Reconstruction - How do I know what size to go?!?

This is my first question here and I'm afraid people might think I'm crazy, but here goes anyway. I had a double mastectomy on January 24, 2018. Expanders were put in at the time of surgery and have been filled a few times. Before surgery I was barely an A. I already look bigger than I was before all of this, and it's a little disconcerting. I almost feel like I should tell the plastic surgeon that I'm done and we can do the permanent implants now. But another part of me is thinking "now is your chance!" I'm worried about regretting not going a little bigger. And I'm worried about going too big. I'm athletic, and I swim competitively. I like the look of an athletic body with small-ish breasts. But my former breasts weren't awesome (small, and breastfed 2 kids!) Any advice?? My PS keeps asking "well, how big do you want to be?" and I don't know what to say. Any advice from someone who's been through it already?

Comments

• jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Implant Size

I think the 1st thing you do in determining your implant size is tell your plastic surgeon exactly what you have said in your post. Communication is key. Your doctor needs to understand what your surgical goals may be. #2. Ask to see your doctor's photo gallery.  Discuss your thoughts on the results. #3. Bring in photos of women whose physique match the physique you want to achieve. You can get these from magazines or off the internet.  #4. Ask your doctor if he/She has a computer program in 3D  that helps determine breast implant appearance and size. 

I hope I have given you some things to think about. Remember YOU get to choose what suits you best.

IRENE 

• Beepositive
    Beepositive Member Posts: 259 Member
    edited February 2018 #3

Hello swimmergirl , yes as Jessiesmom1 stated about talk to your plastic Surgeon about what you are looking for in size.

also if you had chemo and or Radiation they normally have to wait months before implants are done to give body time to heal. I had expander placed  same time as  left breast removal and did had a couple of fills done before the radiation treatments..but the plastic Surgeon said he needed to wait min of at least 6 months before he can do implants due to radiation and need time to heal.

Good Luck with everything...prayer and blessing to you!

BEEPOSITIVE

• swimmergirl
    swimmergirl Member Posts: 3
    Thanks you guys. My plastic

Thanks you guys. My plastic surgeon is so great (telling me it's all up to me, I'm the one who has to live with this, etc.) but I wish she'd give me a little guidance. I did just look up "images of reconstruction after mastectomy" and I found a woman I'd love to look like :) I'll bring that with me and maybe as the PS for more images.