Anastrozole, no side effects?

Options
Joany57
Joany57 Member Posts: 20

Hi everyone. I had a mastectomy this past September, 2017. I'm in my 4th month of taking Anastrozole and have no side effects. (yet) I've read the messages of many of you who've had very serious side effects from these types of medications. Did y'all have side effects right away or did the side effect start as it built up in your system over time? I'm so sorry for all of you who are suffering from these medications. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Comments

• 1surfermom
    1surfermom Member Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I'm happy for both of you

Smile

Unfortunatley I have been having a terrible time with Letrazole. My hair has thinned considerably. I have gained weight. I can handle the hot flashes. The worst for me is the mood swings. I am a different person, and I don't like it. It has been so bad that I have damaged the  relationships with my children and my husband. I am basically very hard to live with. Sorry for the rant but I think it's important to share.

Love Surf

• booksandnumbers
    booksandnumbers Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Few side effects

I have been taking arimidex for over a year now. Like you I had no side effects in the beginning. They gradually appeared. Thank goodness nothing as major as some of the women on this site. Just some muscle aches and hot flashes. The hotflashes are minimal now since I have been put on lexapro. All of this doesn't mean you will have terrible side effects. Wishing you all the best.

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    We are different..

Arimdex caused major damage on me.  I had to go to Tomoxifen.  Don't be afraid to tell your doc for a different med if your having problems.  For me, the time spent on Arimdex caused some major damage to my body, osteoarthritis that is not reversable and broken disc in my back.  Cancer is a ****.

Hugs,

Annie

• Teach76
    Teach76 Member Posts: 351 Member
    Options

I'm happy for both of you

Smile

Unfortunatley I have been having a terrible time with Letrazole. My hair has thinned considerably. I have gained weight. I can handle the hot flashes. The worst for me is the mood swings. I am a different person, and I don't like it. It has been so bad that I have damaged the  relationships with my children and my husband. I am basically very hard to live with. Sorry for the rant but I think it's important to share.

Love Surf

Anxiety/depression

Hi, Surf

Like you, I did not like the person I often became.  After some online research, I found that Letrozole lowers seratonin levels.  when I spoke to my PCP, she suggested I ask surgeon or onco if I could stop the medication.  Only 1 year into a probable 10 year plan, I already knew the answer.  To combat the anxiety I am now taking Lexapro - lowest dose.  I do feel it makes a difference.  It may be worth a conversation.

blessings!

Kathy

• 1surfermom
    1surfermom Member Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Teach76 said:

Anxiety/depression

Hi, Surf

Like you, I did not like the person I often became.  After some online research, I found that Letrozole lowers seratonin levels.  when I spoke to my PCP, she suggested I ask surgeon or onco if I could stop the medication.  Only 1 year into a probable 10 year plan, I already knew the answer.  To combat the anxiety I am now taking Lexapro - lowest dose.  I do feel it makes a difference.  It may be worth a conversation.

blessings!

Kathy

Thank you

Thanks Kathy,

I have an appointment with my Onco next week. I'm going to bring this up.

Love Surf

• Joany57
    Joany57 Member Posts: 20
    Options

Few side effects

I have been taking arimidex for over a year now. Like you I had no side effects in the beginning. They gradually appeared. Thank goodness nothing as major as some of the women on this site. Just some muscle aches and hot flashes. The hotflashes are minimal now since I have been put on lexapro. All of this doesn't mean you will have terrible side effects. Wishing you all the best.

Anastrozole cummulative effects

Thanks. That is what I was wondering about. If the side effects came on quick or as the med built up in your system. I am grateful for now and will hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. I'm happy to hear that you're doing fairly well on the medication. 

• Deanie0916
    Deanie0916 Member Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Hi I've been on anastrazole

For about 8 years. I get to finish in June for good I hope. Hot flashes some pain in my hands in the last year. I've not had severe side effects I've heard about, but will be glad to get off of it!

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    edited February 2018 #9
    Options

Hi I've been on anastrazole

For about 8 years. I get to finish in June for good I hope. Hot flashes some pain in my hands in the last year. I've not had severe side effects I've heard about, but will be glad to get off of it!

Wonderful!

Deanie, this is awesome. Congratulations you made it through! I wish you continued success.

Hugs,

Annie