Surgery ==Monday

Options
CarlosRosado
CarlosRosado Member Posts: 88 Member

Well, my sugery will be monday and I have had  some ups and downs.  Today I felt, physically, great..even I played soccer for 2 hour .  The problem starts when I have time to think....What's going to happen next monday ??

My tumor is 5.1 cms and I have ZERO symptons. It was discovery by accident . All my analisys came back great and my doctor told me that looks that the tumor is concentrated in the kidney. No methastasis ,  X ray on chest came back clear. 

I am scared.... I know that this is an scenario that someone destined to have this "problem" would call  ideal, because it was detected early and  it  is relative small ...But I don not what t think....

I am afraid that now my life it will go down...that I will be scare all the time or even worse, that I have a death sentence....

Every time I talk with relatives and friend they give me the look like : poor guy and  that depress me , even if I feel great...

Wish me luck 

Carlos 

Comments

• JimHarrison36502
    JimHarrison36502 Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Hey brother...I was in your

Hey brother...I was in your shoes two months ago. I was diagnosed with RCC and had surgery just 3 weeks ago. It's not a death sentence and it sounds like your surgery should take care of it. My surgery went well and just to give you some advice... I'm thinking you'll be having lap robotic partial neph...Take you some good pillows and maybe your own blanket for your trip home. You'll need them. Maybe 3 pillows!! You'll probably have some serious shoulder pains after surgery for about 3 days... It's the gas they blow your abdomen up with. It'll pass.. the sooner you can get up and move around after surgery the better. I actually liked being up better than laying around in those short hospital beds!! Chapstick and chewing gum is your friend... My lips were chapped after surgery.. I guess that anesthesia did it. The first 4 days were my worst... After that it has gotten a little better each day. I'm 3 weeks and 4 days post op right now and I've been up and back to a somewhat normal routine minus work for about a week and a half. It's gonna take each of us a little different timeframe but should be close depending on your age and overall health at this time which sounds like you are in great shape. I'm 46 and was in great shape as well. Just keep a positive attitude no matter what the haters say... Pray a lot and God will answer them. He is the king of Kings ! Good luck to you and you can ask me whatever questions you may have. If I don't know the answer I can bet some of these guys will! Great group and glad you found us!!

• Bay Area Guy
    Bay Area Guy Member Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Carlos, we all have gone

Carlos, we all have gone through exactly the same feelings that you're going through right now.  You're right, friends and family hear the word cancer and they always think the worst.  Just remember, over the last coupe of years, treatment for kidey cancer has improved tremendously.  At 5.1 cm, your tumor is largerthan mine was at 1.7 cm, but I was no less scared than you are.  I had mine out about 18 months ago.  Monday, after the surgery is over, you're going to feel tired and run down for a month or two.  The fact that you're in such good shape right now (and no one can play two hours of soccer without being in great shap) is going to help you recover more quickly.  Take it wasy, but also make sure you try to walk.  Walking is a great way to take care of a lot of issues.  It will speed up your recovery even more.

Yes, your life will change a little bit, but it won't change for the worse.  It's going to change for the better because you'll have beaten cancer!

Best wishes for a really boring surgery and a really quick recovery.

• Cinnamongirl
    Cinnamongirl Member Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    You are not alone

Carlos, when I received my diagnosis my exact words were... I am not ready to die.

My tumor was 13.3 cm stage 2 grade 3.

I felt scared, lost, anxious, and literally every other emotion you can think of. However let me repeat..you are not alone. We have all been there. 

Joining this forum was the best thing I have done so far in my journey. The others in this group are supportive, honest about their experiences, informative, caring, understanding, and most of all accepting.

Surgery was scary for me but it went well. I had zero complications and went home in 20 hours. The first week after surgery was the toughest. Try to remember to stay hydrated. The pain meds will or can cause constipation. Go slow, allow yourself time to heal and even when you start to feel better remember it can take months for your insides to be healed.

I have found that the mental healing has been far harder than the physical. The anxiety and fear is real.

So when it gets to be too much just know we are here for you.

Prayers for you today and in the days to come.

Cin

• Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Carlos, we can appreciate and

Carlos, we can appreciate and understand your anxiety. But try really hard not to use up your precious energy for LIVING by worrying. As my mother would say, worrying is an insult to God! (if you believe)

And one thing I learned from this site early on, is the for most of us, the "c" word goes away with the surgery! So far it seems you are stage I and that is great for a full recovery and NED (no evidence of disease) for 5 years. 

I already have reached my 5 year mark must have to see the surgeon for the final good bye latter this month!

Have you ever had any abdominal surgeries? I have lots of tips if you want them.

Sending you CALMNESS, HOPE and HEALING HUGS!

Jan

• orchidgal
    orchidgal Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Right behind you

You are where I will be in 2 weeks and the ramping up of anxiety has begun. Feeling so drained by the buildup and the range of reaction to my situation from family and friends. Managing that is a gauntlet in itself. Plus I don’t look sick and have no symptoms. Tiring of being told how lucky I am but knowing it’s true. I have been lurking on this board since my “incidental “ finding and hope that you, as I, have found enormous comfort here. Good luck. 

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    edited February 2018 #7
    Options
    Yes, it's scary and we

Yes, it's scary and we understand because we've all been there. The anxiety, the fear of the future, yes, it's all part of it. I can honestly say that my fear of the surgery and recovery was way worse than the actual surgery and recovery which went well. You'll have some pain and that can be managed with medication. The anxiety and fear about the future will also lessen with time. Be patient with yourself and don't rush recovery. Drink lots of water and walk as much as possible. The walking helps to keep your lungs clear after anesthesia and surgery, and also helps in recovery. Wishing you all the best tomorrow! We're always here for you.

• Tapman63
    Tapman63 Member Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Not Far Behind You

I can't offer advice since I haven't had the surgery yet - mine is on Monday, 2/19 (two days after my 55th bday).  But I can tell you that you're not alone in your feelings.  I've run the gamut and have had some pretty low lows.  But...it sounds like for both of us there is a lot of positive news - so stay focused on that  Good luck on Monday and when you feel up to it, let us know how it went.  Best wishes!

• stevez
    stevez Member Posts: 51
    Options
    Clearly Not Alone

Great advice here so far about surgery prep and what to expect.  Also, know that we all felt that way and it's part of the roller coaster ride and new normal.  One thing that happened to me that i honestly wasn't expecting was that after the surgery and when the doctor says they got it all, then everyone thinks your totally cured.  And yet, you don't feel totally cured.  You have a new way of looking at life and looking over your shoulder. But as said, you have to stay positive and keep a positive attitude.  Get the best doctor you can and take responsibility for your own healthcare plan working with the best you can and don't obsessively worry on things you can't change.  Best of luck to you!  Prayers sent.  

• Retcenturion
    Retcenturion Member Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    It is interesting

It is interesting after your told you have cancer. I feel the mind games you make up about the situation is worse than the surgery. I wouldn't  volunteer having it  again but the other choices were worse. There is a wealth of information in recent posts here on the different type of surgeries. If you haven't read any go back and read them...a lot of your fears and questions will be answered. Good luck on your surgeries and positive thoughts to you and your loved ones.

• Angiebby75
    Angiebby75 Member Posts: 208 Member
    edited February 2018 #11
    Options
    I have been where you are,

I have been where you are, and I still have days like that.  I had my surgery 4 months ago. It does get better. I still have my days when I am in my feelings. But I try to trust in God and pray often. It helps me get through those days.  My minds wonders when I have random pains. I am trying to live each day with joy.  I think once you have the surgery some of the anxiety will go away.  Best wishes.

• AnnissaP
    AnnissaP Member Posts: 632 Member
    edited February 2018 #12
    Options
    Hi. I wish you nothing short

Hi. I wish you nothing short of a successful surgery and smooth recovery. I too had rcc and lost my kidney. I look at is as a gift. It changes your life, but in a good way. You will learn some tough, but great lessons along the way and it makes life better....not worse. Be encouraged my friend and know you are in good hands and not alone. During recovery be gentle and kind with yourself. Accept help and take the necessary time to heal. 

• Matt1979
    Matt1979 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Good luck today Carlos

Your story sounds almost exactly like mine before my surgery about 9 weeks ago.  Right down to the tumor size, locations, and the doc's opinion that it hadn't spread.  I was active right up till the day of the surgery too.  Despite being groggy when I woke up from the surgury, it was a great relief knowing it was gone.  It was a great feeling after all the weeks leading up to it, and you're almost there.  I had an open partial neph which had me stressed cause I wanted the robotic and hopefully a quicker recovery time.  Turns out I worried over nothing really, my recovery was very fast, and I was doing activities I shouldn't have 6 days later (which I don't reccomend, you pay for it a little later).  It will go by quick, and soon you'll be at a spot where you have to remind yourself not to do something to early into the recovery.  I kept forgetting not to scoop up my 7 year old son for a hug.  Good luck today!

• ImNotDeadYet
    ImNotDeadYet Member Posts: 244
    Options
    You're going to do great!

Just remember to be kind to yourself and allow yourself to heal. As others have said, get up moving around/walking as soon as you're able (and permitted). The more you walk, the sooner you'll go home after surgery. For me, I was in recovery for six weeks after my radical nephrectomy (full kidney removal), and I was still worn out by lunchtime my first day back to work. Everyone heals differently, so remember that your mileage may vary compared to others here. But ultimately, you will heal from surgery, and it will be behind you before you know it. 

Sorry you had to join this group, but glad you did find us. There are a lot of good people here with helpful advice and support. You're not alone - we're all behind you!

Gary