might be able to find a massage therapist familiar c H&N that can help you (maybe your physio could refer you). I use Therabite for my jaw to keep it loose and high functioning. If he had a neck dissection in addition to everything else, things can feel worse.I definitely try to stay on top of it and find stretching exercises useful, as well. Hopefully, this might give you an idea of what could possibly be going on. Nothing worse than not getting help for chronic pain, it can break you. 

thank you Curlyn

I will ask him about Lyrica and Therabite.  Not familiar with either one myslef so will google them and learn more.  Yes i worry about him constantly in pain.  He cannot sleep well.  Thank you so much!  steve

• Curlyn
    Options

thank you Curlyn

I will ask him about Lyrica and Therabite.  Not familiar with either one myslef so will google them and learn more.  Yes i worry about him constantly in pain.  He cannot sleep well.  Thank you so much!  steve

They might do a vit B12 check

They might do a vit B12 check if he has been on tube feeds. He should be able to handle but if his liver or kidneys stressed maybe not.

• flyboyslc1
    Options
    thanks again

Thanks Curlyn,  I talked to him last night and told him about Lyrica and the oral device for physical therapy.  He said he had not tried Lyrica but will discuss with his doctor.  I will mention the B12 nex time i talk to him.   steve