Just found Throat Cancer(supraglottis)with spread to the neck.

Options
2»

Comments

• Darkdancer333
    Darkdancer333 Member Posts: 115 Member
    edited February 2018 #22
    Options
    Try and stay postivie is not

Try and stay postivie is not an easy thing. But you have one advantage and thats music. I remember when my first divorce I thought the world was going to end but i was able to pick myself up with certain songs. believe it or not Eddy Money's " Walk on Water" boosted my confidence and well being.

Yesterday I felt a boost by several Scorpion's songs.. Music is great therapy .So much music out there to help in this time of despair. Remember God doesn't give us more then we can handle. J

• Bill1958
    Bill1958 Member Posts: 67
    Options
    Staying positive

I am trying to get a positive mindset and going back to one-day-at-a-time and to only tackle what is known.  This works but My hope for yesterday was to atleast have an idea of what I am fighting and this just did not happen.  Music and my family and friends are all I have right now.  This CSN group is really helping me and I thank all of you for your inspiring words.  I do believe in positive thinking and calling on a higher power, which I am doing to the best of my ability also!  

• dcole2820
    dcole2820 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2018 #24
    Options
    your not alone

Hi Bill my husband had the same thing happen to him.  He is a survivor.  We found out he had Squamous Cell Carcinoma Feb., 2013.  He is out 5 years.  if you need to chat about anything we would be happy to talk to you whatever you need.

• dcole2820
    dcole2820 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2018 #25
    Options
    darlymay said:

Hi everyone! I am Darla, Bill

Hi everyone! I am Darla, Bill's wife and caretaker!  This site has been a blessing to him, and I am seeing why!  I watched my mom die from ovarian cancer almost 24 years ago, and the pain and images never go away. But friends, family and this site are pulling for Bill and with so much love and positive energy, it can only get better!!  Thank you all so much for your thoughts, kind words and prayers!  We will get through this!!! 

Hi Darla

Hi Darla,  My name is Donna.  My husband Richard was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma feb of 2013.  He was stage 4.  He had a radical neck disection.  They took his tonsils, scraped his voice box and took 54 lymph nodes out of head and neck.   He had cancer in 9 of them.  He has a hard time eating and has a feeding tube.  He is now cancer free and been out 5 years.  We are truly blessed.  If we can ever answer any questions for you please don't hesitate to ask.  It has been hard as the care giver and if you ever need someone i am here.  

• Bill1958
    Options
    dcole2820 said:

your not alone

Hi Bill my husband had the same thing happen to him.  He is a survivor.  We found out he had Squamous Cell Carcinoma Feb., 2013.  He is out 5 years.  if you need to chat about anything we would be happy to talk to you whatever you need.

Waiting on more tests

Thanks for the response dcole2820.  It really helps to hear other's stories.  The worse part is the waiting and the unknown.  I want to fight but I just don't know what I'm fighting.  Now I found myself admitted into the hospital because of chest pains(I have 2 stents from CAD 2 years ago).  Not a heart attack but they are keeping me here anyway to observe.  The good thing is they are giving me pain meds that work for my neck mass and headaches!  The bad news is the anguish my family is going through with all this!  The cardiac folks are going to give me a stress test but this is my 3rd day in the hospital and it is not much of a positive for us!

• dwp155
    dwp155 Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Hang in there brother!

Bill it sounds like you are getting the right attitude and with that you can get through this.  It won't be easy but it will be an experience that will change your life and I choose to let it make me better.  It works I promise.  I am 63 and 10 weeks post treatment for 3 lymph nodes and the base of the tongue, 36 rad 6 chemo in 6 wks. Do what your doctor says and make sure you tell them everything.  If they don't have a support team willing to help - find another doctor.  I changed after the 1st oncologist had my mask made and radiation scheduled for 2 weeks.  My responsibilty was 2,000 calories a day, 2 liters of water and a bottle of electroylytes and all the mouth and skin care.  The doctors worried about nauseau, saliva, throat soreness, blah blah blah.  But if they see that you are doing your part and trying what they are offering they are so willing to help. Ask anything, I blogged to get me through it if you want to look at MY experience www.cancerguy.blog.  Good Luck!

Don

• Bill1958
    Options
    More scope today and plans for still unknown culpret

Today brought more endoscopy that shows what they call malignant neoplasm of true vocal chord  . Have had several blood test to rule out infection and all negative so far allthough he put me on antibiotocs.  Also there is a node that looks supicious on the supraglottis. and the appearant large neoplasm of the neck.  Fine needle biospy showed inconclusive results for cancer.  The Head and neck oncoligist says it is cancer and he thinks it is a metasisized cancer on the large neck mass that may have come from a possibility of several individual places(He did check my head for bumps and said he is not sure where the original cancer is).  So the plan is surgery this tuesday to get a piece of the large neck mass(Node) and of a couple more abnormal looking nodes and of the the other appearant neoplasms.  This will hopefully show what type of cancer and it's originating location so as a petscan can be done(Insurance needs positive cancer result to allow the scan).  This may get a treatment plan going or atleast get the staging process moving so as I can make my own decisions on what to do.  Not sure but I hope for my family(and yes for me) that all this leaves us a fight at the very least and a cure remission or whatever name there is at the most.  Peace and love and hope to all here!

• Darkdancer333
    Options
    When you have your PET scan

When you have your PET scan you will know what the fight is about. I waited two days for my PET results. I know I had BOT but not sure anywhere else.

Its like once you know what your up against then you can prepare. You like me are in the right age group for HPV+ This is when the biopsy will reveal all.

As hard as things get keep the faith.

I am with you all the way Rocker Boy :)

• Bill1958
    Options
    Thank you Darkdancer

The unknown is like the Twilight Zone and you are right:  Knowing what we are up against is what we're waiting for!  Gonna keep on rockin in the free world!

• Darkdancer333
    Options
    Bill1958 said:

Thank you Darkdancer

The unknown is like the Twilight Zone and you are right:  Knowing what we are up against is what we're waiting for!  Gonna keep on rockin in the free world!

You dont know how many times

You dont know how many times I watch the MTV award video with Pearl Jam and Neil Young. I get goosies when Eddie Vedder comes in second, third verse with that raspy voice.

In  fact in the late 70's I was a concrete sales man and we did a big job on Neil Youngs house in Redwoods California. The Redwoods on Skyline. His wife and kids were hippy throw backs.

He had a room in the house about 700 square feet that was all model trains.. The double LP Rust Never Sleeps is one of my all time favorites. Powder in the finger, Cortez, so many great songs on that 

live LP

• Pclark21st
    Pclark21st Member Posts: 126
    Options
    Waiting is the worst

Bill...we went to hospital 12/15 and had to wait inside until 12/29 before they could give us comprehensive results with best recommended treatment plan...it was murder not knowing.  Once we got plan we were ready for the fight of our lives...which we are still in battle.   However, now I'm glad they took the time to gather the right medical team for us and the best plan in place as our problems are very extensive with many levels.  I was told several times when I pushed for answers that a couple days will not change anything and will be better for us in the future.  So he took that time to prepare for battle and I took that time to put affairs in order to help me move forward by getting updated health care proxy in place, got Power of Attorney in place and updated Will.  I also took the time to research all that I was up against and what we needed to home to move through this process.  All to say, let them do all they can to get it right and allow your family to prepare.  Good luck and just remember to breathe.  Were6here for you and your family.

• Bill1958
    Options

Waiting is the worst

Bill...we went to hospital 12/15 and had to wait inside until 12/29 before they could give us comprehensive results with best recommended treatment plan...it was murder not knowing.  Once we got plan we were ready for the fight of our lives...which we are still in battle.   However, now I'm glad they took the time to gather the right medical team for us and the best plan in place as our problems are very extensive with many levels.  I was told several times when I pushed for answers that a couple days will not change anything and will be better for us in the future.  So he took that time to prepare for battle and I took that time to put affairs in order to help me move forward by getting updated health care proxy in place, got Power of Attorney in place and updated Will.  I also took the time to research all that I was up against and what we needed to home to move through this process.  All to say, let them do all they can to get it right and allow your family to prepare.  Good luck and just remember to breathe.  Were6here for you and your family.

Waiting and the unknown

Good points Pclark21st.  Living in the North East of the US brings us spring-like weather and it just invigurates my spirit.  Tomorrow is surgery for more biopsies and hopefully more answers to the battle ahead!  This discussion network is the only place I can really let out how I am feeling and I thank everyone on here for that.  Breath in, breath out is all I got today as time ticks away!

• Pclark21st
    Pclark21st Member Posts: 126
    Options
    Bill1958 said:

Waiting and the unknown

Good points Pclark21st.  Living in the North East of the US brings us spring-like weather and it just invigurates my spirit.  Tomorrow is surgery for more biopsies and hopefully more answers to the battle ahead!  This discussion network is the only place I can really let out how I am feeling and I thank everyone on here for that.  Breath in, breath out is all I got today as time ticks away!

Are you around Boston

if so then you are very lucky to be in the Northeast area with access in your backyard to some of the best cancer docs in the country.  I live down by Cape Cod and we have had a fabulous Winter and Spring is knocking on the door.  I agree that this discussion board is very helpful for releasing and receiving from only people who can truly understand this journey.

• Bill1958
    edited February 2018 #35
    Options
    Very curious and unsure how to feel after surgery

The Neck and Throat oncologist has biopsied the following three things in my surgery today:  1.  Large Neck mass(hard swollem lymph node on neck[very visible]) and measured at 5 - 7 cm by removing piece;  removed piece of enlarged node in throat by core needle and not sure if slice was taken; removed piece of small node on voice box.  None of the three things showed cancer as to what the doctor said. The tissue is being sent out for further testing. He said this is rare for him and it is all rare as to what's happening.  He has ordered a full pet scan asap.  I have no idea how to feel about this.  

• rcaulder
    rcaulder Member Posts: 70
    edited February 2018 #36
    Options
    You are never alone

Deuteronomy 31.6  Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD your God, he it is that does go with you; he will not fail you, nor forsake you.

Look to Him always in everything. God never loses an opportunity even in hardship to draw our eyes to Him. As long as you're alive it's never to late to improve and change. God forgives our past so should we.  You will be ok.

• Bill1958
    Options
    Not Head and neck Cancer in General: Lymphoma B Cell

My Onocoligist just called and he the labs have ID'd my cancer as Lymphoma B Cell.  They are switching me to another team and it is just begining for my family and me!  My Grandmother had this disease too in the 1960's and left us way too soon!  Thank you everybody on this thread for the informative and kind words.  Peace to everybody from me and my wife Darla!!!

• Darkdancer333
    edited March 2018 #38
    Options
    Bill1958 said:

Not Head and neck Cancer in General: Lymphoma B Cell

My Onocoligist just called and he the labs have ID'd my cancer as Lymphoma B Cell.  They are switching me to another team and it is just begining for my family and me!  My Grandmother had this disease too in the 1960's and left us way too soon!  Thank you everybody on this thread for the informative and kind words.  Peace to everybody from me and my wife Darla!!!

At least now you know what

At least now you know what you are dealing with. Let the fight begin

Sorry about your grandmother but the way they treat cancer today is so much more efficient. 

Just the last 10 years things have improved so much. 

We are all with you

• Bill1958
    Options
    Truth Darkdancer333

Knowing some truth is a begining to this battle.  Thanks for being here, it really helps!