Oxaliplatin dose

Options
Sestra17
Sestra17 Member Posts: 68 Member

Hi group. I have received 6 doses of oxaliplatin on the FOLFOX regimen for a cumulative dose of 840 mg. I have been experiencing fairly severe neuropathy that continues until my next treatment. I’m concerned about the neuropathy continuing after chemo and how it will affect my quality of life. Has anyone else asked the Dr to decrease their dose and what if any effect on outcome? TIA

Comments

• OzarkGal
    OzarkGal Member Posts: 41
    Options
    Yep!

I have had 14 rounds of FOLFOX.  I didn't start having more notable side effects including neuropathy until round #10.  On round #14, I was ready to tell my onocologist that I wouldn't do anymore but now I am waiting for a surgery date.  On #14, he did lower it to a 75% dose of oxaliplatin.  My fingertips and feet bother me constantly.  My onocologist prescribed me something for nerve pain but I have not taken it because side effects of that are depression and suicide - like I don't have enough to worry about.

• Woodytele
    Woodytele Member Posts: 163
    Options
    Dose

i asked my onc to decrease the dose around #9, they can adjust it.  Most people have the same experience with Oxi.

• Mikenh
    Mikenh Member Posts: 777
    edited February 2018 #4
    Options
    I asked to decrease it on the

I asked to decrease it on the third round (I AM A WIMP!) and he dropped it to 80%. We'll see how long it lasts. I'm considering asking for 75% next round.

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Mikenh said:

I asked to decrease it on the

I asked to decrease it on the third round (I AM A WIMP!) and he dropped it to 80%. We'll see how long it lasts. I'm considering asking for 75% next round.

Did they warn whether that

Did they warn whether that was a bad thing? I am currently recovering from my liver resection, but am dreading going back on chemo. I know I have to because I am stage 4, but I am dreading it.

• Mikenh
    Mikenh Member Posts: 777
    Options
    abita said:

Did they warn whether that

Did they warn whether that was a bad thing? I am currently recovering from my liver resection, but am dreading going back on chemo. I know I have to because I am stage 4, but I am dreading it.

No, he said that it's common

No, he said that it's common though the timing is variable between people. I had a Pathological Complete Response and I may have an ace in the hole in case of a recurrance. So I'm a little more inclined to drop the dose. This round is slightly easier so far than #2 but it's also about 20 degrees warmer on average.

• SophDan2
    SophDan2 Member Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I had Folfox 5FU with Oxaliplatin

I had 12 rounds of Folfox 5FU with Oxaliplatin over a course of 6 months, which ended back on November 8th. The oxy was decreased by 20% for treatments 10 and 11, and eliminated for the final (12th) treatment. Like you, my concern was to not be left with neuropathy after the treatments were over. Unfortunately, it didn't show up until 2 weeks post treatment and is still there as of today. It is not intolerable, but is a bit aggravating at times. My hope is that the feeling will eventually subside, but time will tell.

Good luck getting through your treatments!

• Ruthmomto4
    Ruthmomto4 Member Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    My husband

had a ton of neuropathy but did not ask to cut it until treatment 9 which they did by 50% but even with that it did not go away in between treatments do they cut it completely for this one, number 10. They always asked how he was but until he told them to cut it no one offered.

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    Yes

My doctor unfortunately wouldn't reduce the amount and told me it was just a "nuisance"  and to continue on with the dose she was giving me.  Well 9 years later I'm still on medication for neuropathy because my hands and feet feel numb.  If I'm not able to take my medicine on time, I'll actually feel like my skin is crawling - it's a terrible feeling.  Don't let any doctor tell you to push through it.  Some people can take 12-15 doses and some can only tolerate a couple.  Let your voice be heard.  Listen to your body.  Guess trusting my doctor was not the right thing to do in this situation.

Kim